• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Batman Question

12 posts in this topic

Being a long time Batman collector, I would be the first to acknowledge that putting together a complete run is strictly a question of money but if you throw into the mix, must be 8.0 or higher, it get tougher. Also, looking at the Census, certain issues still seem pretty low, for example 63, 71, 72, 77, 83, 89, 90, 91, and 99. So are there a lot more out there but they are just locked away in collections or are we really seeing the trend for these issues? For me, my copies of 71, 77, 90, 91, and 99 are not graded and the 71 and 91 are high grade condition. My question is, does the census provide a real view on the true number and condition of issues out there? I know there are lots of Batman collectors out there but I don't know how many have high grade copies that are locked away. Also, does anyone know about pedigree colections that contained later issues of Batman (1950s)?

hello all...

I do look at the census as I go after a book, to give me general idea of the scarcity of a book...my batman run was initially going to be all 6.0, blue labled cgc...why, because as greg says, a batman run is really only "challenging" if you force yourself into some restrictions...in gd or better, I can put a run together in 2 hours...in fine or better, been working on it for 2 years and have had to settle for a few 5.0's to fill in the gaps...in VF or better, I would imagine just about impossible if you are in a "hurry" (i.e. don't want to spend 5 years or more)...are they out there?....I think in general, those early to mid 1950's DC are tough in higher grade (i.e. fine or better)...not restricted to Batman, but try detective, wonder woman, sensation, world's finest, action, superman, etc, etc....

then, there is the issue of "value"...is it worth spending $25-50 to cgc a $200 comic?...many will say "no" and there are likely many nicer 1950's issues in folks collections that are not cgc'd...that is why in most all runs, you see a heavier concentration of graded copies in the lower (generally more valuable) issues, than the later issues, due to the expense to value ratio...

rick

I think it is too early in the census life for it to be accurate with such a widely collected comicbook field like Batman. Much too early. So I dont think it is accurate [YET!] but it will be in the future.

Agreed - I like the Census, and appreciate what they are trying to do, but it's way too early in the process to stamp accuracy with any degree of certainty.

I think of the many long-term collectors I know who have not yet CGC'd their collections (myself included), so there is a lot more material out there left to be graded.

STEVE

I think of the many long-term collectors I know who have not yet CGC'd their collections (myself included), so there is a lot more material out there left to be graded.

STEVE

......and there are quite a few "old school" collectors with high end collections that will probably never have their Bats/books graded. I have talked to numerous of these "distinguished gray hair" collectors over the years who feel that CGC is uneccessary ( for them ), and actually find the concept of a grading / certification proccess insulting to their ability to grade and spot resto on their own.

I guess that makes me "new school"....I CGC certify just about every book I can get my hands on grin.gif

Steve

STEVE

......and there are quite a few "old school" collectors with high end collections that will probably never have their Bats/books graded. I have talked to numerous of these "distinguished gray hair" collectors over the years who feel that CGC is uneccessary ( for them ), and actually find the concept of a grading / certification proccess insulting to their ability to grade and spot resto on their own.

I guess that makes me "new school"....I CGC certify just about every book I can get my hands on grin.gif

Steve

Yes, I have also not gotten around to CGCing my GA collection even though it is a pretty small collection.

I certainly don't find the certification process to be an insult especially when it comes to the restoration detection aspect of the service. I just don't see any real reason to get them slabbed until it becomes time to sell them.

Especially when the books just looks so much nicer in mylar and also saves a lot of storage space relative to the slabs.

One collector put it this way. Why should I put my comic in a coffin.

I share a similar opinion. I sent 4 books in to CGC right after they started to get an idea of how they graded versus how I graded. Since then, I have only bought CGC books except a small group I had graded for selling. I am wondering if the census represents 1%, 10%, or 50% of what is out there. My guess is around 5% to 10% but that is just a guess.

I share a similar opinion. I sent 4 books in to CGC right after they started to get an idea of how they graded versus how I graded. Since then, I have only bought CGC books except a small group I had graded for selling. I am wondering if the census represents 1%, 10%, or 50% of what is out there. My guess is around 5% to 10% but that is just a guess.

hello all...

I suspect the census is easily in the single digits for most all GA books...again, there are thousands and thousands of ga collectors (spread across all genres of course), and many ga books show less than 100 (many way less than that) graded...

I think single digits, but still likely a large enough population to at least make an semi educated guess as to "conditions" out there...

take whiz 1, for example...most folks know that the majority of copies are restored, and of all the unrestored copies, the majority seem to be lower in grade (cgc census supports this info)...used a tool, can't be bad...used as only tool, unlikely completely accurate

rick

Another concern high end collectors[or any collector] have is the safety of there books while in transit to CGC and while the book is handled by them before encapsulation.Accidents do happen.

I trust cgc more than my 4 year old smile.gif

hello all...

I suspect the census is easily in the single digits for most all GA books...again, there are thousands and thousands of ga collectors (spread across all genres of course), and many ga books show less than 100 (many way less than that) graded...

I think single digits, but still likely a large enough population to at least make an semi educated guess as to "conditions" out there...

take whiz 1, for example...most folks know that the majority of copies are restored, and of all the unrestored copies, the majority seem to be lower in grade (cgc census supports this info)...used a tool, can't be bad...used as only tool, unlikely completely accurate

rick

Well said Rick!

It’s like someone who goes to college and thinks they will learn everything they need to compete in the real world there. The truth is college can be a helpful tool but can't be your only source of experience and knowledge (especially when it comes to business majors 893naughty-thumb.gif)!