• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acid Free Boards... Which side do I use?

42 posts in this topic

Maybe this has been talked about before, but I'll admit, I've never really known. I see some people use the "glossy" side of the board to put their books against, while other people use the "dull" side. So what's the verdict?

Alleged "acid-free" boards that have a "glossy" and a "dull" are not actually acid -free at all. You shouldn't use them for any length of time. And I seriously doubt it matters.

About a year ago I think FFB did a little test checking the two sides and came up with the glossy/shiny side being the better of the two.

I believe someone else then posted relief that they had been bagging correctly all along.

I personally use the glossy side.

About a year ago I think FFB did a little test checking the two sides and came up with the glossy/shiny side being the better of the two.

I believe someone else then posted relief that they had been bagging correctly all along.

I personally use the glossy side.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif........ gossip.gifSee post above yours.

Alleged "acid-free" boards that have a "glossy" and a "dull" are not actually acid -free at all. You shouldn't use them for any length of time. And I seriously doubt it matters.

It does matter.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post916413

Good job Brain.

My memory wasn't too far off, and apparently it was Aces that I recalled was glad he was bagging them correctly. grin.gif

I'm surprised no one else knows about this method (you call yourselves comic book collectors! 893naughty-thumb.gif)

You like one side of the board, and count to 1,234...if you're not tripping by then, that's the acid-free side thumbsup2.gif

I'm surprised no one else knows about this method (you call yourselves comic book collectors! 893naughty-thumb.gif)

You like one side of the board, and count to 1,234...if you're not tripping by then, that's the acid-free side thumbsup2.gif

confused.gif...I like the glossy side, I don't think I need to lick a backing board to know

the difference. poke2.gif

You LICK one side of the board, and count to 1,234...if you're not tripping by then, that's the acid-free side thumbsup2.gif

confused.gif...I like the glossy side, I don't think I need to lick a backing board to know

the difference. poke2.gif

Hehe - dammit, that woulda been funny if I'd bothered to spell-check Christo_pull_hair.gif

The glossy side is the side that is supposed to face the book. It is buffered to combat acidity. It is coated with a calcium mixture which naturally retains a neutral pH, I think.

The key words here, of course, are "I think" . . . makepoint.gif

I think grin.gif that shiny-sided coated boards advertised as "acid-free" aren't really. These often seem to be sold by companies that also offer "acid-free bags," which is akin to sugar-free potato chips or sodium-free chocolate bars. If acid-free is truly a concern, stick with boards from E. Gerber or Bill Cole Enterprises that specify their ph level and adherence to government standards, not those which are mysteriously "independent lab tested." Since I plan to keep my books for a while, the .30-odd cents for a Mylar and board isn't that much extra on top of a book's cost, even for common BA material.

From Bill Cole's "Storage and Preservation of Comic Books" article:

ACID FREE BOARDS AND BOXES

Because ordinary cardboard is itself acidic, storage in cardboard boxes may be hazardous to your collection, and is a leading cause of premature deterioration of comic collections. For proper storage, only acid free boards that meet the US Government's MINIMUM requirements are acceptable. These requirements have been defined as boards having a 3% calcium carbonate buffer throughout and a minimum pH of 8.5. Anything less will hasten your collection's destruction. While many advertisers claim that their boards are "acid free at time of manufacture," they are in reality only spray coated with an alkaline substance making them acid free for only a very short time. Boards termed "acid free at time of manufacture" do not offer sufficient protection or storage for anything other than short term. True acid free boards have been impregnated with a calcium buffer resulting in an acid free, alkaline pH content of 8.5 throughout.

I think grin.gif that shiny-sided coated boards advertised as "acid-free" aren't really. These often seem to be sold by companies that also offer "acid-free bags," which is akin to sugar-free potato chips or sodium-free chocolate bars. If acid-free is truly a concern, stick with boards from E. Gerber or Bill Cole Enterprises that specify their ph level and adherence to government standards, not those which are mysteriously "independent lab tested." Since I plan to keep my books for a while, the .30-odd cents for a Mylar and board isn't that much extra on top of a book's cost, even for common BA material.

From Bill Cole's "Storage and Preservation of Comic Books" article:

ACID FREE BOARDS AND BOXES

Because ordinary cardboard is itself acidic, storage in cardboard boxes may be hazardous to your collection, and is a leading cause of premature deterioration of comic collections. For proper storage, only acid free boards that meet the US Government's MINIMUM requirements are acceptable. These requirements have been defined as boards having a 3% calcium carbonate buffer throughout and a minimum pH of 8.5. Anything less will hasten your collection's destruction. While many advertisers claim that their boards are "acid free at time of manufacture," they are in reality only spray coated with an alkaline substance making them acid free for only a very short time. Boards termed "acid free at time of manufacture" do not offer sufficient protection or storage for anything other than short term. True acid free boards have been impregnated with a calcium buffer resulting in an acid free, alkaline pH content of 8.5 throughout.

What he said. sumo.gifgrin.gif

Hmmm, If I have my stuff in mylites and halfbacks, but still in normal long/short boxes, is that bad? Do I need to invest in some other type of box?

No, probably not . . . unless, of course, you are a FANatic! 27_laughing.gif

Acid-buffered boxes are produced by both E. Gerber and Bill Cole, and don't cost significantly more than regular cardboard, so why not?