• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sticky book...

18 posts in this topic

Hey all...I have a slight problem that I am hoping someone can solve for me... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It seems that one of my GA books used to have tape on it that has long been either removed or has just fallen of due to age leaving a sticky residue...

Luckily I was able to remove it from the bag without causing any damage to it... 893applaud-thumb.gif

My question is...How do I now store this book?...I mean...if I put it in a bag it will stick to the book again...but I can't just leave the book out in the open with no protection.... crazy.gif

I am in a quandry and could use some advice on what to do... confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually there is stuff called "Goo Be Gone" that I've seen used to remove tape residue from old novels and whatnot.

I don't know if it would take off the cover ink with it.

You might try on a trash comic first.

I had this with a comic in my collection once. I would contact someone that does restoration and see what they suggest. I have heard of people using Goo Gone on comics to remove tape and or price stickers. Goo Gone is a liquid and may damage the book.

Actually there is stuff called "Goo Be Gone" that I've seen used to remove tape residue from old novels and whatnot.

I don't know if it would take off the cover ink with it.

You might try on a trash comic first.

I have used "Goo Gone" on some of my old HARDCOVER - NOT COMIC books to good effect. I remember playing with it on comic books but found it left a very slight oily residue. As this is a GA book I would be VERY careful as regards trying it on a trach comic, as the test book may not have the same ink/paper qualities as the GA book.

::edited to add HARDCOVER - NOT COMIC:: 893frustrated.gif

I would just contact one the resto guys. Why take a chance with a comic? Depending on the book it may not really affect the grade. It may only stabilize it.

Pov...I thinkGoo-Gone is citris based...I have another brand called Un-Du that is alchohol based...do you think this would be ok???

There should be no guessing in this endeavor! Unless you have a [!@#%^&^] book from the same age/publisher etc. to practice on!

And note in my previous message I edited to add " HARDCOVER - NOT COMIC" book to my post. grin.gif

I would without a doubt contact one of the people who do restoration. Call several people and find out their opinions on the book.

Would Susan Whats-her-name be a good person to contact???....

I would without a doubt contact one of the people who do restoration. Call several people and find out their opinions on the book.

Would Susan Whats-her-name be a good person to contact???....

Susan Ciccone. I heard on these boards she is only doing small jobs now - this would certainly qualify. And she certainly is most expert!

Most alcohol based stain removers contain some amount of water so that may lead to water damage. So I wouldn't use them. (In "normal" environment there isn't such a thing as 100% ethanol/ethyl alcohol)

You could try VMP Naptha as it doensn't do any damage to paper.

Good news are that tape residue is still sticky and not dried out. It's much easier to remove.

Anyway I think you should sent it to a restorer if you aren't 100% you can do it yourself. This is a very minor job for any pro restorer so it shouldn't be expensive.

And finally how to store your comic: peel off that "non sticking film" from any sticker, place it on the sticky area of your comic and put your book back in mylar.

And finally how to store your comic: peel off that "non sticking film" from any sticker, place it on the sticky area of your comic and put your book back in mylar.

Wow Arty ..that solution is brilliant in it's simplicity...thanks...

As far as the VMP Naptha..another illustrious board member has mentioned that to me in a PM and I may go that route...of course I will probably call a restoration expert also to hear their thoughts...

Again..thanks to all... 893applaud-thumb.gif