• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Turner to do 6 issue run on Batman/Superman

17 posts in this topic

I read in the recent Wizard mag that Michael Turner will do 6 issues of Batman/Superman guest starring Wonder Woman! I'm looking forward to this... how about anyone else? Anyone notice that lately DC has really been piling up the top flight artists! Great stuff and following the lead Marvel set a few years ago, but doing it even better. I've always thought that if DC did something like this, they'd really generate excitement, it's the most well known characters with the top talent... a great formula for success.

Anyone notice that lately DC has really been piling up the top flight artists!

Hmmm, they also seem to be stealing writing talent away from Marvel, Grant Morrison has just quit New X-Men to sign a DC exclusive deal. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DC are certainly making all the right moves, but I note in the Wizard piece on Turner that he said he was also keen to work on Spider-Man in the near future. THAT I would like to see. cool.gif

Very exciting. I've ALWAYS loved Turner's work. It just seems he didn't get the respect he deserved working for Top Cow, whose born and bred talent seems to produce the hottest female figures in the industry. I like McGuiness's work on supes but it'd be neat to see Turner's take - wonder if Batman would look like the Darkness or if Supes would resemble facially Nottingham or Killian(from Fathom). Thanks for the heads up - now I know what to hoard smile.gif

I really haven't seen any artists of today really impress me...Only jim lee has.Everyone else draws like jim lee,Alot of people say "it's the west coast style" It's the the Jim Lee style is what it is...Even Michael Turner Looks like Jim Lee's to an extent,Pretty much all of Marvel has a similar look to it,I don't think there is going to be any more guy like Mcfarlane to come around,or anyone with a style all their own that blows everyone away. Kevin

Yep. DC is shoring up all the talent out there. Right now, all Marvel has is Bendis and Millar!!! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Chris

Phil Jiminez has signed a 4yr exclusive with DC as well. So much for his stint on New X-Men...

I guess the next logical question is what is DC doing to lock in all these guys to these exclusive contract. My guess is that they are offering something similar to Crossgen and offering them stable work, possibly benefits, and giving the freelance comic artist formerly unavailable, security.

This is sort of like the talent in sports... free agency has a lot of big name talents all signing with one company... how will Marvel compete for the talent?

I've noticed a trend in my modern collecting. It used to be I read mostly Marvel books, (wolverine, new xmen, ultimate spiderman, etc.). Now however, I've dropped most of the marvel titles because the stories or the art has just stank. I mean fresh doggie poo stink at that. Last week as I browsed the comic shelves, I found myself drawn to DC's rack. Whatever DC is doing, keep it up. I've truly been won over with Loeb/Lee Batman. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm surprised this isn't done more often, but I guess the very best artists can usually make more $ publishing their own books if they have a large fan following. I just love to see a great artist do work on the best Marvel and DC characters. I've enjoyed the Jim Lee Batman run even though I am bored by the writing just because Jim Lee draws such a terrific Batman. The Jim Lee Superman should be loads of fun as well.

About DC getting so much of the great talent, I read an interview with Joe Q where he was lamenting that DC has AOL Time Warner as the parent company, so they can afford to buy whoever they want to exclusive contracts. I don't totally buy this theory as I'm sure the DC division still has to try to be profitable and can't just throw away money, but maybe it doesn't give them more bargaining power.

Hopefully DC paid Jim Lee a ton of money and made even more money in the process, and Marvel and DC will do this more with the very top artists. I see that Silverstri is drawing some X-Men books later this year and that should be fun as well. I'd love to see Campbell do some Spider-Man work besides the covers and just see the best artists drawing the best characters. Maybe Marvel/DC are finally figuring out that this sells books along with good writing.

I guess the Alex Ross books are the ultimate example of this, although he is probably in a class by himself at this point.