• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geppi's $1,000,000 reward for NM Action #1 (2003)

55 posts in this topic

Metro did sell a 4.5 ungraded unrestored Tec 1 to a board member for around 30k 2 or 3 years ago. So add in time appreciation, a jump from 4.5 to 6.0 and than the book being certified by cgc as unrestored 6.0 , I think im right there with 75k and maybe more.

I'm curious...how does a book jump from 4.5 to 6.0 unrestored. I wouldn't think that Metro would miss something like that, or maybe I've misunderstood. Is it changing grading standards, or was the book improves without restoration?

Metro did sell a 4.5 ungraded unrestored Tec 1 to a board member for around 30k 2 or 3 years ago. So add in time appreciation, a jump from 4.5 to 6.0 and than the book being certified by cgc as unrestored 6.0 , I think im right there with 75k and maybe more.

I'm curious...how does a book jump from 4.5 to 6.0 unrestored. I wouldn't think that Metro would miss something like that, or maybe I've misunderstood. Is it changing grading standards, or was the book improves without restoration?

I believe the non cgc 4.5 at $30K sold by Metro a few years ago was being used as an illustration to support that today a 6.0 that was cgc unrestored could suprass $75K...that particular 4.5 did NOT become a 6.0...

just to help clarify

gator

I believe the non cgc 4.5 at $30K sold by Metro a few years ago was being used as an illustration to support that today a 6.0 that was cgc unrestored could suprass $75K...that particular 4.5 did NOT become a 6.0...

just to help clarify

gator

My bad...thank's for the clarification.

75K TO 100K. Alot of Goldenage collectors have a PASSION for this book[im one of them. The bidding would be very passionate. Its scarce in any condition.Its very scarce and I mean very scarce in unrestored condition and it is outright Gerber 10 in 6.0 and up unrestored condition, and alot of us know this.This book would sell at quite a few multiples.

You really think so? Didn't the Lost Valley copy, which I believe is a blue label 6.5, sell for $47K within the last three years? I heard Geppi bought it, am I off here? I don't think that I am if my memory serves me correctly. That would be quite a return on your money and jump in price.

This is certainly interesting to know!! gossip.gif

According to my copy of the original sales catalogue from Al Stolz, the Lost Valley copy of Detective #1 was graded at 6.0 and was listed for sale at $40K.

Wonder if this was a straight resubmission or was something else done to the book to get it up to the 6.5 grade leve?. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

75K TO 100K. Alot of Goldenage collectors have a PASSION for this book[im one of them. The bidding would be very passionate. Its scarce in any condition.Its very scarce and I mean very scarce in unrestored condition and it is outright Gerber 10 in 6.0 and up unrestored condition, and alot of us know this.This book would sell at quite a few multiples.

You really think so? Didn't the Lost Valley copy, which I believe is a blue label 6.5, sell for $47K within the last three years? I heard Geppi bought it, am I off here? I don't think that I am if my memory serves me correctly. That would be quite a return on your money and jump in price.

According to my copy of the original sales catalogue from Al Stolz, the Lost Valley copy of Detective #1 was graded at 6.0 and was listed for sale at $40K.

Wonder if this was a straight resubmission or was something else done to the book to get it up to the 6.5 grade leve?. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the Lost Valley is still 6.0...the 6.5 is a different copy (SL owns?)....and S/Metro sold a VF+ a few months ago...man, Tec 1's are just coming out of the woodworks!

rick

the Lost Valley is still 6.0...the 6.5 is a different copy (SL owns?)....and S/Metro sold a VF+ a few months ago...man, Tec 1's are just coming out of the woodworks!

rick

Now I am starting to get a little lost here! confused.gif

According to the CGC census, there are only 3 unrestored copies of 'Tec 1 around the Fine range. One of them is graded as 5.5, the second as 6.0, and the third as 6.5. Now, if both Kramer's former copy and the Lost valley copy are 6.0's, then why is there only one copy listed at 6.0 in the CGC census?

Is it possible that Kramer's former copy is still ungraded and the 6.0 is only based upon a best guess? I find this highly doubtful if Steve Lauterbach was the purchaser since he appears to be the type that likes to have all of his big books graded.

Wouldn't mind a little more clarification here if anybody knows. thumbsup2.gif

I am working with 2 different sources here....speaking with Josh N yesterday via email, the 6.0 is the LV copy, graded by CGC. From a second friend I was talking to last night, it is thought (that is why I put the "?") SL owns the cgc 6.5 graded copy, highest on the census. Now, Josh also knows the owner of the 6.5 book, because we were discussing it yesterday when I mentioned that Metro Steve had reported a VF+ sale, here on the boards, but he never identified the owner.

So, exptrapolating: SL bought a lot of DK books right? (All Stars come to mind)...so, and I will try to confirm today, maybe DK's copy was the previously ungraded "fine" that was graded 6.5 and in the possession of SL?

again, I don't claim to know, just thinking outloud here

gator

I misspoke on the LV being 6.5, it is a 6.0. My memory failed me a bit on that one. But I do recall it being listed on Clink and scooped up for $47K or so pretty quickly. And I heard Geppi was the eventual steward of this book, can't personally confirm it though.

So, exptrapolating: SL bought a lot of DK books right? (All Stars come to mind)...so, and I will try to confirm today, maybe DK's copy was the previously ungraded "fine" that was graded 6.5 and in the possession of SL?

again, I don't claim to know, just thinking outloud here

gator

Thanks for trying to clear this up! thumbsup2.gif

Makes a little more sense now. The 6.5 actually lines up with what the book was expected to grade out at back in the mid 90's. Probably would have graded a shade higher if it did not have that small piece of scotch tape on the interior cover.

It would be interesting to see what an unrestored 6.5 would be worth in today's market, considering that it would still be the highest graded copy? Anybody know the price details behind Metro's sale of the VF+ copy?

Now that would be really interesting to know!!!

So the Lost Valley book is now a 6.5? When I saw it, a few years back in B'more, it was definitely a 6.0. I think there's a pic somewhere of me holding it. It was a 6.0 and, apart from the fact that it was a Tec #1, rather underwhelming to me. 893whatthe.gif

Geppi's $1 million reward is for a copy of Action Comics #1 that grades at least 9.4 (near mint condition) on the CGC grading scale.

Reminds me of the legendary coin dealer B. Max Mehl, who used to promote himself and his business by advertising that he'd pay a huge sum of money for a 1913 Liberty Head nickel, all the while knowing that only five were ever minted, and they were all accounted for.