• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHITE WHALES PART 2

31 posts in this topic

What comic/comics has/have managed to elude you for a long time?

OK, so far the current list of rarest comics, in alphabetic order, as suggested from forum members, is:

$.35 variants - Scooby-Doo 1, Flintstones 1, Kid Colt Outlaw 218-220, Rawhide Kid 140, 141, Sgt. Fury 141, 142, Amethyst Princess of Gemworld 1, 2

2D 3D

A Date with Judy 16 Canadian

Advanced Edition 1

Amazing Spider-Man 184 All Detergent edition

America Menaced

Big *spoon* Comics 1, first print

Big Book of Fun Comics

Bill Boyd 21

Blood is the Harvest

Bringing Up Father 2 UK reprint

Buzzy 70

Catman 20

Congo Bill 7

Crime Must Stop

Date with Danger 5, 6

Famous Funnies Series 1

Fantastic Four 4 UK edition

Flash Gordon Comics 5

Funny Stuff 34

GA Canadian Timely comics

G.I. Combat 9

Gobbledygook 1 and 2

Green Giant Comics

Headline 8

Hulk 202 NM/MT white pages

Human Fly 3, 15

Keen Detective Funnies 20

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 5 w/ Marvel ad

Marvel Book of Goodies 4

Marvel Mystery Comics Annual 1

Marvel Tarzan '77 series

Merry and Bright 1

Miracleman 3D 2D edition

Monster Crime

More Fun Comics 73

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1

Mouse Guard 1(b/w)

National Comics 18

Nature Boy 3

New Adventure Comics 26

New Fun Comics 5

Red Raven 1

Rudolph 1962/63 Annual

Spirit sections

Strange Tales 103

Strawberry Shortcake 7 - exist?

Supergear 1

Swordquest Waterworld mini comic

This Magazine is Haunted 3

Voodoo Annual

Who is Next 5

Whiz 17

YellowJacket Comics

Zap 2 - printing error

I'm not sure Miracleman 15 belongs on that list. There is almost aways one available on eBay. They are relatively plentiful.

I agree. It may be in high demand, but there are always issues available. From my experience, issues 23 and 24 are just as difficult to find.

I have a title to add, Mouse Guard #1 the B&W version is tough to find. Supposedly only 200-250 issues.

Absolutely agree - I would class MM 15, in fact any of the run 1-24 as "very common". It's a misconception that 15 is rare - true, it's in high demand but not rare or a white whale. (i.e. Less than 10 exist).

No.s. 16-24 ALL had lower print runs than no.15.

The 2D 3D is definitely appropriate though. Just 3 known copies.

OK, think I mentioned this in the distant Past, But..the original Superman vs. Spiderman Tabloid book SIGNED by both Stan Lee and Carmine Infantino...it was advertised in the comics at around $4.99-$7.99 (can't quite remember) and limited to around 5000 #'ed copies...NEVER seen one, ever...used to have dealers telling me that they had seen them....I think Stan never signed any, and Infantino DID??!!?? So I do believe some signed by Carmine do turn up (BUT WITHOUT Stan's sig.)

OK, think I mentioned this in the distant Past, But..the original Superman vs. Spiderman Tabloid book SIGNED by both Stan Lee and Carmine Infantino...it was advertised in the comics at around $4.99-$7.99 (can't quite remember) and limited to around 5000 #'ed copies...NEVER seen one, ever...used to have dealers telling me that they had seen them....I think Stan never signed any, and Infantino DID??!!?? So I do believe some signed by Carmine do turn up (BUT WITHOUT Stan's sig.)

I could have sworn I saw one on ebay within the last couple of years.

2D 3D - Please elaborate.

There are a few known error issues of the Miracleman 3D issue that are only 2D. Michigan State Library has 1 of the copies.

It's not an error copy. Eclipse actually published some that way for people that wanted a copy without the 3D effect. It was something that you had to mail away for. IIRC, if you look on the inside FC or BC of the 3D Special there is a little ad noting this was available.

I have never been able to determine the actual number of these printed. I've tried contacting Cat Yrnewood (I know I didn't spell that right) and a few others that used to work at Eclipse but have rec'd either no response or "I don't have a clue".

I've heard rumors that the print run was as low as 100 copies, but have absolutely no confirmation on that at all. When I spoke with the guys at the Mich. State Special Collections department, they did not know all the details either.

I know Ewan has done extensive research on this book as well. Kind of our little "pet project" a few years back.

Absolutely agree - I would class MM 15, in fact any of the run 1-24 as "very common". It's a misconception that 15 is rare - true, it's in high demand but not rare or a white whale. (i.e. Less than 10 exist).

No.s. 16-24 ALL had lower print runs than no.15.

Indeed. MM #15 is an easy book, and should be removed from the list. It's tough to find in HG, but they're out there.

#23 and #24 are far harder to find than #15. Those would be the only two MM issues (apart from the 3D 2D) that I would classify as relatively difficult (for a Copper Age book, that is).

One book I've been looking for for at least 5 years is Marvel Book Of Goodies #4... a catalog with all of the cool Marvel merchandice they would put out ever so often in the late '70s. You can find 1-3 every now and then (especially #2). But I've only seen #4 once and that was in an original owner auction of 1-4 and he wanted $150 for them (don't think it sold).

Edit: Looks like the books have many titles, no wonder I couldn't find them under "Goodies". Maybe they are not a White Wale after all. sorry.gif