• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AWESOME Dollar bin pick ups!

37 posts in this topic

Nice pick-ups. I wish I bought Y for $1 each. Colorado doesn't really know what a $1 box is. Even at Conventions. It's a real shame. I'm hoping there are a few when I go to the Dallas Convention this year.

Pat

Nice pick-ups. I wish I bought Y for $1 each. Colorado doesn't really know what a $1 box is. Even at Conventions. It's a real shame. I'm hoping there are a few when I go to the Dallas Convention this year.

Pat

wow. Must be a different world over there. $1 boxes are the standard at shows in the south. 50 cent boxes sometimes rule the day, and it only takes one *spoon* marking their books there to cause the whole room to have to adjust. Personally from a collectors standpoint i have no problem paying $1 for a book that i want to read. If i can find a run for $1 apiece i am pretty happy. From a seller's standpoint i hate putting things at 50 cents. It is not worth putting them in alphabetical order and lugging them to a show for that amount.

Pat

wow. Must be a different world over there. $1 boxes are the standard at shows in the south. 50 cent boxes sometimes rule the day, and it only takes one *spoon* marking their books there to cause the whole room to have to adjust. Personally from a collectors standpoint i have no problem paying $1 for a book that i want to read. If i can find a run for $1 apiece i am pretty happy. From a seller's standpoint i hate putting things at 50 cents. It is not worth putting them in alphabetical order and lugging them to a show for that amount.

I hear ya, but I just did a show in Ottawa, and it was the first time I did NOT bring $1 or $0.50 bins, and it really hurt my pocket book. People there just DON'T stop at booths unless they have cheapies. Fortunately, I sold a couple of CGC Miller Wolvies, and a raw NM- Uncanny X-Men #100 for some nice $$$. Otherwise, I really didn't sell anything (my worst show ever).

On the other hand, I did a show here in Montreal, the other day, and stuff just flew out of my regular bins, and people barely looked in the my $0.50 bins (although those who bothered were VERY pleased with what I put in there - not as good as the ULTIMATE FF #21 - I'm not crazy!!!)...

Different city different market....

I think what killed me, and many others, in Ottawa, was the fact someone dumped about 20 of longboxes, and I mean REALLY DUMPED. $0.50CDN a pop for hot books from the last year and a half (ie) multiple runs of ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA, ULTIMATE FF #30-32, CIVIL WAR #1-7 (yeah, that's right), 52, CIVIL WAR FRONTLINE, and so on... These books are all solid sellers in the $4-9CDN range, so dumping them at $0.50 to the public kind of messes up the market dynamics. I'm all for dumping for both dealers and collectors, but some stuff shouldn't be dumped. Oh, did I mention TPBs at $2.00-5.00?!?!?!

How can anyone else make sales when someone is doing that? I just wish I had known he was doing this at the beginning of the show - I would have bought him out.

i dont know if its just me, but besides the price, if there too many damn books crammed into the box and ya cant look easily, i keep walkin

YUp. I agree with that one. I always make sure that there is room to flip. It is a pain when you have to take a hand full out just so you can move them at all. It can make things pretty messy pretty quick.

i dont know if its just me, but besides the price, if there too many damn books crammed into the box and ya cant look easily, i keep walkin
Yeah, that was one of my rookie mistakes! I thought it was better to pack it so I could bring as much as possible, but it ended up turning people off and damaging books as people struggled to look i nthe boxes.

Ah, the good old days! tongue.gif

Yeah, that was one of my rookie mistakes! I thought it was better to pack it so I could bring as much as possible, but it ended up turning people off and damaging books as people struggled to look i nthe boxes.

Yeah, I hate trying to look through overcrowded boxes too so when I'm selling, I always make sure there is flipping room. Last time I sold, I had to pull out any book that there was more than one of to create flipping room and then just replaced them as stuff sold.

Yeah, I hate trying to look through overcrowded boxes too so when I'm selling, I always make sure there is flipping room. Last time I sold, I had to pull out any book that there was more than one of to create flipping room and then just replaced them as stuff sold.

Yeah, but the downside of leaving room is books falling/bending as they slip as the box empties further during the show. I did a show recently that was SO busy I couldn't keep the boxes in order because people were always digging through and buying. At the the end of the day I was able to compress 2 longboxes.

The TPBs boxes are the worst. Sell 5 TPBs from a box and everything starts falling because of too much room. 27_laughing.gif Gotta start bringing some sort of padding/filler material to keep this from happening.

Yeah, but the downside of leaving room is books falling/bending as they slip as the box empties further during the show. I did a show recently that was SO busy I couldn't keep the boxes in order because people were always digging through and buying. At the the end of the day I was able to compress 2 longboxes.

The TPBs boxes are the worst. Sell 5 TPBs from a box and everything starts falling because of too much room. 27_laughing.gif Gotta start bringing some sort of padding/filler material to keep this from happening.

What I do is bring along packs of 100 comic boards to put in the back of the box as they empty.

What I do is bring along packs of 100 comic boards to put in the back of the box as they empty.

But they're soooooo HEAVY..... foreheadslap.gif

But they're soooooo HEAVY..... foreheadslap.gif

If you're carrying big boxes of comics anyway, what's a few comic boards? poke2.gif

gossip.gif Bring empty ziploc bags, the large sized ones. When you need to fill some space, pop them open, swish them aournd to get some air in them, seal, and voila, instant filler. Place a few backing boards in front of them to give the comics a solid, flat surface to rest against. thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif Bring empty ziploc bags, the large sized ones. When you need to fill some space, pop them open, swish them aournd to get some air in them, seal, and voila, instant filler. Place a few backing boards in front of them to give the comics a solid, flat surface to rest against. thumbsup2.gif
Brilliant!

I drove 5 hours to do some diggin in the .50/$1 boxes ast the Charlotte ,NC Heroes Con,and left with 4 long boxes worth. Here's a few scans...the Cry For Dawns 3's (near mint) were in a guys .50 boxes,and the X-Men 248's (VF/NM) were in another guys $1 boxes!

998XZ8L.jpg

998XZ8LA.jpg

I love the cheap boxes...some dealers just don't care about what they put in there.Most dealers there had something in their boxes that made my time diggin worthwhile!

I drove 5 hours to do some diggin in the .50/$1 boxes ast the Charlotte ,NC Heroes Con,and left with 4 long boxes worth. Here's a few scans...the Cry For Dawns 3's (near mint) were in a guys .50 boxes,and the X-Men 248's (VF/NM) were in another guys $1 boxes!

998XZ8L.jpg

998XZ8LA.jpg

I love the cheap boxes...some dealers just don't care about what they put in there.Most dealers there had something in their boxes that made my time diggin worthwhile!

Decent find - congrats. However, I too probably would have put them in my cheapie boxes (I put good stuff in mine) because I have a very difficult time selling X-MEN #248 for more than $1 if it's not strict NM-, and I have NEVER had a person ask for an issue of DAWN before, but I might have put those on Ebay instead of a $0.50 bin!

I think the best comics I put in my $1 bin was a coverless FF #50 - it didn't last too long. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's got to be tough being a dealer on the show circuit these days. I wouldn't set up unless I had all pre-1975 books. Even then you still have to compete with some guys doing 50% off of Silver & Bronze age stuff. But Ebay,and having a retail store,has made digging through .50/$1 boxes worth the time and effort. I put together mini series and they sell very well in my shop. To be able to buy issues from series like Infinite Crisis,Identity Crisis,House of M,all at .50 each is great for me. They were popular series that have cooled off but now I'm in them for $4-$5 a set,and they sell steady at $15-$20. Thats a big part of the stuff I bought in Charlotte. And there are some mini series that pull $20-$30 on Ebay,you just have to know which runs to go after..It takes a little time to get some of the runs together but with all the .50/$1 box dealers at the show,it's not too hard to complete these sets.

The Cry for Dawn 3's,will sell for $8-$10.The X-Men 248's will be the same.All it takes is a minute to scan and list them or price 'em at book and put them at half price in my shop,and they'll go.I love the the shows,unfortunately they are always atleast a few hours drive away!