• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 43

9 posts in this topic

Well, I was pretty happy with this pick up at around $12-$15 (asked $15, but bought as part of a lot, so it came down a few dollars in price I'm sure). Only real defect is along the upper edge where it looks like it was miscut. Running alonside the chipping is some pretty noticeable creasing (affecting about 3/4 of the book, less as you get towards the back). You'll also note the slight piec above the CCA Stamp that is missing- the corner is still there- it's just folded over. While the pages are a tannish color, they are all supple and not brittle. Staples are silver, exceptionally tight, and very few spine stresses w/ color breaks (as you can see). The cover is in otherwise great looking shape, and the back looks pretty nice too aside from discoloration along the upper edge.

So, I again ask you veteran graders what your thoughts are on this.

Front Cover

ASM43-Front.jpg

Back Cover

ASM43-Back.jpg

Inside Cover & Front Splash (to take note of the page color and cover chipping)- please ignore the dome-shaped object emerging in the background smile.gif

Photo1.jpg

View of the top of the pages for more chipping evaluation

Photo6.jpg

Just on the top edges, but again, the paper quality itself is supple, and not at all brittle. To be honest, this is the only one of my collection with the infamous marvel chipping. So, I checked the OS Grading Guide and they actually had a copy with the same amount of chipping in there at 5.0!!! Since I'd like to think I at least have something clue at grading, there was no way I could assign a grade like that. BUT, the rest of the comic IS in really tight shape- on par with a 5.0-5.5.

So, my guess was to grade this at 3.0 - 3.5 to be on the safe side. And based on the current feedback, that isn't terribly far off. Anyone else? Thoughts on grading of chipping?

Given the book isn't brittle and anything beyond the horrid top edge the rest of the book appears solid, just discolored I'd say 3.0 would be in line easily. 3.5 would be okay, 4.0 would be a reach and 4.5 would be a reach around.