• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko Art! Let's see it . . .

45 posts in this topic

In honor of my new-found buddy, Snapperhead, I'm going to dedicate this thread to him. flowerred.gif

First off . . .

4zkxukw.jpg

CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 Cover original (3rd issue), April - May 1966

During the 1960s (my era of nostalgia), growing up in the city of Liverpool, England, American comic-books where everywhere. Superheroes reigned supreme, with Marvel and DC being the big guns. Whilst I collected most of the Marvel titles, I only read a handful of DCs. I also collected other stuff, like Gold Key's excellent LOST IN SPACE and some of the Charlton titles - especially those featuring the work of Steve Ditko. Ditko was my favourite superhero artist, his work on THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN remaining unsurpassed (IMHO). During Ditko's tenure on Spidey, he was involved with some of the Charlton superhero characters, most notably CAPTAIN ATOM and (the new) BLUE BEETLE. I collected those books, loved them and still retain my copies from their newstand appearance of the 1960s. First time I ever became aware of the existence of the original cover artwork to CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 was via a Robert Rogovin 4 COLOR COMICS sales catalog. The asking price was beyond my means, which saddened me. Several years later, I was delighted and amazed to be offered the cover in trade from Ken Danker. Tom Neal owned the artwork at one time, and it's changed hands several times since then. Its journey ends here, with me. A grail-like item from my collection. Not quite in the same league as Spidey covers, but very, very special to me.

Okay, let's see what you guys got . . . fire away!

Next . . .

4mcwiec.jpg

NUKLA # 4 Cover original, September 1966

An extremely rare (surviving) example of a 1960s Steve Ditko Superhero cover - from Dell's NUKLA # 4 (1966). Forgettable title that only lasted 4 issues, but Ditko's art is nothing short of awesome!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Yes, let's see them all. Awesome Captain Atom cover, by the way hail.gif Post-ASM Ditko art doesn't get the respect it deserves, in my opinion.

Angelo

Actually, the CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 cover is concurrent with ASM # 36 . . .

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Yes, let's see them all. Awesome Captain Atom cover, by the way hail.gif Post-ASM Ditko art doesn't get the respect it deserves, in my opinion.

Angelo

Actually, the CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 cover is concurrent with ASM # 36 . . .

My bad. Let me rephrase it: Ditko's Charlton work doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Angelo

This is one of my favorites....and his Dr. Strange work is gorgeous in person and rare as Hen's teeth to find in Pencil and Ink by Ditko.

ditko_stales127p19.jpg

No kidding amazing...as great as Ditko was on Spidey, his talents were even better served with Dr. Strange. He could do bitter realism and revolutionary fantasy equally well. Not the most realistic of artists, but certainly one of the right "matches" with the comic book medium.

Dan

Thanks, Trent. I don't know if your'e being sarcastic or not, but I'll take it. Amazing stuff guys. That Captain Atom is awesome! I can see why you wanted it so badly. I liked Ditko best when he inked himself, but this guy did a really good job.

That ST page is bad too. That's my favorite Ditko stuff. His Dr Strange work was always really fun to look at.

Unfortunately, Ditko's a bit out of my price range, so I don't have anything to share. One day maybe..

Here's my Ditko pre-hero splash to TTA 25 grin.gif Love that haunted house! cloud9.gif

I used to have more Ditko art but traded it to acquire my Fin Fang Foom splash.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Ditkosplash.jpg

And where have you been hiding this? hail.gif

Angelo

Mister Trent -- Ditko is good.

But has anyone told you about John Romita?

Wrong . . . Ditko is Legend. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Actually, at one time I owned a Romita page from DAREDEVIL # 18 and two Romita/Kane pages from ASM.

If you don't think I admire Romita, you do me a disservice . . . frown.gif

Very cool splash Rhino. Really old too. This type of piece would probably be my choice if I could get a Ditko. Pre-hero or Dr. Strange.

Trent, Hal said it, not me lol

Yeah, but I bet you put him up to it. mad.gif

That's it . . . you can't come to my party . . . wink.gif

... wow. Do you ever look at your art and say to yourself, "Holy *spoon*! I own an original piece of Ditko's art???"

Thanks for sharing- very, very cool!

And Hal- as much as I absolutely love Romita Sr.'s work on Spidey, absolute respect is due to the man that got our favorite wall-crawler into the spotlight.

... wow. Do you ever look at your art and say to yourself, "Holy *spoon*! I own an original piece of Ditko's art???"

Thanks for sharing- very, very cool!

And Hal- as much as I absolutely love Romita Sr.'s work on Spidey, absolute respect is due to the man that got our favorite wall-crawler into the spotlight.

What's even more incredible to me is that I've somehow had the amazing fortune to land two Superhero covers from Ditko's prime period . . . I mean, aside from a small handful of ASM covers known to have survived, there can't be very many (Large Art) superhero covers by the great man in existence . . .

Now that you mention it...that's true. I've seen very few Ditko covers in my day. Well, none in person, but even on the internet, they seem incredibly scarce. I could never afford one either way, but where'd they all go?