• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Adventure Comics 360 - Ebay purchase - am I too picky?

8 posts in this topic

So, I decided to take a chance this week and buy something off Ebay that was from a non board member in about 2 years. Maybe I'm being too picky, but does this look like a solid Fine condition book to you guys? The back is a little dirtier than it looks from the scan. Also, there is a non color breaking crease that starts up around where it says "Starring..." and ends at the shadow of Superboy's left foot. To me a large crease like that, even non color breaking, brings the grade down a bit.

360front.jpg

360back.jpg

Thanks for your opinions.

You're not being too picky. I'd peg it at 4.0, based on your description of a long crease (not visible). Plus that upper left corner almost looks like it's been smashed. And the book generally looks dingy, with color loss evident in several places along the edges (for example, at the top of the front).

Thanks for the couple replies so far. The first thing my wife said after I bought them (I got 5 other books in addition to this one) was, "I thought you said you were only buying from board members." She was right. I have been faithful to these boards for a couple years now and will never stray again. I'm going to see if I can get my money back. I'll probably have to just chalk it up as a loss.

Thanks again.

Definitely no better than 4.0/4.5...the ULC crunch alone would drop it out of Fine. Sorry, mate...

Agreed and much appreciated Point Five.

I was only buying them to read, but still I felt like they were all about 1 1/2 to 2 grades lower than advertised. One book listed as F/VF has a 1/4" chip missing right under the top staple along with an accumulation of other defects. Not surprising for Ebay. I didn't see any of these defects in the scans, but they were on the small side (I should know better).

My wife was really ticked at me for buying these in the first place, because after my first couple transactions on the boards, I said I'd never buy another book on Ebay. This is absolutely the last time.

Good thing is, I e-mailed the guy and after a couple rounds of e-mails, he has reluctantly agreed to refund the price of the books but not shipping. I figured he wouldn't cover shipping. No biggie, I'll send the books back tomorrow and move on.

No problem!...glad it worked out. thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I still find ebay to be worth the gamble (and in fact, only hours ago I was emailing a dealer myself about a few problematic books that I received). Probably 80% of my GA collection came from ebay. I would love nothing more than to always buy from board members, but the books I collect simply aren't available here on a regular basis, if ever. Sometimes you takes your chances... crazy.gif

Of the 10 books I received this week via Ebay purchases, I returned 4 of them because the grades were WAY out of line.

And of the other 6, I'd say 3 were still graded too highly, but I got such a good deal on them it was still worth keeping them.