• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you guys do?

41 posts in this topic

I bought a slabbed book off Ebay. I just recieved it today. It was sent in a padded envelop, and the case was cracked. Book looks fine, but that was some pretty yy shipping.

Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2187252473&category=17085&rd=1

I actually (for some reason) did pay for the shipping insurance on this order, but I don't know what to do about that.....

I would send them an email and explain the situation.

Tell them you are sending the book back, and you want to be refunded for the auction price, and shipping BOTH ways.

Let them deal with the insurance, if any was purchased.

All you are guilty of is winning an auction and sending them money.

They should be 100% responsible for the damage and the headache of getting refunded for insurance.

The substandard way they packaged it was the cause of the damage.

It's their fault.

For $7.50 shipping, it should have been packaged in a box.

Hi there. I appreciate the prompt shipping I've just recieved, and the

book looks great, but the case is absolutely crushed and splintered. I

did pay for insurance on the shipping, but I don't know how that works,

now.

Suggestions?

I just sent him this...

Since it wasn't too expensive a book, and if the case wasn't damaged too bad, I would probably accept a partial refund consisting of the re-slabbing fee ($11) and some shipping expenses to send to CGC (say $9 for roundtrip shipping???).

This way, if you don't mind a cracked case, you get a nice book for essentially the cost of the shipping and insurance.

However, it the case really is crushed and splintered to the point of compromising the integrity of the CGC case and the grade they gave it, then I'd expect a full refund.

*** edit ***

Looks like Donut had the same idea. tongue.gif

From his feedback...

Complaint : Rather poor packaging caused CGC-Case to break, therefore no positive! Sorry...

Response by comics-cards - First time for everything - Only time something broke - Send to CGC 4 new case

Good luck with this one.

Looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

You're right....the shipping was a joke for the price he charged.

He should just refund your money and let you keep the book. This is going to be a losing deal for him no matter how he handles it and he has nobody to blame but himself.

You might be able to end up with a nice book for little or no money. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You said you purchased insurance.

Then email the seller (since he should have the insurance receipt) and tell him to go to the post-office and file a claim.

Then you will receive a claims form from the PO in about a week.

Take the form and the cracked slab (with comic book in it) plus a CGC price listing showing a reholdering fee for $11.

The Post Office should refund you the $11 and now you got the book for $4.

Don't even bother getting it reslabbed since it NEVER should have been in the first place.

I doubt the PO will refund in this case since the packing was [!@#%^&^] to say the least. Just ask for a full refund or reslab costs plus shipping to CGC. If nothing is done, neg his sorry [!@#%^&^].

If the book is OK, just ask him to pay for reholstering the slab (plus shipping, of course, both ways). That'd be fair on both ends.

DITTO....this happened to me as a seller, i refunded the buyer $45 for reholdering and S&H for two cracked DD's. laugh.gif

If the book is OK, just ask him to pay for reholstering the slab (plus shipping, of course, both ways). That'd be fair on both ends.

What he said. I've had this happen. Once I sent it back to the seller to get it reslabbed and it worked out okay but it took over three weeks to turn around. I wasn't too comfortable sending the book away though. If you really like the book, send a good pic of the damage and ask the seller to send you the reslab fee and you do the leg work. Another time the seller was supposed to send me the reslab fee and he blew me off, so I neged him.

Is the case so badly damaged that the book would have to be regraded?

dave h

Do you think this is really fair on both ends?

Item cost 15$+4$shipping+1.3$insurance=20.3$

reholstering=11$+shipping both ways=9$(?)=20$

If seller refunds 20$, buyer got his book for free. And the book is still in same condition. Is that slab really so important? Who will really reslab these low cost books?

You could occasionally buy CGC graded moderns from ebay for 5$ (+4$ shipping, total=9$) If slab gets damaged, seller owes you money+gave his book for free?

Simply these kinds of refunds don't make sense on low cost items. At maximum I would expect only reholstering fees (11$).

Do you think this is really fair on both ends?

If seller refunds 20$, buyer got his book for free. And the book is still in same condition. Is that slab really so important? Who will really reslab these low cost books?

Yes, I think it's fair. The buyer bought a CGC graded book and should be able to get exactly what he bought undamaged, or the equivalent funds to allow him to get the damage fixed. The seller should consider this an inexpensive lesson for charging arse rape shipping fees when he knows he's going to go the cheapo route.

You could occasionally buy CGC graded moderns from ebay for 5$ (+4$ shipping, total=9$) If slab gets damaged, seller owes you money+gave his book for free?

That's twisting it to an extreme. In this case the seller should expect to refund the total cost of $9 to the buyer and either let him keep the book, or refund additional funds and have him mail the book back to him.

I mentioned on this site a couple of months ago that I bought a Superman 6 for $900 and the book was shipped in a padded envelope and the CGC case arrived cracked. I've shipped $2 books better than the book sent to me. I scanned the damage and sent the picture to the seller and asked for having the case redone and freight to and from cgc (a total of $40). I was willing to settle for half. The seller refused and the seller said I can send the book back for a full refund. The book was undamaged and I wanted the book and I absorbed the cost of having the book recased. I left a negative feedback. As I recall most posters were defending the seller on the basis that he would take the book back and refund my payment.

I still am bewildered by the responses.

As I recall most posters were defending the seller on the basis that he would take the book back and refund my payment.

I still am bewildered by the responses.

I consider that an acceptable solution that the dealer offered. If he didn't want to offer you a partial refund for reslabbing the book, then I would expect the seller to offer a full refund, inlcuding shipping fees to the buyer.

You wanted the book and opted to eat the costs of reslabbing yourself. That was your choice. confused-smiley-013.gif

However, even though the transaction would have been completed without costing you anything if he gave you a refund.......I would still have considered leaving him a neutral with a comment on his terrible shipping methods to warn others.