• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

OK...Finally got some of my stuff scanned (Shout out to Lantern for making this possible! thumbsup2.gif Thanks, bro!). So, for your viewing pleasure:

284167-buzz.jpg

This is by Buzz (the artist that Dam, Gene, and I have been raving about). Pretty cool Dream & Death drawing.

Chris

284167-buzz.jpg.c83d3ffa1369d6f44c5c9f61fe65c667.jpg

The next few are from "Zen Artist" Andy Lee. I picked these up at the Philly and B'more shows. Watercolor and Rice Papaer. He does these in like 10 minutes. If he's ever at a show, I recommend at least watching him do one.

284170-batman.jpg

284170-batman.jpg.76f5cfabd3398af32ce414e653821314.jpg

One more thing....Here's a page from the color guide to Issue #41 of 100 Bullets. I thought that this was pretty cool....

284188-bulletts.jpg

And the back side so you can see the color bleed thru....

284190-bulletts2.jpg

Chris

284188-bulletts.jpg.1dc83b5c7768ddad6ecf86d98a831431.jpg

Mildly sign-offtopic.gif ...

Do you guys have any particular characters that you commission on a regular basis? I know a guy who writes a couple different books that tries to get all his "Industry" cohorts to do sketches of Hellboy for him. Me, I like Ragman. I always try to get SOMEONE to do a Ragman when I go to shows... insane.gif Anyone else do this? (Obviously, Del has some *strange* obsession with that chick in the weird swimsuit...) wink.gif

Obviously, Del has some *strange* obsession with that chick in the weird swimsuit...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

For the most part, I can't get too excited about pictures of sweaty dudes wearing spandex (if I wanted to see that, I'd just go to my local gym...ba da boomp!) So, in terms of collecting both finished art and commissioning new art, I've focused on characters of the fairer sex...Vampi, Elektra, Gwen Stacy, Arwyn, Shi, Red Sonja. Nowadays, though, I'm focused on the Drakulonian in the gravity-defying swimsuit...she just looks so damn good when done right. One of these days I'm going to see if I can get Greg Land to do a Vampirella commission...now that would be something to see!

Gene

Obviously, Del has some *strange* obsession with that chick in the weird swimsuit...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

For the most part, I can't get too excited about pictures of sweaty dudes wearing spandex (if I wanted to see that, I'd just go to my local gym...ba da boomp!) So, in terms of collecting both finished art and commissioning new art, I've focused on characters of the fairer sex...Vampi, Elektra, Gwen Stacy, Arwyn, Shi, Red Sonja. Nowadays, though, I'm focused on the Drakulonian in the gravity-defying swimsuit...she just looks so damn good when done right. One of these days I'm going to see if I can get Greg Land to do a Vampirella commission...now that would be something to see!

Gene

Hey! There's nothing homoerotic about the tatterdemalion! sumo.gif

See, my thinking (aside from really enjoying the original Ragman series), is that the character design leaves a LOT of room for interpretation, which seems to excite the artists quite a bit and that often leads to some really neat work.

And: Mmmm. Greg Land Vampirella............... cloud9.gif

Thanks Matt!

I have the entire issue #41 color guide> It is the only one I own, and I had never seen one before. I was really surprised at how cool it was. They are 8-1/2"x11" size, and the paper is kind of like a thick tracing paper. The colors on these are so brillaint. Much more so than on the printed page. I have a few actual pages of art from the series as well. I'll post those up in a few weeks.

And Khaos...to answer your question, although I only posted one piece of each, there are two characters I like to try to get pieces of. Agent Graves (from 100 Bullets) and Dr. Doom. I have a few sketches plus some pages with Doom on them. And I have 2 pages from 100 Bullets w/ Agent Graves. I've been thinking to add V to list, as I really like the Andy Lee painting and he seemed really enthused to do it (as it isn't a request he ever gets. Why would he get that request? I dunno).

Chris

Do you guys have any particular characters that you commission on a regular basis? I know a guy who writes a couple different books that tries to get all his "Industry" cohorts to do sketches of Hellboy for him. Me, I like Ragman. I always try to get SOMEONE to do a Ragman when I go to shows... insane.gif Anyone else do this?

A lot of people do it. The last show I was at, for example, I saw a Superman book and a Death book.

This guy has one of the coolest themed collections- www.thecliffguy.com.

Do you guys have any particular characters that you commission on a regular basis? I know a guy who writes a couple different books that tries to get all his "Industry" cohorts to do sketches of Hellboy for him. Me, I like Ragman. I always try to get SOMEONE to do a Ragman when I go to shows... insane.gif Anyone else do this?

A lot of people do it. The last show I was at, for example, I saw a Superman book and a Death book.

This guy has one of the coolest themed collections- www.thecliffguy.com.

That's AWESOME!!!!! What a great idea! He's certainly taken the "open to interpretation" idea to a new level! (And that second Larsen is hysterical!)

Just popped my original art cherry. blush.gif

I'm a huge fan of Michael Turner. In High school, I put comics aside. For one thing, it was the mid 90's and the comics SUCKED, but mostly it was just because of changing priorities. Witchblade came out at that time, and Turner became big. A friend showed me a copy of Withcblade #4, and the art blew me away. So basically, the only comics I touched at that time were the ones drawn by him.

Anyway, quality Turner original art is very hard to find, as I'm thinking that he probably keeps most of it. This is not a published work, and really isn't a huge deal, but for me it's quite a find. Like Gene, I care more about art that's visually appealing to me, whether it has provenance or not. It's 11X14 on board. The image is a little blurry, and I'm sure it dosen't do it justice.

Fathom