• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.6 With Tear!?!?! Ughh I Wanna Cry!!!

45 posts in this topic

Maybe he didnt inspect the entire book confused-smiley-013.gif How many knuckleheads send books to CGC without inspecting them from top to bottom

I count only one knucklehead in this room poke2.gif

Who?? The Beyonder confused-smiley-013.gifstooges.gif

Just speculation... Newt comes back from lunch with shiny new pair of scissors... just itching to test them out... urge is too much... sees no one around so he carves a neat slice out of the top book in the "Please Encapsulate" pile... he snickers at himself ("just like Darth carving Obi-wan!") and heads back to his desk to troll Star Wars sites.

Just speculation.....but I imagine there was a tiny bindery tear to begin with. The package was impacted where the ULC of the slab was...the interior of the book shifted towards the edge....cover stayed in place....tiny bindery tear became 1/2" tear. frown.gif
Quite possible there was a bindery tear, but after reading the thread you linked to this whole process seems less than reliable if shipping them slabbed is riskier than raw...

I REALLY hope I don't get [insert bad word] here... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hmmm send it back and they decide for you to regrade it then you get a lovely 6.0 back haha. At least now its still a 9.6.
But it's not a 9.6 NOW. Therein lies my issue with slabbed books since day one. Too many people don't know how to grade and simply rely on the number indicated on the case. What about daamge incurred from light? Don't slabbed books photodegrade like raw copies??? What happens 10 years own the road when that ASM #300 9.8 up in the shop display is no longer a 9.8 because the color has faded, but the case says 9.8?

Enough, enough, I'm just upset. I'd better go get some air and take care of some busines (man, why this book - I could have lived with one of the WOLVERINE #1s getting damaged...)

Just speculation.....but I imagine there was a tiny bindery tear to begin with. The package was impacted where the ULC of the slab was...the interior of the book shifted towards the edge....cover stayed in place....tiny bindery tear became 1/2" tear. frown.gif
Quite possible there was a bindery tear, but after reading the thread you linked to this whole process seems less than reliable if shipping them slabbed is riskier than raw...

I REALLY hope I don't get [insert bad word] here... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If by "[insert bad word] here..." you mean your 9.6 copy of DD 168 is now a mid-grade......then "yes"....you did. sorry.gif

I hate to play the spoiler here . . . but it is very likely that you missed the defect before submitting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It happens to the best of us grin.gif

I know, but that would mean 5 of us missed it - myself, the seller of the raw copy, and the 3(?) graders.... No, this book was damaged in transit or during encapsulation. The grader notes make ZERO reference to any sort of tear.

I hate to play the spoiler here . . . but it is very likely that you missed the defect before submitting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

STRIKE ONE: Blindly defending CGC in the face of overwhelming evidence. Defending CGC when doing so actually condemns their grading acumen.

CGC has in the past acknowledged that such accidents do occur, and if the grading notes don't indicate a tear, you have two choices: the tear wasn't there when 3 veteran graders scrutinized the book, and thus occurred after grading; or the tear was there upon arrival/submission of the book, and 3 veteran graders all missed it. Your choice.

STRIKE ONE: Blindly defending CGC in the face of overwhelming evidence. Defending CGC when doing so actually condemns their grading acumen.

CGC has in the past acknowledged that such accidents do occur, and if the grading notes don't indicate a tear, you have two choices: the tear wasn't there when 3 veteran graders scrutinized the book, and thus occurred after grading; or the tear was there upon arrival/submission of the book, and 3 veteran graders all missed it. Your choice.

One stinks, and the other erases all credibility.

it got ripped during encapsulation. the folks a cgc would not have missed such a large tear in the cover.

is encapsulation outsourced to bangledesh or something along those lines?

it got ripped during encapsulation. the folks a cgc would not have missed such a large tear in the cover.

Agreed.

It's such a clean slice, I can't help but think the sharp edge of the inner well sliced into it as it was being handled during the encapsulation process.

It's not in the notes. Send it in and we'll look at it and compensate you accordingly. Sorry this happened. frown.gif
Thanks - I don't want you to think I'm ripping into CGC. It's just my first submission and this happens... 893whatthe.gif You know what they say about 1st impressions...

The gentlemen I spoke to over the phone from CGC said the same you did, and he was very polite, and sincere. I hope it all works out, but I've had so MANY bad experiences with customer service in general, that I ALWAYS expect to come out on the losing end. Don't get me started on my internet provider and my problems with them - those [insert LOTS of bad words here!!!]!!!!

I'll package the book with a second batch of books to be graded and hope for the best. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm coming to the party a little late, but it looks like a classic slice caused by putting the book into some kind of case. In this case, the well.

Good on CGC for making good on this. I know it's a pain in the rear end, but it sounds like they're going to make good on this.

And really, who amongst us hasn't sliced a book before. I shaved a lovely slice off an otherwise VF copy of Our Army at War #136... and swore at myself like a sailor.

Shep

I'm coming to the party a little late, but it looks like a classic slice caused by putting the book into some kind of case. In this case, the well.

Good on CGC for making good on this. I know it's a pain in the rear end, but it sounds like they're going to make good on this.

And really, who amongst us hasn't sliced a book before. I shaved a lovely slice off an otherwise VF copy of Our Army at War #136... and swore at myself like a sailor.

Shep

Ugh... I'm guilty of the tape pull on the cover thingee.