• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Epic Illustrated finished, what's next?

17 posts in this topic

I've been a fan of the Epic Illustrated Mags since they first came out. I was in college at that time and found myself very receptive to reading offbeat stuff. I originally had the first 20 or so mags back in the day, but I sold them to a LCS in the late 1980s. So about a year ago I decided to go and get the run again....and just finished getting the whole set this past week thanks to sckao and the VCC.

Surprisingly, for me, the mag is still a fun read today. Outstanding covers and interesting and occasionaly oddball stories. The things that I learned in gathering the series is that you can wallpaper your house with #1 issues tonofbricks.gif; for me issues #20 and #30 to #34 were the hardest to find in decent condition.

Some sellers were ready to part with the mags for pennies on the dollar while a few understood the whole concept of "end of run" print runs and it took $10/$15 a pop to get those last issues.

Since finishing the run I've thought about starting the chase for another Mag series. I'm thinking about starting on the MythAdventures mags. I've read all of the Robert Asprin Myth novels and I already have a couple of the comic mags which I reread today. Phil Foglio's art is great and adds to the overall humor of the story.

Anyone have any praise or gripes about the MythAdventures series or maybe a suggestion for another possible series to collect? Maybe A Distant Soil or such?, which I've never read. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thanks

Well, I don't know anything about the MythAdventure series but I would recommend looking at collecting the Skywald magazines. They will be a challenge in high grade (no warehouse finds), they're less abundant than the Warren or Marvel mags & are very cool. The hardest one will be the one-shot Gothic Romance......expect to pay for that one.

Congratulations on the Epic run. I've always enjoyed the series & felt they were under appreciated. thumbsup2.gif

Skywald?????

Is everything they did Horror? I'm not in a gross-out mood right now, but then again you never know. Are the interior stories better/worse than the Warren Eeries/Creepys?

Love the avatar....seems quite appropriate. grin.gif

i picked up 80 issues at an antique store for $.75 each and another 15 or so at adventurecon for $25, so i'm on my way. No 9.6's but nice complete midgrades. Plan on finishing a big chunk then reading them.

i picked up 80 issues at an antique store for $.75 each and another 15 or so at adventurecon for $25, so i'm on my way. No 9.6's but nice complete midgrades. Plan on finishing a big chunk then reading them.

I came close to picking up some SSOCs from Charlie Bond at AdventureCon....but he took a break while I was looking at the mags and I never got back with him to haggle. frown.gif

Suggestions for nice titles with not too many issues in the run...

Elfquest

Warrior

First Kingdom

First Kingdom is a good possibility. thumbsup2.gif

I've already tried a number of Elfquest books...they were okay, but they didn't make me want to get them all. confused-smiley-013.gif

Warrior would be the Brit mag right? I've thought about getting that mag a number of times as I enjoy the Judge Dredd stuff...not so sure about the rest of it though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is some nice stuff including Marvelman and the 1st V for Vendetta.

Treading on supposed sacred ground here, but Alan Moore doesn't "rock my world". I loved Saga of the Swamp Thing....thought Watchmen was okay...even liked Top Ten too. But he's as much a "miss" as he is a "hit" for me at least.

I'll throw the first brick so I can get some pratice in dodging them.... tonofbricks.gif

27_laughing.gif

I came close to picking up some SSOCs from Charlie Bond at AdventureCon....but he took a break while I was looking at the mags and I never got back with him to haggle. frown.gif

was that the guy along the far wall near the wrestling ring with the mag boxes on the floor?

was that the guy along the far wall near the wrestling ring with the mag boxes on the floor?

Yep, he was at the far wall, not beside- but near the wrestlers, with boxes labeled as $10, $15, $25, etc. Mags on floor.

Nice guy, I should have rememebered to go back to his booth. frustrated.gif

no, the warren insides tend to be much better than the skywalds, but those skywald covers are so horrendously gross i just want them whenever I see them! warren tries to be artistic....skywald tries to make you vomit!

no, the warren insides tend to be much better than the skywalds, but those skywald covers are so horrendously gross i just want them whenever I see them! warren tries to be artistic....skywald tries to make you vomit!

You talking bouts Skywald or Stanley?