• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acid Free Boards... Which side do I use?

42 posts in this topic

The glossy side is the side that is supposed to face the book. It is buffered to combat acidity. It is coated with a calcium mixture which naturally retains a neutral pH, I think.

The key words here, of course, are "I think" . . . makepoint.gif

27_laughing.gif

Hmmm, If I have my stuff in mylites and halfbacks, but still in normal long/short boxes, is that bad? Do I need to invest in some other type of box?

No, probably not . . . unless, of course, you are a FANatic! 27_laughing.gif

Acid-buffered boxes are produced by both E. Gerber and Bill Cole, and don't cost significantly more than regular cardboard, so why not?

I don't like the acid free boxes because they aren't very sturdy. I just purchased a stash of the drawer boxes, and they offer ease of access and they are very sturdy. My comics are in fullbacks with Mylite IIs.

V/R,

Mike

My question is - I like using two boards in one bag for some of my nicer comics, do I have to use fullbacks for both boards or can I use a single fullback for the board that touches the comic and a "regular" i.e. cheap board for the extra support?

Can the second board damage the comic in any way just be being sealed in a mylite with it?

Glossy against the book!

I think ...

That's it!

You can write on the dull side opposite the book this way too. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe this has been talked about before, but I'll admit, I've never really known. I see some people use the "glossy" side of the board to put their books against, while other people use the "dull" side. So what's the verdict?

The side that doesn't charge you for the acid makepoint.gif

The glossy side is the side that is supposed to face the book. It is buffered to combat acidity. It is coated with a calcium mixture which naturally retains a neutral pH, I think.

I don't remember all of that stuff off hand. It's all in my book. yeahok.gif

I don't remember all of that stuff off hand. It's all in my book. yeahok.gif

Nice plug King 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hello All: This may be off topic but I am new here so please go easy on me. I am curious about older boards. I am just getting back into the hobby after a ten year hiatus and since that time my collection has been sitting in storage bagged and boarded. But the boards I bought ten years ago were light brown in colour (similar to a file folder). Moreover, they may, or may not be acid free. I am not sure.

Should I be concerned about these older boards and any potential damage they may do? Should I consider replacing them with the new white "acid free" boards?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, thank you!

P.S. Great forum by the way!

WTB DWL

Wow, a whole sentence with no vowels.

Before you start fretting about acid free and such, suggest you have a look at BangZoom's books here:BangZoom's amazing books

As one reads the thread it is clear that the books survived (and continue to) in the mere gossamer of PVC.

Don't fret. Get the acid free boards as necessary and replace the ones you have.

I'm weird. I'm not a collector and I don't deal. But one retailer suggested this method. Take a board, put it in a bag, then put that into another bag and put your comic in that. That way you comic still gets the stiff board to keep it from warping, but doesn't touch the cardboard. I redid my entire collection that way.

It was an excellent way for him to sell more bags!

My question is - I like using two boards in one bag for some of my nicer comics, do I have to use fullbacks for both boards or can I use a single fullback for the board that touches the comic and a "regular" i.e. cheap board for the extra support?

Can the second board damage the comic in any way just be being sealed in a mylite with it?

Yes, absolutely - it is the cardboard itself that off-gasses. Contact is irrelevant. If you use a non-buffered board in a sealed Mylite, it will off-gas, and will discolor your comic, and lessen the page quality. The buffer in the buffered board may help neutralize some, but not all. One Full back is sufficient support.

WTB DWL

Wow, a whole sentence with no vowels.

Before you start fretting about acid free and such, suggest you have a look at BangZoom's books here:BangZoom's amazing books

As one reads the thread it is clear that the books survived (and continue to) in the mere gossamer of PVC.

Don't fret. Get the acid free boards as necessary and replace the ones you have.

WRONG! It is precisely because BangZoom's books did not have boards at all that the books preserved better. The sole purpose of a board is to limit damage caused by handling. sumo.gif The page quality of books stored in plastic before the availability of boards is amazing. Hey, they made a mistake . . . but you don't think anyone who sells these things is going to own up to it, do you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hello All: This may be off topic but I am new here so please go easy on me. I am curious about older boards. I am just getting back into the hobby after a ten year hiatus and since that time my collection has been sitting in storage bagged and boarded. But the boards I bought ten years ago were light brown in colour (similar to a file folder). Moreover, they may, or may not be acid free. I am not sure.

Should I be concerned about these older boards and any potential damage they may do? Should I consider replacing them with the new white "acid free" boards?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, thank you!

P.S. Great forum by the way!

Your boards are slowly killing your comics . . . replace them immediately sumo.gif

Enough to make you question why we collectors board comics at all. I can understand dealers doing it as their books will be handled a lot but books in a collection being re-read once every 5 years or so - is it really worth it?

They do look nicer boarded in the box, but the cost not to mention the extra space thousands of boards take up???

Earl.

Enough to make you question why we collectors board comics at all. I can understand dealers doing it as their books will be handled a lot but books in a collection being re-read once every 5 years or so - is it really worth it?

They do look nicer boarded in the box, but the cost not to mention the extra space thousands of boards take up???

Earl.

My books are not as prim and proper as most of the guys here because I let my son handle them. For me the backer help as box diving occurs quite often.

Hello All:

Thank you for the feedback. Very helpful. I want to especially thank Duffman_comics for pointing me to the BoomZang thread! I would never have found that thread on my own.

Wow! Seeing that collection helped put my measly silver age collection into perspective.

Given that mine is a personal collection rarely handled very often I am not going to worry too much about changing the boards.