• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AWESOME Dollar bin pick ups!

37 posts in this topic

I drove 5 hours to do some diggin in the .50/$1 boxes ast the Charlotte ,NC Heroes Con,and left with 4 long boxes worth. Here's a few scans...the Cry For Dawns 3's (near mint) were in a guys .50 boxes,and the X-Men 248's (VF/NM) were in another guys $1 boxes!

998XZ8L.jpg

998XZ8LA.jpg

I love the cheap boxes...some dealers just don't care about what they put in there.Most dealers there had something in their boxes that made my time diggin worthwhile!

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

It's got to be tough being a dealer on the show circuit these days. I wouldn't set up unless I had all pre-1975 books. Even then you still have to compete with some guys doing 50% off of Silver & Bronze age stuff.
It depends. I do more than OK locally, because I carry affordable copies of late Silver and up key issues, as well, most of the recent in demand books (do not understimate the desire of people to READ books that are sold out in stores). I don't give 50% off, but I am strict in my grading, and I do give discounts based upon the $ spent. Having good $1 and less bins is VERY important though, but you cannot rely on just that unless you are certain you CAN empty 10 boxes!

Another important factor is that I, and a few other local dealers, actually READ the stuff they sell, so we can actually talk to clients ABOUT the content, as opposed to the price sticker and how hot it is.

I'm hoping to hit TORONTO in August to dig through some cheapie boxes myself, in the hopes of finding some gems and complete my 3 boxes of incomplete sets.....

I drove 5 hours to do some diggin in the .50/$1 boxes ast the Charlotte ,NC Heroes Con,and left with 4 long boxes worth. Here's a few scans...the Cry For Dawns 3's (near mint) were in a guys .50 boxes,and the X-Men 248's (VF/NM) were in another guys $1 boxes!

998XZ8L.jpg

998XZ8LA.jpg

I love the cheap boxes...some dealers just don't care about what they put in there.Most dealers there had something in their boxes that made my time diggin worthwhile!

I think you got those x-men 248's from me. I have about 50 copies of that book and they don't sell for squat on ebay. I figured i would get rid of a few that didn't look 9.4 or better.

I was on the 800 row. I was set up in the middle of the row with my girlfriend. I don't remember off the top of my head selling them, but i know they sold at some point. You may have possibly came up when i was wondering around, but i made the little lady stay at the booth pretty much the whole time so you may remember her....

998XZ8L.jpg

998XZ8LA.jpg

I think you got those x-men 248's from me. I have about 50 copies of that book and they don't sell for squat on ebay. I figured i would get rid of a few that didn't look 9.4 or better.

I was on the 800 row. I was set up in the middle of the row with my girlfriend. I don't remember off the top of my head selling them, but i know they sold at some point. You may have possibly came up when i was wondering around, but i made the little lady stay at the booth pretty much the whole time so you may remember her....

Yeah man,I got them from you! We talked a little. I spent about $120 on your stuff.I was the guy that you asked if I was set up at the show,and I said no,and that Dave Henson hooked me up with the badge.Oh and I got that Gen 13 set from you. I should've bought those long boxes you were trying to get rid of. I wish I could've stayed for Sunday to get a deal on some other long boxes but I got through all the cheap stuff early and left Friday afternoon. Joey

oh yeah! I remember you. Glad you had a good show. I wish i had just went to buy. It was not the best sales wise. The Dooosh in front of me with 25 cent bins killed my sales. He had a bunch of *spoon* in there, but it still made people walk right by my booth after seing his signs. Oh well. Me and jeff are going to buy at the chicago show coming up. Hopefully i will have some good stuff to brag about here....Best of luck with those Transformers issues---------J

I would have definitely grabbed the X-men 248s (although it is a book I do also see in $1-$2 boxes), the Dawns, well, those indies always confuse me and I have gotten burned too many times buying version 3 of some book I was hoping was the first edition, etc. Having never read them, I can never remeber which ones are worthwhile.

At Wizard World Philly on Sunday... I pulled 7 copies of the Fantastic Four #546 sketch cover that was given out to advanced ticket holders at the show.. out of the $1 bin.

So... I only grabbed 3 because the other 4 had been damaged in the box.

So I'm keeping the one I got with my ticket and selling the other three on ebay.

If I really wanted to though... I could've bought a lot more Ebay fodder at the show.

I completed a huge run of Uncanny X-Men from the dollar bin... even some of the $20-30 books from 150-250 run were in there....

If I wanted to spend my weekend budget on flipping books on ebay or to dealers, I could've.

And if I had found the sketch covers earlier than Sunday... I could've flipped them on Friday or Saturday to dealers fro $5-10 of quick cash... but I'll get that on ebay, easy.

I'm shocked by the quality of the $1 and 50-cent bins at this year's show... even the quarter bins had some really recent moderns...

There was really crazy stuff... I know because most of it is in the box next to me waiting to be sorted.

Oh, I almost forgot... that's what I saw in a $1 bin.... Transformers (Marvel) 3 (with black spidey) and then a lot of issues between 9-35...

I was surprised, I thought dealers would be cashing in on the movie hype.

gossip.gif Beware of 2nd printings!

I can't sell those transformers beyond the first few issues for jack on ebay. I had them up for like $2 each in NMish in my store. Now I figured if I'm going to waste fees, I might as well make them $3 each.

picked up a spectre #54 and amazing fantasy #15 vol 2 (obviously) at super con- those still going for more than a buck?

I think the AF # 15's are probably doing fairly well at the moment due to the connection to World War Hulk.

I picked up a nice batch of $1 bin books at my LCS on Friday. A nice batch of Ultimate Spiderman 3,9,13,15 & Ultimate X-Men 5,8,9,10 in 9.6/9.8 condition. Not bad since the #3 look like its a $10 book by itself.

My 1/2PB had a 2-year run of George Perez Wonder Women. They put a 50-cent minimum on comics (should've been 37.5 cents each) but still a good deal. His art was at its peak in those books, I just wish he'd've inked himself.