• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man#55

21 posts in this topic

A good friend of mine just payed $80 for a VF copy of Iron Man#55... Raw! Wow! This is not uncommon it seems, I have seen a few of these in the past few months in lower graders go for well above guide somtimes double guide for Fine copies at shows and through private deals. Is there some kind'a resurgence going on with this issue, i know it's a good key, but these prices are getting pretty high for raw copies... I know that it was a quarter bin comic until it hit the big time in the early nineties and higher grade copies are few and far between, But I thought it cooled down to nothing... Whats the deal, is this issue one damned hard issue to find?

He got rooked, as I bid around $85 for two CGC 9.0 copies and lost out to a single bidder each time. It's not that hot in less-than CGC 9.4 or so (where it skyrockets) as the book is not rare by any stretch, only the ultra-clean high grade ones. I've got a few copies and paid $5 for a VF and $25 for a VF/NM a few months back.

Here's the link to one CGC 9.0 auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=720948596

I think $350 for a 9.4 is still way too much, but $85 for a CGC 9.0 is about where it belongs.

.......i agree that it is only in very high grade where this book is rare (and pricey)........i have had several copies over the years, the last copy i bought was about 6 months ago in VF for $6.............its not hard to find in VF for a good price............ grin.gif

Yep, those Marvel marketing guys are geniuses! I heard "Infinity: The Movie Gauntlet" will be released yearly...pending cancellation due to the fact that you can't just watch a single movie to get the story, you have to see all the movies, and all the character crossovers in the X-men, DD, Hulk, Captain Marvel, and Dazzler: The Movie movies too... grin.gif

Now I like Thanos appearances, but doesn't it surprise anyone else that his first app. in Iron Man 55 is still bringing in the big bucks? To me it's pretty bizarre, and it makes me wonder if there's some sort of "price permanency" that's snuck in since CGC?

Does anyone remember prices of Amazing Spider-man 129 before CGC? At times you couldn't give that book away in mid-grade, and the same for other Bronze Keys.

This is something I must ponder........

Does anyone remember prices of Amazing Spider-man 129 before CGC?

And Hulk 181, and Byrne X-men, and just about every other bronze key. The raw market heated up right along with the CGC market, and I do believe that all those books jumped up big in the last price guide, in part due to CGC, so the "permanancy" probably has something to due with the "legitimacy" the prices got from Ostreet.

Ohhhhhh! When is the Dazzler movie scheduled for release? I haven't heard of this...is it a big-budget Hollywood movie or a limited release, arthouse indy-flick? Eagerly awaiting any info anyone has on this! grin.gif

Chris

P.S. Sorry about my lame posts lately....just trying to break that 200 posts barrier....Watch out Brian! I'm gaining on you man!

I don't understand this book at all, its common in high grades BIG TIME and its long term value is most likely hit its plateau. We have a 9.4 and 9.2 and have traded about 15 or so in that range over the last year. Iron man# 55 is a "market" book as i like to say, driven by retailers and speculators nothing more.

In my opinion that is smirk.gif

The raw market jumped because of the ridiculous CGC market. I have mentioned before that I bought a Marvel Premiere 15 on Ebay (raw) for $12. Add on the $30 bucks or so for CGC and the book cost me about 40 bucks. It came back a 9.4 which means I can unload it for 5 to 8 times what it cost me or more. If the movie ever happens, I can only imagine. People are buying bronze keys in good shape more than ever because they know that if they get lucky and get a book in 9.4 or above they can make a killing. You can still get ungraded NM books at guide prices, but the days of getting them at 50% of guide are numbered. I used to buy bronze stuff in the 9.6 range at 50% all the time at shows and local shops, but now anything that looks better than 8.0 is being sold at book price, or being shipped to CGC.