• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimates next Hulk 181? Don't think so.

12 posts in this topic

So, can anyone give specific examples of past comics that peaked (kinda like the Ultimates are doing now) and sent to new bottoms just as quick? Seems we got some believers out there thinking the Ultimates are gonna be the next Hulk 181, or close to it thereabouts. Personally, I am thinking the end is just around the corner on these puppies. grin.gif

But, I am also thinking Marvel's no re-print and print-to-order policy at the time, may make a difference with these. With so many moderns tanking badly (like the Valiants) after going up in value so much, history seems to be on the side of the people that will prefer to buy these (if ever) after the great collapse.

Does anyone remember actual values on the Valiants or other comics that tanked after being so hot? Were the values close to what the Ultimates are getting now?

So, can anyone give specific examples of past comics that peaked (kinda like the Ultimates are doing now) and sent to new bottoms just as quick?

Everything published from 1989 - 2001.

What's so hot about Ultimates? You can get the full run on E-bay at $4.00 or less per issue.

Here are a few that I can think of right off the top of my head:

The Platinum Spider-Man #1 was a $1000 book at one point.

There was a dealer from Southern New Hapmshire that owed me about $900. I was in his shop (along with everyone's favorite dealer, Bechara) and the ONE book that was totally off-limits for me to take in lieu of cash was his Platinum Spider-Man #1. He let me gut his store, but refused to part with that treasure...

Others:

The Batman "A Death in the Family" arc

+ Dozens of other Batman books that were white hot in the late 80s.

The Longshot mini-series. That's a $1 bin book now.

New Mutants 87 sold for over $100 for a while.

The Punisher Limited series booked for well over $100. #1 was at $50 all by itself.

So, can anyone give specific examples of past comics that peaked (kinda like the Ultimates are doing now) and sent to new bottoms just as quick?

Howard the Duck #1

It's a nice fantasy to think we can figure it out and all go out and buy it, but I wonder how long it took for people to think picking up a Hulk 181 was a good idea? At $10? $100? $500?... A Mile High Comics ad running through Marvel issues dated Oct 1980 has Hulk 181 listed at $3.50! Most likely everyone will be cynical about the next one until it's too late.

Here are the comics that I have had experience in rapid, speculator-based price increases.

Please note that inflation and comic book price increases have raised the relative spikes over the years. i.e. a 1977 comic hitting $25 fast is similar to a 1989 book jumping to $100, etc.

Howard the Duck #1 (first true speculator-driven comic)

80's Independants like Fish Police, Mage and Flaming Carrot

GI Joe

The Nam

Justice League #1 (new series)

Punisher and Longshot Minis

Thor 337

New Mutants 87

Dark Knight Returns

Batman: A Death in the Family

Sandman

Valiant Comics

Superman 75 (Death)

Spider-man #1 Limited, Platinum

Limited Edition, Gold, Embossed, etc. Issues (1992-93)

Here are the comics that I have had experience in rapid, speculator-based price increases.

Please note that inflation and comic book price increases have raised the relative spikes over the years. i.e. a 1977 comic hitting $25 fast is similar to a 1989 book jumping to $100, etc.

GI Joe

The Nam

Thor 337

New Mutants 87

Dark Knight Returns

Sandman

Valiant Comics

Superman 75 (Death)

And where are they all now...

Does anyone remember actual values on the Valiants or other comics that tanked after being so hot? Were the values close to what the Ultimates are getting now?

Yes, the situation is eerily similar to what happened with Valiant, right before the blood started flowing. Even raw, these books were pushing CGC Ultimate pricing, and it's truly scary to think of the economic holocaust for the specs had CGC been in effect during the Valiant Craze.

Then again, pull up a chair and let's all watch the Ultimate CGC Market implode.

GI Joe

The Nam

Thor 337

New Mutants 87

Dark Knight Returns

Sandman

Valiant Comics

Superman 75 (Death)

Disagree on the Howard the Duck 1 in that it was NOT the first speculator driven comic. I'd go with either Conan 3 or Shazam 1, but it did plummet rapidly!

Justice League 2

Transformers 1

DC Comics Presents 26

Teen Titans 1

Fantastic Four 236

Amazing Spider-Man 201

Dazzler 1

Amazing Spider-Man 289

Green Lantern 141

Green Lantern 142

Omega Men 3

Disagree on the Howard the Duck 1 in that it was NOT the first speculator driven comic. I'd go with either Conan 3 or Shazam 1, but it did plummet rapidly!

I was thinking about books like Conan 1, 3 and Shazam 1 or even Shadow 1 or some of the other early-70's comics, but I really don't remember prices skyrocketing overnight to an equivalent ($20-$25) level for the era.

There was certainly speculator activity on books like Conan 1 and Shazam 1 and Shadow 1 (among others), but it seemed to have the opposite short-term pricing effect, as everyone and their dog had one.

Did Shazam 1 even go over a buck or so in the few decades after it was printed?

I was thinking about books like Conan 1, 3 and Shazam 1 or even Shadow 1 or some of the other early-70's comics, but I really don't remember prices skyrocketing overnight to an equivalent ($20-$25) level for the era.

There was certainly speculator activity on books like Conan 1 and Shazam 1 and Shadow 1 (among others), but it seemed to have the opposite short-term pricing effect, as everyone and their dog had one.

Did Shazam 1 even go over a buck or so in the few decades after it was printed?

The Shazam 1 did - it fell right back down, but there was significant activity on it right when it came out. Shadow 1 also, but not as much.