• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art Dealer Reviews

34 posts in this topic

Jim Warden at www.whatashock.com is hands down the best guy I've dealt with and I've bought about 10 pages from him. He's great!

I can't quite figure out how to see what he has for sell.

Thats because whatashock.com is actually someone else's collection. Jim has a subsection to the site or:

http://www.whatashock.com/doasales/

He is fairly busy and the site isn't updated frequently, but he isn't called gentlemen Jim for being a bad art dealer!

Malvin

Jim Warden at www.whatashock.com is hands down the best guy I've dealt with and I've bought about 10 pages from him. He's great!

I can't quite figure out how to see what he has for sell.

Here you go Greg :

http://www.whatashock.com/doasales/

Fellow posters:

Use this link if I can get it to go through for Jim Warden:

http://www.doasales.com/

There is no need to go through whatashock unless you absolutely want to. Let me identify several other names to consider for everyone:

Anthony Snyder (another New York dealer under his name)

While I am not going to copy the same format as WOXL, Anthony, while somewhat idiosyncratic in personality, has been great to me over the years. I have made two purchases from him this year at full price because the art that he had was new and because I wanted to beat others to the punch. If any of you have seen Anthony at the conventions, then you know that he has a huge inventory. Regardless, Anthony is an exceptional communicator through e-mail. He responds normally within 12 to 24 hours.

Alan Bahr (Heroes in Campbell, CA)

Alan is another stud in the dealer realm. He has a large inventory, much of which is not posted on his website. Alan's strengths are his personality, his attention to detail, and his responsive nature to e-mail. If you see his website, then you feel that he should have more, and he does. Just contact him with your wants.

Saul (I do not remember his last name) from KirbyArt.com

I have not dealt with Saul through the Internet, only through conventions. However, he has much material not on his website. I have purchased several thousand dollars of art from him at WW Philly going back to 2005. He has a very good attitude and is quite personable.

Will Gabri-el (Geez, I cannot believe anyone has mentioned him yet)

Will is one of the stud dealers as well. He is well known in this investment hobby, and he has a wealth of contacts. Will normally knows about deals as they are happening, not just after they are completed. He has sold a lot recently from his personal collection. I have picked up several sweet vintage Byrne pages from him going back to 2004.

Hans (I can never can pronounce his last name) at Tri-State Original Art

I bought a page from Hans years ago from eBay. He normally sets up at the local conventions in the NE. He used to set up at San Diego, but he stopped his run last year. Like Will, Hans is very personable and has great contacts within this investment hobby. He has a very pleasing website to observe as well.

If you noticed, I did not mention pricing comparisons with this thread. With pricing climbing higher on just about all material, the dealer's prices have had to escalate as well so that they can bring in fresh material.

In addition, I have to laud the dealers that have received favorable mentions from others (in alphabetical order): Mike Burkey, Tom Fleming, Mitch Itkowitz, Albert Moy, and Jim Warden.

I hope my little post helps as well.

Ciao!

PRC

My second art purchase (from a dealer - the first noted earlier in this thread), this time from Mr. Snyder:

- Low dollar item, took 1 day to get a reply to my query, and basically received the item 7- 8 or so days after payment coming overseas. Arrived in good order.

There is no need to go through whatashock unless you absolutely want to. Let me identify several other names to consider for everyone:

Anthony Snyder (another New York dealer under his name)

While I am not going to copy the same format as WOXL, Anthony, while somewhat idiosyncratic in personality, has been great to me over the years. I have made two purchases from him this year at full price because the art that he had was new and because I wanted to beat others to the punch. If any of you have seen Anthony at the conventions, then you know that he has a huge inventory. Regardless, Anthony is an exceptional communicator through e-mail. He responds normally within 12 to 24 hours.

I hope my little post helps as well.

Ciao!

PRC

Tried doing a deal with Anthony Snyder some years back. Found the whole experience very frustrating and his e-mails anything but exceptional (was lucky to get more than a brief few words out of him). Not someone I'd go back to, sorry . . .

Has anybody ever dealt with Spencer Beck at The Artist's Choice? I just ordered a Howard Porter Flash page, but the email correspondence has been a bit more impersonal than other dealers(Jim Warden, Court Gebeau or Albert Moy).

Has anybody ever dealt with Spencer Beck at The Artist's Choice? I just ordered a Howard Porter Flash page, but the email correspondence has been a bit more impersonal than other dealers(Jim Warden, Court Gebeau or Albert Moy).

Spencer's as top shelf as they come.

He reps 95+ artists and has a regular full time job, that might get you a shorter than normal email response, and it might get you some stock language in emails about ordering and terms simply because he must send out hundreds of them a day.

When you stop an compare the artists lists for all the different reps it is amazing Spencer is able to stay on top of everything as well as he does. He has been more responsive to me than guys who represent 1/10th his artist list.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Here are a few of the Dealers/Collectors I've had success with;

Spencer Beck - theartistschoice.com

Tom Fleming - fanfare-se.com

Mike Burkey - romitaman.com

Yoram Matzkin - ebay id jjonahjameson1 (both through ebay and CAF)

Scott Kress - catskillcomics.com (both on ebay and through the site)

George Hagenauer (through CAF and Comicart-l)

All top notch, will deal with again.

Brain

First negative experience and I'm pretty pissed - but will wait until I get my damn art because that's how much faith of have that the dealer to screw me over if I did say something.

If somebody would communicate like that with me in real life I'd beat the mess out of him.

Spencer Beck is a really nice hardworking guy, I bought some stuff from him a couple years back and, all and all, a great transaction. He gets back to you in good time via email. However, I was a bit frustrated when trying to do a deal on a few pieces with him recently. Price wasn't an issue...he just could not confirm that he still had the pieces I was asking about! I wasn't needing an instant answer, if he needed a month to check, I wouldn't have minded. His response was he would not check unless I ordered the items, he just didn't have time. Needless to say, I passed. I am not a fan of paying for something that he may or may not have...

I do most of my dealing with Mike Burkey at romitaman.com. Over 10 years and counting. Great guy to deal with, friendly. Communicating with him has been a little tougher than usual this year. But for the most part, if you tell him what you want, he will most likely remember and tell you about a piece when you least expect it. He offers favorable time payment terms, packages items well, and all around the model citizen of the hobby, in my opinion.

Hardest to deal with: Coollines/Donnellys. If they reply at all to inquiries, it is a miracle. And, lets just say, they price way above market. Some people I know have had success getting a good value from them; I am not one of them.

Just my 2 cents.

Spencer Beck is a really nice hardworking guy, I bought some stuff from him a couple years back and, all and all, a great transaction. He gets back to you in good time via email. However, I was a bit frustrated when trying to do a deal on a few pieces with him recently. Price wasn't an issue...he just could not confirm that he still had the pieces I was asking about! I wasn't needing an instant answer, if he needed a month to check, I wouldn't have minded. His response was he would not check unless I ordered the items, he just didn't have time. Needless to say, I passed. I am not a fan of paying for something that he may or may not have...

I have ordered from Spencer a bunch over the last 6-7 years.

Everytime I place an order, his terms state that I have ten days to pay for the items from the time he confirms the order and sends me a total. You don't pay when you place the order, you pay when he sends an invoice and pulls the pages.

Maybe this was a miscommunication or misunderstanding but the way it is written on his site there is no way for you to be forced to pay for an item that he doesn't have. Since you don't get an invoice or are asked for payment until after he confirms total price and availability I don't see how you could be paying for something he doesn't have.

Knowing that might have allieviated some angst.

C