• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adams' earlier Batman work?

6 posts in this topic

I was just wondering, how Adams' earlier Batman work on a title such as B and B holds up in value compared to his few years later run on Batman. Are B and B pieces held in as high regard as his Bats pieces, because his workmanship was still in its infancy or are later Batman images much more cherished, as they have the "Adams look" with the long ears and all. Maybe the only difference is the fact that Brave and the Bold pages, are just that...they aren't Batman pages. I guess what I'm really asking is in comic art, is an artists "rookie card" just as desired as his 10th year "All Star card" when he's a surefire hall of famer? Any input or thoughts?

Jim

I think we all know when an artist's "prime" period is. In Adams' case, as it relates to Batman, it would not have been his B&B period. I would peg it around the time of BATMAN 220's, culminating in 251.

I think we all know when an artist's "prime" period is. In Adams' case, as it relates to Batman, it would not have been his B&B period. I would peg it around the time of BATMAN 220's, culminating in 251.

I agree...hisB&B work is his earliest Batman, before he really made the character his "own"...and accentuated the ears, and explored and exploded some of the earlier boundaries of the character.

The B&B time period began around 1968, and if you want to see GREAT Adams Batman that comes in around 1972-73. The demand and the prices follow that pattern as well from what I experienced personally.

Best,

Chris

I totally agree with you when his "prime period" is...I was just wondering if early work on the same character is held in similar regard or not.

Jim

Well...from what I have seen. You could have had the page one splash from one of his earliest Batman stories in B&B for about $6k as late as last year while later Batman splashes from the peak period have sold between $12k and $28k.

So in terms of regard of Adams Batman...the highest regarded are from "Batman" then come the "Detective" issues and finally the "B&B" issues.

The most desireable Adams pages are ones where he inks himself, followed by Giordano inks, everyone else lags behind.

Chris

Chris is dead on with this assessment. B&B pages are moving north, but do not expect them to ever hit Batman and Detective prices. Some B&B pages have appreciated higher with when looking at who Batman teamed up. I think B&B 85 (Green Arrow) will sell for more than B&B 81 and B&B 83 (Teen Titans). I also believe that the SGT Rock team up would sell for more. The problem with B&B 79 (Deadman) is that those pages have had a lot of exposure from multiple sellers in different auction venues.

Ciao,

PRC

juggle.gif