• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

Is anyone else going to post some cool artwork?

I have a nice cover coming in any day now...will post a scan when it arrives.

BTW, I went to Metropolis Collectibles (aka Metropolis Comics) today to pick up some purchases - turns out their office is just 4 blocks away from mine. Pretty amazing get-up. Everywhere you turn there's an amazing piece of original art or three. The cover to House of Secrets 92 was my fave, as well as a nice Steranko X-Men cover (that killer one that Odin88 likes so much) that was just propped up against the wall and not even hanging. I met Vincent for the first time as well as a couple of the other guys there. Really nice people and a pleasure to do business with.

Gene

Is anyone else going to post some cool artwork?

I have a nice cover coming in any day now...will post a scan when it arrives.

BTW, I went to Metropolis Collectibles (aka Metropolis Comics) today to pick up some purchases - turns out their office is just 4 blocks away from mine. Pretty amazing get-up. Everywhere you turn there's an amazing piece of original art or three. The cover to House of Secrets 92 was my fave, as well as a nice Steranko X-Men cover (that killer one that Odin88 likes so much) that was just propped up against the wall and not even hanging. I met Vincent for the first time as well as a couple of the other guys there. Really nice people and a pleasure to do business with.

Gene

Do they still have the Frankenstein six sheet up? That is beautiful! I have spent many,many hours at Metropolis and they always have something new and amazing there cloud9.gif

Here ya go Steve...I wanted to wait until I got a better picture of it before adding it to this thread but I will submit the following now in leau of a better pic...

LOTR painting by Charles Vess ~ Commisioned by me in 1979

lotr.jpg

Here ya go Steve...I wanted to wait until I got a better picture of it before adding it to this thread but I will submit the following now in leau of a better pic...

LOTR painting by Charles Vess ~ Commisioned by me in 1978

lotr.jpg

You ever get a hold of him? flamed.gif

LOTR painting by Charles Vess ~ Commisioned by me in 1978

lotr.jpg

You ever get a hold of him? flamed.gif

Nah...I gave up on that... 893frustrated.gif

VERY COOL!

Vess rocks! I don't have piece by him yet frown.gif

I hope you will post again when you do get a better picture of this!

Will do... thumbsup2.gif

I plan on taking it to Staples or Office Max to have it scanned... wink.gif

Do they still have the Frankenstein six sheet up?

I think it was still there, but as my mind was totally boggled by all the great artwork everywhere, I can't remember with certainty!

One of the guys told me when he started working there, the original cover to Ghost Rider #1 was hanging over the toilet in the restroom! When a great piece like that doesn't merit more than a spot on the bathroom wall, you can only imagine what kind of artwork occupies the prime wall space in the office!!

Gene

Is anyone else going to post some cool artwork? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I won't keep this thread going if no one else wants it frown.gif

Attached is my latest ebay win cloud9.gif

If anyone knows how to post this picture bigger, I would not mind the help blush.gif

Somebody please find me some nice Aparo and Breyfogle pieces from the Batman title! smile.gif

Always looking for:

-Ghosts #1 original art

-Aparo and Breyfogle pieces from the Batman title

Thanks!

DAM

Is anyone else going to post some cool artwork? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I won't keep this thread going if no one else wants it frown.gif

Keep it going. I don't have anything to post, but love looking at what's posted by others.

Hi Steve,

Here are a couple of my latest original art acquisitions. The original covers to Crisis #6 and Crisis #8. The #8 is one of my favorite covers of all time, and truly historic in the DC universe. Don't ask how much I paid......it was very painful.....all cash. The #7 won't ever be for sale, otherwise I'd REALLY be in the poor house by now smile.gif

Hope you like 'em.

Crisis #6

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/crisis6.jpg

Crisis #8

http://www.nighthawkcomics.com/art/crisis8.jpg

I've got a cool Miller piece coming in soon, so I'll try and post that.

Anyone interested in comicart should join the comicart-l yahoo group. Art is posted there all the time. Most comic art collectors don't collect books, let alone CGC, so they won't be posting art on these boards.

Best,

Hi Steve,

Mankuta still has some of the covers, but the only "key" cover he still has is #7 (Death of Supergirl), which is arguably the biggest key book in the run. He sold the other keys....#s 1, 8 and 12. They are all in permanent collections now. To me, the #8 is the key cover and book of the run, and the one I remember most. The #7 just didn't do it for me, for some reason.

Best,

Just acquired this unbelievable painting of Vampirella by Warren cover artist Enric Torres (aka Enrich). This museum-quality piece was done as a commission for a gallery in Spain and measures a whopping 39"x52". That's even bigger than it sounds - it's well over 7 times as large as a typical Enric cover and nearly 11 times as large as a typical piece of comic art. Just unrolling the darn thing was a challenge!

Many thanks go out to Tom Fleming of Fanfare Sports and Entertainment (www.fanfare-se.com), a class act among original art dealers, for brokering the deal for this awesome work of art.

vampirella%20enrich%20commission%20large.jpg

Just acquired this unbelievable painting of Vampirella by Warren cover artist Enric Torres (aka Enrich). This museum-quality piece was done as a commission for a gallery in Spain and measures a whopping 39"x52". That's even bigger than it sounds - it's well over 7 times as large as a typical Enric cover and nearly 11 times as large as a typical piece of comic art. Just unrolling the darn thing was a challenge!

Many thanks go out to Tom Fleming of Fanfare Sports and Entertainment (www.fanfare-se.com), a class act among original art dealers, for brokering the deal for this awesome work of art.

vampirella%20enrich%20commission%20large.jpg

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Really nice Gene! 39x52 is a really big painting. You say that you had to unroll it??? Did it come to you as just the canvas? What are you going to do w/ it? Framing is going to cost you a pretty penny for sure! Really a stunning piece! Congrats!

Chris

Really nice Gene! 39x52 is a really big painting. You say that you had to unroll it??? Did it come to you as just the canvas? What are you going to do w/ it? Framing is going to cost you a pretty penny for sure! Really a stunning piece! Congrats!

Thanks, Chris! It did indeed come to me unframed and rolled in a big tube (I had it shipped to my office and my colleagues joked that it was huge enough to store a rocket-propelled grenade launcher). I didn't realize just how large the painting was going to be - I really don't have enough space in my apartment to display it properly. frown.gif I will have to display it at my parents' house or keep it stored safely until I get a bigger place. 893frustrated.gif

Gene