• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions regarding seller aardvarkps

70 posts in this topic

Why do you make these observations that include projections that didn't happen?

Uh, could it be that I was responding to a poster who just told us that he sold a book to the seller, and the seller turned around and flipped it on ebay after "upgrading" it from a VF/VF- to a VF/NM!?!?!? And it seems that the 1st person who responded to my post thanked me for it!

That's part of the beauty of these boards hammer, to share our experiences with others such that the next guy doesn't get scammed. Perhaps that's why you're so defensive, eh? Now you can go away MrFraud...

I'm fairly sure he overgrades. A few months ago I sold him an X-Men 4 in Fine+ and interestingly enough he flipped it a couple of months later as a VF. I know it was the same book because of the defects it had and a date stamp. Since then I've stayed away from his auctions. Stuff that is legitimately high grade he does slab, which is another indicator that what he advertises as VF/NM is probably no better than VF, if that.

But Lord Rahl,

I'm not ignoring these anecdotes of his pushing a grade and pretending that these cited actual instances don't exist. What I AM disputing is Banner's highly fictionalized account of a projection.

Pushing an F/VF as a VF, or a VF+ as a VF/NM may be a reality here as has been stated and reported on actual accounts and examples where this has happened and I'm not disputing this. What Banner is projecting Aardvark will be doing is to take a VG, unslab it, and re-advertise it as a FN+ with disclosure of tape on the back cover, or as a VF with no disclosure of tape whatsoever, which from my way of thinking is ALOT different than buying a FN and his selling it as FN+ to VF. Don't you think so?

I have seen many Aardvarkps auctions of raw books on Ebay, some of them which I thought were overgraded based on the image presented (and I've seen many CGC slabbed books as well that I thought were overgraded and didn't bid on, based on the image presented)...but certainly nothing graded by Aardvarkps that was 2.5 to 4 full grade points overgraded as Banner is suggesting will happen with the FF. That is the only thing that I am taking exception to, his rallying of forces against raw sellers with projections of things that he feels will happen, and when they don't, his not admitting after a certain time period, "Gee...I was wrong".

It seems that most on this Forum have that same affliction. The inability to admit errata of statements when either proven wrong or projections don't become reality.

Thanks for pointing out yet another example of this seller buying a book on ebay, and turning around and selling it at a later date with a marked up grade. Makes me feel good that we're pooling our collective experiences here to help others that might fall prey to, let's say, unsavory selling practices on ebay (whether they be grade markups or undisclosed restoration)!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Isn't it possible that the seller felt that the book was undergraded at VF+, and upon closer inspection.......decided that the book was really a VF/NM?

Sure it is! LordRahl's "upgrade" from F+ to VF isn't that unbelievable, Spidermanbeyond's "upgrade" from VF/VF- to VF/NM is a little more radical, and I thought the book I bought was overgraded. Like I said in the 1st response to this post, I got my money back so I have no beef with the seller...but as people's experiences started to be added together, inferences can be made. confused-smiley-013.gif

Isn't it possible that the seller felt that the book was undergraded at VF+, and upon closer inspection.......decided that the book was really a VF/NM? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yea, and all those Conan 9.4 - 9.8 books I got from Dr. Banner are now 9.6 - 10 because he can't grade for shi.t. insane.gif

I have seen many Aardvarkps auctions of raw books on Ebay, some of them which I thought were overgraded based on the image presented (and I've seen many CGC slabbed books as well that I thought were overgraded and didn't bid on, based on the image presented)...but certainly nothing graded by Aardvarkps that was 2.5 to 4 full grade points overgraded

Hmmm...I thought I remembered you going on a rampage regarding an FF 6 aardvarkps was selling as a Fine, but you thought was no better than a "POS G/VG"!

This thread is precious... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I for one, think drbanner's comments are highly useful. If he takes a known fact and then extrapolates a possible situation from that fact, at least he started with a FACT.

Keep up the good work drbanner.

Wrong poster, Banner. And what difference does it make. I asked YOU why YOU would project his buying a VG with tape and sell it as a VF without disclosing the tape.

Because someone disagreed with his grading at some point doesn't mean that predictions like YOU made are justified. Do they?

Disagreement in grade is alot different than you accusing him of buying VG and fraudulently representing it as VF without mentioning the tape on the back cover, especially when it DIDN'T happen. Why not wait until it happens to start your "hornblowing"?

Why are you like that Banner? When he doesn't do that after a specified time period, will you admit you were wrong?

When Keys doesn't auction a Showcase 4 won as restored VF and represent it as unrestored, after a specified time period, will you then admit you were wrong for throwing your arms up in the air and screaming, "Look...Look... thief!!!! Look what he did...he won an FF in VG, or he won a restored Showcase 4 and the crooks are going to________________", before anything happened and never did??

If you feel you can make these infallible predictions, why aren't you either a Soothsayer to the Stars, A Wall Street Baron, or living at the local racetrack?

I didn't mean to start such a controversy. It was a real learning experience. Here is what I learned from experienced posters:

1)The standard procedure on E-Bay is to overgrade raw books. It seems to be an accepted and understood process and many believe it is proper and not deceptive.

Many graders fall back on the standard line that grading is not a science and point to certain CGC graded books to prove their point. I guess it is OK to overgrade as long as you don't call a VG a NM. I remember the infamous Batman 11 from a few months ago that was graded by CGC as a gvg but was sold as raw graded as a vg/VG+. This is clearly acceptable under the E-Bay raw book grading system. If the book then is purchased the new seller can sell it as a FVF but not higher since he can't bump his book more too high. Do I have the raw book grading system correct?

I agree.

The bottom line is, he has a right to have his own grading standards, as long as they are not totally ridiculous. I've avoided bidding by viewing his pics, which clearly illustrate that I don't agree with his assesment(in most cases). So I choose not to bid. But if he has customers who are happy, that's fine. As long as he describes defects, and offers large pics, I don't care what he calls the books, because I will make my own judgements. Buyers have to take more responsibility for their own purchases, and not rely totally on the description of the seller.

The only inexcusable thing in all this is selling books that he knows are restored, as unrestored, which he dosen't seem to be doing.

Wrong poster, Banner.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

And what difference does it make. I asked YOU why YOU would project his buying a VG with tape and sell it as a VF without disclosing the tape. Disagreement in grade is alot different than you accusing him of buying VG and fraudulently representing it as VF without mentioning the tape on the back cover, especially when it DIDN'T happen.

Once again, you've trimmed and color touched to meet your ends - here's my exact quote on the subject "...he recently bought a CGC VG 4.0 FF 12 with a VF+ looking front cover, but with a big, gnarly tape stain/damage on the back cover. Hmmmm...one might crack it open, call it a F+, put a nice/big scan of the front cover in your listing, and note "small amount of tape damage on back cover", might one???"

will you admit you were wrong?

Sure I will, just like when I suggested you PM me and tell me who you are and I'll email you to confirm. If you're not hammer, I'll come back here and apologize for the accusation for all the world to see! Not only that, if true, I'll make a small donation to the charity of your choice in your name.

after you claimed:

For your next poll, you should ask the Forum member's assistance in determining just when the next time I'll either bid on one of your auctions or buy something outright from you again...Note who bids on your auctions, and buys outright from you over the next 3 months or so. Then note whose presence among those participants is no longer evident. By the continual process of elimination, you'll have your answer as to who I am. You may also deduce that it's never good practice to insult and wrongfully accuse steady clients.

Not surprisingly, you neither emailed me, nor responded to my post. Case closed! sumo.gif

You have answered the question of why I only buy CGC books. There is a limitation to what you can see in a picture and I have no desire to constantly ask for refunds and pack books up. On E-Bay the game is to sell the overgraded books to those that can't grade or are too timid to ask for refunds. There was one seller who was so sharp at grading that he bought books in the Heritage auctions and the books he believed the book were always undergraded. He would take the books out of the case and mark the books up a full grade and sold them raw. He had a huge feedback. His grading system was much better than CGC who couldn't grade by his standards. He always was willing to offer refunds so I guess it was OK.

Believe me, I'm not saying I like it, or that people have a right to blatently overgrade, but it's the reality of buying raw stuff.

If this seller you mentioned is buying stuff he feels is undergraded, and grading it acurately, then there's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

That's not what Banner said. He suggested that the seller was dealing fraudulently, and now in an effort to backpedal his feet out of his pot-hole sized mouth, Banner throws rotten red-herring upon red-herring atop his deceitful words in hopes that the aroma will cover up the stench of his own foul lies and uncalled-for projections.

Banner, I've got you down so pat that I can seal your next 12 responses in envelopes, word for word, without margin of error!! I would assume that biz isn't going that well for you since you have so much time on your hands to conduct all these multiple Ebay Seller Witch-hunts. Is it?