• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Changes Coming to Spider-Man Line

43 posts in this topic

I'll save JC the trouble (although I'm sure he'll chime in anyway).

You have got to be kidding. Comparing comics to gas? 27_laughing.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Another example of how logic can be hard to grasp for some popcorn.gif

I understand the point you were trying to make and agree that most retail items increase in price over time. It's just that you're wrong.

You can't compare changes in gas prices and use them to justify the price of comics for myriad reasons. The only validity your comparison has is that by reducing Spider-Man to the one title, those who need (want) Spidey will have to buy that title (3 times a month) no matter how much it costs.

Show me other retail items that have increased in price in a way similar to ASM. Heck, show me other comics that have.

Comic example:

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories. #599 was $1.95 @ 36 pages, #601 was $5.95 @64 pages, then #612 begins $6.95, and now #680 it's up to $7.50 per.

My point is that every retail item increases, and every time there is an increase to comic prices, there are complaints. Is Countdown better than 52? It better be because it's 50 cents more per issue. Anyone notice that?

Seriously, what 52 pulled off with a weekly book for a year without being late was unbelievable. Whether you like DC or not, that was a huge feat. It's obvious Marvel saw an opportunity, and is going to attempt it. How long will it be before an issue is late? How many times is it going to happen? If Civil War, the #1 priority and the blockbuster of the summer was late, what will happen to Spidey?

I would bet that after a year of this new plan, the book comes out on average twice per month--that's just my guess. I'm not slamming Marvel, because every publisher has late books, I'm just saying that I don't think it's probable.

Page count go up? Probably not... Readership go up? More likely down...

That's the way it is in any declining market.

Readership drops, prices go up, profits increase slightly, readership drops, prices go up, profits increase slightly...

A few years down the line, comics will be selling for $10.

They are called Trades. gossip.gif

Considering that before the recent rise in gas prices, the only consumer item that remotely came close to the insane price spikes of comics books was coffee (as has been covered many, many times on here), I'd say your logic is severely lacking.

Why not try truly comparable items, like paperbacks, newspapers, magazines?

Oh yeah, they don't even come close to the rampant inflation of comic book cover prices, so therefore, you totally forget about them and concentrate on... gas.. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Show me other retail items that have increased in price in a way similar to ASM.

As many on here have proven, other than possibly coffee, they don't exist. Comic book price spikes since the 70's far outpace any other remotely comparable consumable.

That's a fact, Jack.

I'm not sure how i feel about this. On one hand im delighted their dropping that hack, JMS. The covers look cool and so does that Quesada splash. On the other hand i'll be picking up another 2 books a month, the rotating creative teams probably won't work and these price increases are getting ridiculous.

The creative teams, when announced, might swing me continuing with the title. Otherwise 550 might be my last frown.gif

Considering that before the recent rise in gas prices, the only consumer item that remotely came close to the insane price spikes of comics books was coffee (as has been covered many, many times on here), I'd say your logic is severely lacking.

Why not try truly comparable items, like paperbacks, newspapers, magazines?

I'm guessing you didn't read sckao's link. Aside from the special issue spikes, Time magazine has pretty much kept pace, albeit slightly lower; however Time magazine is also released more frequently.

Gas, coffee. What about movie ticket prices? No wait, movies aren't paper, even though they're entertainment like comics. Heck, some movies are about comics 893whatthe.gif but that would make too much sense wouldn't it?

But, hey, with tunnel vision your point makes perfect sense.

So is ASM going to $3.99 per issue now? I only saw the one issue with the "still 399 cents" tag line but missed any official announcement. A link would be greatly appreciated.

-Bob

I'm guessing you didn't read sckao's link. Aside from the special issue spikes, Time magazine has pretty much kept pace, albeit slightly lower; however Time magazine is also released more frequently.

Gas, coffee. What about movie ticket prices? No wait, movies aren't paper, even though they're entertainment like comics. Heck, some movies are about comics 893whatthe.gif but that would make too much sense wouldn't it?

None of those examples make any sense, as movie ticket prices haven't increased anywhere near the level of comics, and have not even jumped 4X since the 70's, while comics have risen almost 20X in the same period.

And even Time Magazine ($3.95 cover) is less expensive than the new $3.99 Marvel price, and it was almost 3X the cost of a comic in the 1970's. Plus, their "cover price" means little, as the majority of copies are sold in subs, which range from $10-$18 a year. foreheadslap.gif

Where do you get your data? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

None of those examples make any sense, as movie ticket prices haven't increased anywhere near the level of comics, and have not even jumped 4X since the 70's, while comics have risen almost 20X in the same period.

And even Time Magazine ($3.95 cover) is less expensive than the new $3.99 Marvel price, and it was almost 3X the cost of a comic in the 1970's. Plus, their "cover price" means little, as the majority of copies are sold in subs, which range from $10-$18 a year. foreheadslap.gif

Where do you get your data? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You are completely missing the point, and if you would have read the previous posts, you wouldn't be posting info that's already been covered foreheadslap.gif

Why would you stop at the 70's? Why not go back to 1963? Because that makes my point and not yours? Way to skew data. Look it up.

I already mentioned the cover price advantage of Time. We aren't discussing sales, or where books are sold, it's cover price and the increase over a similar time frame. That info came from the link I mentioned, which if you would have read it, you would have known.

Your "Sky is falling for modern comics" schtick is getting tired.

And that's a fact, Jack.

We aren't discussing sales, or where books are sold

Sorry for trying to inject a bit of reality in this discussion. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

If you think comics have had very little in the way of price inflation, and that there are tons of other items that have increased at a similar rate, then you're either insane or a shill troll.

And I don't argue with either one so welcome to my ignore list Troll. makepoint.gif

You had said that the price increase was due to to a drop in readership, with no mention of the fact that everything increases over time in price, which has been my point throughout this thread.

I have given examples of other products and comics that have had large increases, and have never said that comics have had "very little in the way of price inflation".

I have recieved messages from 3 members telling me that it's pointless trying to discuss things rationally with you, because all you do is try to instigate arguments with the "moderns are garbage" argument you always fall back to-- which makes who a troll?

My lesson learned: don't feed the troll.

We aren't discussing sales, or where books are sold

Sorry for trying to inject a bit of reality in this discussion. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

If you think comics have had very little in the way of price inflation, and that there are tons of other items that have increased at a similar rate, then you're either insane or a shill troll.

And I don't argue with either one so welcome to my ignore list Troll. makepoint.gif

Hypocrite poke2.gif

So is ASM going to $3.99 per issue now? I only saw the one issue with the "still 399 cents" tag line but missed any official announcement. A link would be greatly appreciated.

-Bob

Good question. Some people here are jumping the gun in order to hear themselves talk.

Right now there's some confusion because the same artwork has turned up elsewhere and says 'still only 299 cents'. It's also possible that the book may be a dollar more only for the 'one more day' realted issues as they may have bonus material.

-Bob

Good question. Some people here are jumping the gun in order to hear themselves talk.

Right now there's some confusion because the same artwork has turned up elsewhere and says 'still only 299 cents'. It's also possible that the book may be a dollar more only for the 'one more day' realted issues as they may have bonus material.

I think it's typo...

Why would it say still only 399 cents when it's never been $3.99 yet... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep, and it all has to do with the declining market.

It has nothing to do with inflationary impact, or even the costs of materials increase. Nope. None.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

The latest $1 increase from $2.99 to $3.99 represents an approximate 33% price increase from one month to the next, and I sincerely doubt that inflation and raw materials costs have jumped by 1/3 from 30 days ago.

Do you? screwy.gif

If Marvel had raised it 20-30-cents, you might have a point, but not a full dollar.

Ahhhh, grasshoppa, when limited thinking is applied, this is the only conclusion sumo.gif

Let's take a look at something that has had a similar price to comics since the Golden Age: gasoline.

In 1940 the average price for a gallon of gas was 12.1 cents per gallon, which was 2 cents more than a GA comic book. Now the average price is $3.22 per gallon, which is -at $3.99- 77 cents less, and -at $2.99- 23 cents more. Both examples are in the ballpark of typical inflationary ranges. Based on inflation, average wages, and other goods, gas SHOULD be $3.22 per gallon (as of 2 months ago); so a comic book should be in or around the same price.

My point was and is this: EVERYTHING RETAIL INCREASES IN PRICE. To say that the ONLY reason they increased their price was due to lower readership is ignoring world economics.

you forget that a 1940 comic book was 64 pages with 8 complete stories, no ads, and 50% larger pages.

a 2007 comic book is what, 22 pages? with 1/6th of a complete story? and pages and pages of ads?