• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #31 - 4.0 Extensive Pro Work Question

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know who owns this book?? confused-smiley-013.gif I come to the GA section from time to time to look in awe at the fabulous books (like reading the Sunday Post on a lazy morning).. I've always kept myself from getting into the genre even though I absolutely love it. So I thought.. the only way I would ever start is if I get a Tec #31 right from the start... that should keep me from collecting GA for a long time... anyways... does anyone know who has this in their possession and if they would consider selling.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks a bunch !!!

Does anyone know who owns this book?? confused-smiley-013.gif I come to the GA section from time to time to look in awe at the fabulous books (like reading the Sunday Post on a lazy morning).. I've always kept myself from getting into the genre even though I absolutely love it. So I thought.. the only way I would ever start is if I get a Tec #31 right from the start... that should keep me from collecting GA for a long time... anyways... does anyone know who has this in their possession and if they would consider selling.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks a bunch !!!

which book?...where do you see it?

rick

which book?...where do you see it?

Read the title of the thread. poke2.gif

I assume D&S is inquiring about a specific book?...yet, there is no reference to where he has seen this copy he is inquiring about?

I love tec 31's!, so I am interested in seeing too...

gator

Dad&son,

I don't know if you saw it but a year or so back a CGC 0.5 or maybe 1.5 (pretty sure it was 0.5 incomplete) copy came up on ebay. I believe it was missing the BC but otherwise intact, it went for a steal with a complete and unrestored cover. I would be afraid that a book with Extensive P would have a lot of front cover rebuild on it. What are your feelings on the amount of recreation on a book like that versus a much lower grade on a very well presenting copy unrestored?

-CW

I assume D&S is inquiring about a specific book?...yet, there is no reference to where he has seen this copy he is inquiring about?

gator

I figured he saw it in the CGC census? Census for restored Tec #31's

gator

I figured he saw it in the CGC census? Census for restored Tec #31's

thumbsup2.gif

Hi ... sorry for the delayed response... busy doing renos and forgot to check back..but yes... that's exactly where I found the info ...from the census... thumbsup2.gif

I figured a heavily restored copy in 4.0 grade would still have great eye appeal but I've never seen the copy with my own eyes... gossip.gif

Dad&son,

I don't know if you saw it but a year or so back a CGC 0.5 or maybe 1.5 (pretty sure it was 0.5 incomplete) copy came up on ebay. I believe it was missing the BC but otherwise intact, it went for a steal with a complete and unrestored cover. I would be afraid that a book with Extensive P would have a lot of front cover rebuild on it. What are your feelings on the amount of recreation on a book like that versus a much lower grade on a very well presenting copy unrestored?

-CW

Hi CW- For me, I'm not concerned about a "Franken-book " with lots of rebuild... it would be displayed on a mantle in my home office and from afar ( 3 feet ) you wouldn't be able to notice the resto unless closely inspected. So for a book like this..I'd prefer the eye appeal over a lesser graded unrestored. thumbsup2.gif

Dad&son,

-CW

I hear you, but plenty of books get the Extensive label that don't really have tremendous work. I quarter sized piece replacement added to other work that would be in the slight or moderate category will pop an Extensive on the label.

It is best to examine the book and make a considered choice based on what you see. I have and have had some "extensive" books that were no where near Fraken-books or unsightly. However, I have seen some ugly restored books too.

I am a big fan of restored books, especially if you buy the book in "lessor" condition and have a pro restore it for you...you know what the before and after is, and as D&S states, you get a great looking copy, often at a small percent (50% or sometimes much less) of the price of an unrestored copy...I equally like to buy already restored books at fair prices too....just makes one have the ability to make more purchases...perfect example is AA 16...you could spend $50-60K+ on a fine copy (assuming you could find one, that is), or $13K on a previously gd/vg copy that can be restored to fine with moderate work...both books look the same to the untrained eye, but with the restored copy, you have enough money left over to go out and buy a restored superman 1...now, don't get me wrong, there is a certain "je ne sais pas" about owning an original untouched book, but I don't restrict my collecting to that line of thinking...I welcome all funny books, blue or purple or green...

rick

I am a big fan of restored books, especially if you buy the book in "lessor" condition and have a pro restore it for you...you know what the before and after is, and as D&S states, you get a great looking copy, often at a small percent (50% or sometimes much less) of the price of an unrestored copy...I equally like to buy already restored books at fair prices too....just makes one have the ability to make more purchases...perfect example is AA 16...you could spend $50-60K+ on a fine copy (assuming you could find one, that is), or $13K on a previously gd/vg copy that can be restored to fine with moderate work...both books look the same to the untrained eye, but with the restored copy, you have enough money left over to go out and buy a restored superman 1...now, don't get me wrong, there is a certain "je ne sais pas" about owning an original untouched book, but I don't restrict my collecting to that line of thinking...I welcome all funny books, blue or purple or green...

rick

that sums up my initial thought perfectly... when it comes to GA.. if I ever decide to move into the genre.. I know I can only play in the arena if I go after restored books..even if the restoration takes a book the the Fine (6.0) level.. otherwise I'd end up owning 5 books before I'm 40 ..and that's not cool thumbsup2.gif