• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the "Lower print" ASM's? - Later 1990's

56 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I am putting together a full run of CGC Amazing Spider-Man comics. I am not modern comic collector, so I am dealing with these books for the first time. Last night an ASM v2 #29 sold for $20.00 on this site. It included its "bag and CD". I recently picked up a CGC 9.8 copy for myself, but it doesn't have a CD. I also have a bagged copy with the CD still inside. Did all copies of this issue originally come poly-bagged, or is this something special? Is it worth opening my copy to send it to CGC in hopes of getting another 9.8 (It appears to be that nice)? Or, am I wasting my time even talking about modern CGC books...as they are everywhere? Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Dave

The issue 29 that sold last night was my copy. 29 is one of the harder books to find in nice shape because of the predominantly black front cover. If you can pull a 9.8 on this book you will probably do well if you ever re-sell it, as long as you don't have too much invested in it. The CD is really nothing special, I believe it's an advertisment for marvel.com, but not all copies came bagged with the cd. In fact, I think these were only available to people who subscribed to the title directly from marvel, as the polybag is the same one they used to mail they're other subscription titles in. Hope this helps, and if anyone has anything to add or correct to my statements, please feel free to do so.

-Chris

Thanks for the info! I am still amazed at how quickly I can get quality answers to obscure questions on this site. thumbsup2.gif

I really don't have anything invested in that comic. I bought it as part as a full run of ASM (v2) NM/Mint copies. About half of them were 9.8 quallity, so I sent them off to CGC. Those books alone made my purchase completely worth while. I already had a CGC 9.8 copy of #29, so I threw it into the "scrap pile". Finding value in these others was an afterthought. I was thrilled to see that your book fetched $20 last night, so I decided I should pay a bit more attention to that issue as well as a few of the other leftovers. I still don't know what to do with my bagged #29, so I will hold off sending it in for now.

The issue 29 that sold last night was my copy. 29 is one of the harder books to find in nice shape because of the predominantly black front cover. If you can pull a 9.8 on this book you will probably do well if you ever re-sell it, as long as you don't have too much invested in it. The CD is really nothing special, I believe it's an advertisment for marvel.com, but not all copies came bagged with the cd. In fact, I think these were only available to people who subscribed to the title directly from marvel, as the polybag is the same one they used to mail they're other subscription titles in. Hope this helps, and if anyone has anything to add or correct to my statements, please feel free to do so.

-Chris

I bought my copy from the LCS polybagged with the CD, so most, if not all, of this issue was polybagged. Not sure about the newsstand version.

All the ASM 29s I have purchased were direct editions that were bagged. I dont know what the print ratio was and how many newstands exist, I would like someone to confirm whether the direct edition only came bagged. I dont remember when it came out.

Also I have sold about 5 copies for prices ranging from $15 to $22.00. All the buyers wanted the book sealed they didnt want it removed from the plastic. The highest I have graded one was 9.4/9.6 because without removing it I just cant grade it any higher. So if you have a copy that is bagged and you want to sell it I would advise not opening it. If you check on ebay you see a large difference in price between a 29 that has been opened and one that still sealed. Dont ask me why I dont collect those.

All the ASM 29s I have purchased were direct editions that were bagged. I dont know what the print ratio was and how many newstands exist, I would like someone to confirm whether the direct edition only came bagged. I dont remember when it came out.

Also I have sold about 5 copies for prices ranging from $15 to $22.00. All the buyers wanted the book sealed they didnt want it removed from the plastic. The highest I have graded one was 9.4/9.6 because without removing it I just cant grade it any higher. So if you have a copy that is bagged and you want to sell it I would advise not opening it. If you check on ebay you see a large difference in price between a 29 that has been opened and one that still sealed. Dont ask me why I dont collect those.

Excellent, this is good infrmation. I stopped collecting the title about 10 issues prior to this issue hitting newstands, so I don't remember if it was bagged or not. I know that the bagged versions show up a lot less often than the unbagged. As far as pricing goes, this issue used to sell very well unbagged. I've sold copies for nearly $40 a piece 6 or more months ago, but it seems to have cooled a little, settling in the $10-$15 range. I think this issue had the lowest print run of the ASM v.2 run.

-Chris

Excellent, this is good infrmation. I stopped collecting the title about 10 issues prior to this issue hitting newstands, so I don't remember if it was bagged or not. I know that the bagged versions show up a lot less often than the unbagged. As far as pricing goes, this issue used to sell very well unbagged. I've sold copies for nearly $40 a piece 6 or more months ago, but it seems to have cooled a little, settling in the $10-$15 range. I think this issue had the lowest print run of the ASM v.2 run.

-Chris

The rarest of the bunch as far as print run goes is ASM 25 the non foil cover book its print run was like 12,000 or so. I have no problem selling them in 9.0-9.2 to $9-12. I have yet to have a NM one and if I do I think I would have a $15 BIN or so. Its a tough find.

I dont see very many ASM 27s either, but the print run is much higher. You are right you just dont see many bagged ASM29s so I dont know if they all came that way or not. Find a newstand copy now that is a rare book never seen one myself, but since ASM 36 has one I am guessing it does too.

-Chris

The rarest of the bunch as far as print run goes is ASM 25 the non foil cover book its print run was like 12,000 or so. I have no problem selling them in 9.0-9.2 to $9-12. I have yet to have a NM one and if I do I think I would have a $15 BIN or so. Its a tough find.

I dont see very many ASM 27s either, but the print run is much higher. You are right you just dont see many bagged ASM29s so I dont know if they all came that way or not. Find a newstand copy now that is a rare book never seen one myself, but since ASM 36 has one I am guessing it does too.

29 definately has a newstand copy, here's a scan of one I sold a few months back on e-bay:

Amazing-Spiderman-29upc-web.jpg

This was the first and only time I had seen one.

-Chris

Hi guys,

I am putting together a full run of CGC Amazing Spider-Man comics. I am not modern comic collector, so I am dealing with these books for the first time. Last night an ASM v2 #29 sold for $20.00 on this site. It included its "bag and CD". I recently picked up a CGC 9.8 copy for myself, but it doesn't have a CD. I also have a bagged copy with the CD still inside. Did all copies of this issue originally come poly-bagged, or is this something special? Is it worth opening my copy to send it to CGC in hopes of getting another 9.8 (It appears to be that nice)? Or, am I wasting my time even talking about modern CGC books...as they are everywhere? Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Dave

I, too, am putting together a full CGC run of ASM. Out of curiosity, what grades are you going for?

-Chris

29 definately has a newstand copy, here's a scan of one I sold a few months back on e-bay:

Amazing-Spiderman-29upc-web.jpg

This was the first and only time I had seen one.

-Chris

Missed that issue somehow. I bought 9-40 off the newsstand.

I have 1 full shortbox of books I bought from my LVS (Local Variety Store)

I, too, am putting together a full CGC run of ASM. Out of curiosity, what grades are you going for?

1-25 in VG or better

26-100 in Fine or better (A few are a little lower)

101-200 (9.2 or better)

200-533 (9.4 or better)

I have three batches of comics at CGC right now. When they come back, I should only need about 6 comics. They are:

337, 394

Annual 20, 27, 28

Super Special #1

I have many duplicates coming from CGC. If you wish to PM me your want list, perhaps we could help each other out.

PLEASE IGNORE THE PICTURE! I HAVE NEVER ADDED ONE BEFORE AND I'M CHECKING TO SEE HOW IT WORKS.

1881580-aa007.jpg.fed64726b8e5d79ee041ed13e756d593.jpg

Did that Amazing #29 newstand get a premium above the regular one? Did you list it as such?

I listed in the body of the auction that it was newstand. I think it went for around $20, so not really a premium, as the direct editions were going for the same amount at the time.

-Chris

1-25 in VG or better

26-100 in Fine or better (A few are a little lower)

101-200 (9.2 or better)

200-533 (9.4 or better)

I have three batches of comics at CGC right now. When they come back, I should only need about 6 comics. .

Wow! Congratulations on only being 6 issues away. yay.gif

I am not quite that far along. I haven't started on 1-100 but our desired conditions match very closely. I am going for 9.6 or better on 200+. You can find many bargain 9.6s in the 200s.

I will definitely PM you with a want list sometime soon.