• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Won an auction, now S/H changes - opinions please

21 posts in this topic

See auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

I won the auction and tried to pay for it through ebay. Message on invoice was

"Shipping is a little higher with the havier scanner and copier, congratulations.."

There was no mention of this possibility in the listing. Should I pay it or question it adamantly? the original S/H price was $19.99 and the current invoice price is $28.99. Opinions please.

I would say something, I hold people to their auction listings. They will scream to you it's a binding contract, reverse it on them.

He quoted shipping in the listing, so he shouldn't try to upcharge after the auction. Plus the bidding had to go high enough to include his heavy "free bonuses".

I'd politely say one of the reasons I felt comfortable bidding was because the shipping was known. If he insisted I'd ask how he's shipping it, how much it weighs, and try to confirm that every penny would be spent actually shipping the items. Or not, and refuse to pay more.

Here's a question you should ask yourself:

Do I want this scanner/copier shipped in the cheapest way possible? Because that's what you're kind of asking for.

Does the auction say that the scanner and copier are in perfect working order? Because they may not be when you receive it... tongue.gif

Sometimes, when someone wins my auction and I determine I can ship it to them cheaper than my base price, I charge them less for shipping. No one ever posts a message about that though asking if they should do something about it.

Just giving the other side... if it's a reasonable request, I don't see why you should force the seller to take a loss due to shipping.

Just giving the other side... if it's a reasonable request, I don't see why you should force the seller to take a loss due to shipping.

If the seller didn't want to take a loss on shipping, he should have planned out exactly what shipping would have been with the scanner and printer. It's the seller's own fault if he underestimated shipping like that confused-smiley-013.gif

See auction link:

"Shipping is a little higher with the havier scanner and copier, congratulations.."

There was no mention of this possibility in the listing. Should I pay it or question it adamantly? the original S/H price was $19.99 and the current invoice price is $28.99. Opinions please.

I owe quite a bit of shipping to several on these boards - cd4ever, drbanner, lighthouse, mikeyriffhard, buckbiggins and wrightson fan, to name a few - never a whimper from any of them, but I've got it on my memory hook for future dealings - they shouldn't be shafted just because they made an honest guess at shipping before starting their threads. confused-smiley-013.gif I think with the recent postal changes especially, people have been caught off guard by the high cost.

If the seller didn't want to take a loss on shipping, he should have planned out exactly what shipping would have been with the scanner and printer. It's the seller's own fault if he underestimated shipping like that confused-smiley-013.gif

The seller probably COULD ship it FedEx Ground for less than $20 actually. The original poster might want to suggest that option.

I feel that it is the seller's problem if he quotes too low a price in the auction description. To change the shipping quote after the auction's conclusion is really not very professional. If he was iffy on the shipping costs, he simply could have stated, " I charge EXACT shipping costs, to be determined at auction's conclusion," and then he could tell you precisely what it costs to ship your item to you, and neither of you profits or loses from the actual shipping cost. You technically have the right to decline to purchase the item since the seller is changing the terms (i.e. price for shipping). Just my two cents.

Michael

i've lost money before by listing a shipping cost way too low because i underestimated the size of the box that was required (not comic related). I just bit the bullet, because it was my fault for listing it at that price and not the customer's. if the seller wasn't sure of the actual cost he should have listed that in the auction, but ofcourse he didn't probably because they assumed that it may deter potential bidders.

While I agree the seller bears the responsibility, it cuts both ways. If I charge someone $10 shipping for a slab but my auction doesn't say Flat Rate Priority on it... and I decide to ship it via some other method (Parcel Post or whatever), will the buyer feel slighted that it only cost me $5 to ship it? (of course they do... and they'll forget that eBay/Paypal takes a part of the shipping cost as a Final Value Fee, commission, etc.)

Or if it weighs less and I can ship it regular Priority vs Flat Rate Priority (due to geography as well), then I shouldn't cut the buyer a break and I should charge him what I listed and pocket the difference?

It's all about karma, folks. I've been on both sides of the coin both as a buyer and a seller.

It's also about repeat business and keeping a customer or a favorite seller. If he tells you he will eat the cost of shipping it, will that make you buy more comics from him in the future?

Could be the seller isn't up to speed with the new rates yet.

If it's the real shipping charges (you should be able to tell from the label once you get the package) you probably should just lump it. If it's a shipping profiteer trick you can always leave a neg.

See auction link:

All of those books should fit into 2 Priority flat rate boxes for a grand total of $18 for shipping if they are US based.

I sent a message to the seller expressing my thoughts regarding the new S/H. This was the repsonse I got moments ago.

"if its a problem just send the amount for comic shipping, ill take care of it..wow"

Does "wow" mean "Wow! What a jerk! I can't believe it!" or couild it mean something else?

Is this a board member? Certainly not trying to ruffle feathers or discourage a seller. I simply wondered what the collective thoughts of the community might think how to handle this situation. On nearly every auction, the S/H determines my bidding. This case was no different. Perhaps I should compromise and split the difference. Any more thoughts?

I sent a message to the seller expressing my thoughts regarding the new S/H. This was the repsonse I got moments ago.

"if its a problem just send the amount for comic shipping, ill take care of it..wow"

Does "wow" mean "Wow! What a jerk! I can't believe it!" or couild it mean something else?

Is this a board member? Certainly not trying to ruffle feathers or discourage a seller. I simply wondered what the collective thoughts of the community might think how to handle this situation. On nearly every auction, the S/H determines my bidding. This case was no different. Perhaps I should compromise and split the difference. Any more thoughts?

thats a wow you're a jerk for asking, how dare you, which is wrong as you didn't list the auction, he did.

This is his last response.

"I thought I had mentioned it in the auction, i just looked and i didnt..No big deal, bonuses are included under that shiopping cost, sorry for thje confusion."

I think, in the best interest of buying/selling, I will still throw in a few extra bucks.

Thanks everyone for the opinions.

This is his last response.

"I thought I had mentioned it in the auction, i just looked and i didnt..No big deal, bonuses are included under that shiopping cost, sorry for thje confusion."

I think, in the best interest of buying/selling, I will still throw in a few extra bucks.

Thanks everyone for the opinions.

It looks here like you have a seller who is trying to charge exact shipping and goofed. Shin is right about FedEx ground - he would have come out much closer to the quoted price.

Your point about using his quote to determine your bid is very valid as well, and you should be able to back out without penalty anytime the shipping asked for is more than what is quoted in the auction.

Now, if the package comes and the shipping cost is less than what you paid, after paying more because of an under-quote - that's reason to be angry.