• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super-Con 2007 Report with Cho/Charest Art Day!

8 posts in this topic

OK, I admit, the headline is a tease. Before anyone gets too excited, the Charest is a freebie sketch and the Cho is a...well, let's call it a "semi-Cho":

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=271136&GSub=41852

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=271137&GSub=41851

Nonetheless, they are my first Charest and Cho pieces and there's a good story behind each of them!

Overall, this was another great Super-Con. Had a highly enjoyable time marveling at the Sanjulian beauties in person and chatting with the artists (especially Buzz who has an encyclopedic knowlege of Asian comics). It was also cool to meet so many fellow CAF'ers, most of whom I've only talked to via e-mail.

I'm in the East Bay, so Oakland is a lot more convenient for me, but I did feel that San Jose had an energy that just wasn't there in Oakland. I thought the venue was perfect, along with lots of parking and places to eat.

Already looking forward to Super-Con 2008!

Felix

WOOOOOOOW! The Rocketeer a la Charest!

And your Cho is really cool. I am really jealous! Travis wasn't doing anymore sketches when I asked him frown.gif

Who cares if it's a freebie? That's still a nicer Charest than I was able to get at Heroes last year. (He wasn't sketching all weekend.)

I'd be on cloud nine if I were you!

Congrats on some nice sketches!

It's a particularly interesting choice for Travis to do a Rocketeer, as his style is so different from Dave Stevens'. Wonderful drawing nonetheless.

What's also amazing is that these guys nail the costumes from memory without ever having worked on the character.

Hey Felix, GREAT pieces!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sorry I missed the Con -- I flew into SF for some meetings this week and hoped to get down before the show closed Sunday, but my plane was delayed just enough that I wouldn't have made it by 4:00....

foreheadslap.gif

Sounds like a great time, though. Will have to try to have some "meetings" around the weekend of the next show! devil.gif27_laughing.gif

Ooooh I almost bought the original cells with the background to the opening sequence of Fat Albert where they are playing their junk instruments in the junkyard. The piece was about two and a half feet long with almost all the characters. I blew it. I was sandbagging and by the end it was gone. Also, Dan Brereton had some cool new Nocturnals art with him.

Thanks guys!

I do feel extremely grateful to have these two pieces. Both were the result of plain, dumb luck.I had waited in line for Travis to show up on Saturday. The first guy in line had flown in from Kentucky just to get a Travis sketch. He was camped out with a laptop, and Ipod...hardcore! After waiting 3 hours, Travis showed up and said he wouldn't be sketching. The Kentucky collector was very gracious and left. He said he wasn't upset because he'd never been to San Jose before so at least he had done that. I was impressed with his attitude...I don't have the mindset to be a sketch collector! I just got lucky the next day and caught Travis just as he was doing a few sketches.

The show has made a significant jump since last year. Steve Morger and Steve Wyatt are committed to doing a quality show. I expect 2008 to be even better. As it is, the show is already the equivalent of Emerald City ComiCon (Seattle) and way ahead of Wizard World LA. Hope you can make it next year, Rhino!

Felix