• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.6 With Tear!?!?! Ughh I Wanna Cry!!!

45 posts in this topic

I was very pleased last week when I received my first batch of CGC slabbed books, but tonofbricks.gif just came down on me!

I was comparing my CGC 9.4 & 9.6 DD #168s with some other raw books of the same era, when I noticed my CGC 9.6 has a half inch tear starting from the top of the spine. 893whatthe.gif. 9.6 books cannot have a tear, and I wouldn't have sent it to CGC with such a tear, let alone buy it raw like that at the price I paid... So, that suggests the folks at CGC ripped my comic, so I decided to call and inquire about the grading notes. Lo and behold, there is no indication of a tear, which suggests it was damaged during the actual encapsulation process... Christo_pull_hair.gif

After talking to customer service, who were VERY understanding and pleasant, I was told to send it back so they can see it themselves so they can determine if they are at fault.

Regardless, of what happens I am VERY upset (not with them, because mistakes can happen) because this was my gem investment piece - 9.6 copies of this books sell for nice mutliples of 9.2 in guide.

So, a very important lesson here. Just because is says CGC 9.x on it doesn't mean it actually is. ALWAYS inspect slabbed books before you purchase them, and after you get them back from CGC. Like I said, we're all human, but better safe and honest, than sorry and dishonest.

Anyone else experience this type of thing?

I'll still use CGC, but I do hope they take responsibility and compensate me accordingly.

I had a book that got caught in the "seal" process knocking my grade down. They were proactive and called me, admitted it, and took care of it. These guys are top notch, so expect nothing less from them.

I can understand your frustration though. Although my book wasn't pricey, I'm still unable to find one to replace it. Good advice, btw. I recommend scans of the books before submission so if anything looks off you have something to compare it to.

CGC probably has a few cases of DD 168 in 9.6 and they can replace the one they ripped. It's not like it's Detective 28 or something tough.
Well, if that's the case (bad pun), I want one. DETECTIVE 28 is out my league, but spending $100+ for a book is a lot of change for my budget, and I like the book.

I'll let you know what happens...

I believe you are refering to a bindery tear.. yes??
Certain bindery defects are allowed in 9.6...Dollar Comics being an example.
Thats why I asked him. Bindery tears are also allowed on 9.8s .

I wouldn't have sent it to CGC with such a tear, let alone buy it raw like that at the price I paid...

makepoint.gif

Maybe he didnt inspect the entire book confused-smiley-013.gif How many knuckleheads send books to CGC without inspecting them from top to bottom

Certain bindery defects are allowed in 9.6...Dollar Comics being an example.
Thats why I asked him. Bindery tears are also allowed on 9.8s .
Photos on the way.

Hard to see it in the photo (I don't have a scanner), but it looks like a clean cut (almost like a clean exacto cut). I don't think it's a bindery tear, but regardless it wasn't there when I sent the book, because I wouldn't send any book with a tear, unless it was a GOLDEN AGE book or key SILVER AGE.

Just speculation.....but I imagine there was a tiny bindery tear to begin with. The package was impacted where the ULC of the slab was...the interior of the book shifted towards the edge....cover stayed in place....tiny bindery tear became 1/2" tear. frown.gif