• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions regarding seller aardvarkps

70 posts in this topic

You are correct. Overgrading raw books is the norm. There are instances in which I have bought raw books from a seller and received books better than I expected. I just hate betting longshots. So I very rarely play that game anymore.

I am willing to believe whatever a seller says but only once until I see the reality. After a pattern emerges then I understand the game.

I fault the buyer when he pays for overgraded books. He has the responsibility to understand the game. We all have paid for learning at some point. PT Barnum knew what he was talking about. One of the benefits of this site is to relate our experiences with various buyers and sellers and to supply much needed info to other members so we can have a better idea who we are dealing with. Done honestly the feedback is better than E-Bay's.

That's not what Banner said....893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

If someone can tell me why bother, I will...if not, well, we all know what/who meth/hammer/blackschotzky/??/MrNice is, and what he's all about. And with that (a cheer goes up from the crowd), my job here is done. makepoint.gif

I take exception to the "overgrading raw books is the norm". Read my feedback - again, with the horrible exception of RipVanSleep's Challengers 72 (I must have been sleepy or something), I know how to grade. I choose NOT to take $20 out of my pocket on every book to get it slabbed.

But the point is Donut, I think you're the exception, not the norm on ebay. There's a few guys who don't overgrade, (Dr. Banner, Blazingbob, I certainly don't think Ted (Superworld) ever intentionally overgrades and a couple others I've dealt with)...

but it does seem to be a normal practice for a LOT of sellers on ebay where you get a raw book, and it's definitely not what you bargained for.

What Foolkiller said.

I'm definetly not saying EVERY Ebay seller overgrades, but you can't argue that the vast majority of books from graded from GD to NM are overgraded to some extent.

Probably one of, or THE biggest dealer of raw books on Ebay is said to overgrade regularly, and quite badly at times. Yet they command more $$$$$ for their raw books than anyone else, and have great feedback. I've also heard stories of restored books being sold as unrestored, and horrible customer service. Yet they are extremely successful, and no one seems to ride their about it.

Yeah. When I made my initial comment about "eBay common sense", I certainly wasn't refering to anyone that has ever sold a book on eBay. However, almost every raw book I've bought on eBay has been overgraded, IMO. Although I don;t buy much on eBay, that has been my experience.

But, there are some eBay sellers I would buy raw books from and not be worried about overgrading. All of them, I've dealt with on these boards.

I think Brian was right earlier when he said that the people on these boards are the exception. The fact is a vast majority of sellers on eBay are loose graders.

Chris

Same way I feel Banner. You're worthless. You want emails proving this and that?...yeah sure!!! You hear cheers of admiration following you? Unfortunately, that's not cheers you hear. That's the footstep echos of the fat, slovenly, and irresponsible that you hear following you around. laugh.gif

Same way I feel Banner. You're worthless. You want emails proving this and that?...yeah sure!!! You hear cheers of admiration following you? Unfortunately, that's not cheers you hear. That's the footstep echos of the fat, slovenly, and irresponsible that you hear following you around. laugh.gif

Who said anything about cheers of admiration, I'm talking about the cheers going up that banner's gonna finally quit this tit-for-tat with you hammer! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

At the end of the day, the comments others have made about me on these boards speak volumes, as do the comments they've made about you. goodevil.gif

Then again, you have to take things from their source. Of course you're going to be revered on this Forum for having the IQ of a clam. This is a surprise?

Plus, in reality, let's talk about what you buy and sell for a moment. $10.00 to $20.00 books on the average? Very impressive!! A real high-roller. Yes, I can see why you feel that you're qualified to sit in judgement of the hobby, with your nickel and dime empire and vast wealth surrounding you!

Then again, you have to take things from their source. Of course you're going to be revered on this Forum for having the IQ of a . This is a surprise?

Wow, that's both horrifyingly awful AND racist. Way to hate, Ham! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I am going to pick up this thread and add the information that aardvarkps seems to have overcome his aversion to CGC books and acquired a taste for restored slabbed books. Just putting two and two together, especially after reading of the suspicions many have. I'd love to keep an eye on these and see if they pop up for sale as raw, "unrestored" books in six months.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2202864546

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2202799125

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2201774789

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2201776401

I agree. His MO is to purchase books on ebay and then flip them at higher grades...and if they buyers are happy, he's happy. Basically, he's cashing in on the inability of his buyers to accurately grade (and I'm sure if you ask him, his grading is the correct standard and OS/CGC is too strict!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif).

I don't believe he's ever sold a book as unrestored that was known to have been purchased as restored (like our own Maud_Dib did).