• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Ultimates" getting rebooted with new issue #1

46 posts in this topic

Not me. Either Joe Q has power or he doesn't. You can't give him kudos for things you like, while rendering him impotent on those you don't.

I'm not saying that he isn't responsible for these relaunches. He does have the power and it is probably ultimately his decision. I am just pointing out that he's done a lot of great work as well, and that is why I don't come down as hard on recent Marvel management as many others. If you want to criticize him for his bad moves, I say give him some credit for the good ones too.

I think Joe Q really had a big hand in turning around Marvel from the old days of gimmick covers and the Spider-Clone Saga. That was the low point in Marvel's history as far as I'm concerned. Marvel's been putting out some quality books the last few years, so I guess that's why I'm a bit more forgiving on the tacky relaunches.

I'm not saying that he isn't responsible for these relaunches. He does have the power and it is probably ultimately his decision.

Please read this statement, and then go back and re-read your original post. Like night and day there buck.

i liked runaways, but i just dropped it, because it felt too padded. I was buying eternal, but that got axed. That was a great read, the only marvel book that actually felt like a Vertigo. My new book purchases are down from about 18 a month to about 5. frown.gif

Still buying Y, Ultimate spidey, hellblazer, fables & the occasional thing that catches my eye.

Say it ain't so, Bones! Too padded?? The first 5(?) issues have been a perfect set-up! It's been personal discovery, action, intrigue, and cliffhangers galore!

I don't know, I'm just really excited about where this book could go. I mean, the kids have to go SOMEWHERE after this "falling-out" with their parents (and if you haven't read this book, the first issue is AWESOME!)... yeah, I'm just very, very excited to see where Vaughan takes this book. Big things are a'comin', but cut a fella some slack! He's got a GREAT premise, but it would be truly lame if all of a sudden all these kids simply woke up to find themselves inside a spaceship and then they found space suits that gave them superpowers and their last name was "Power"........ ewwwwww.

I'm not saying that he isn't responsible for these relaunches. He does have the power and it is probably ultimately his decision.

Please read this statement, and then go back and re-read your original post. Like night and day there buck.

I don't see one thing that is contradictory between the two posts. What are you referring to?

Here's a refresher:

"I just get the feeling that Joe Q is trying to fight the "good fight" to an extent, but he's just losing the battle.."

"I have a feeling that Joe Quesada hated the renumbering of the "classic" titles as much as we do..."

"but I have to cut Joe Q's Marvel a little slack..."

"You can't blame him for the folly of past Marvel managment.."

Many of these comments have a "Joe is doing all he can" theme to them, while you just stated that "it's ultimately his decision".

So if you don't like the Ultimates relaunch, Joe signed off on it. Same with not moving back to the old numbers, Joe could do so if he wanted. Same with every other decision Marvel has made, good or bad; Joe is the man in charge and must take the both the flowers and the brickbats.

Well Joe Q is not the "King" of Marvel, he's the EIC, so he can't just change anything he wants without respect to the wishes of higher management. Of course most decisions are ultimately his, but he is certainly pressured from his bosses on many issues.

As far as the numbering of the Marvel titles, that was done before his watch began and it is clear that he is trying to move back to the older numbering in the most gracious, least confusing way that he can. FF #500 is the first of these. The double numbering is awkward, but at least it was a first step in the right direction. My main point was that Joe Q done much more good that bad at Marvel which is why the Ultimates relaunch doesn't bother me as much as it apparently does other people here.