• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color touch? Other "restoration"?

4 posts in this topic

All I can tell you is this: That seller is top-notch. I have bought multiple books from him, including a Zip Comics #10 that he personally graded a VG 4.0 with cream to off-white paper.

3 other folks agreed at CGC, and graded it exactly that. VG 4.0 with cr/ow paper.

He packs well, and communicates well, and I'm pretty sure you could return something to him if you think it's had work done to it.

Shoot microbia an email, I'm sure he'll give you his honest opinion.

Any opinions on the upper left corner of this book? The black line looks smeared to me. I need the expertise of you board members on this one.

Seven Seas 3

I made one purchase from Microbia that went just fine. HOWEVER, I would definitely shoot an email about the top left. Not only the black line but the slightly smudged "smearing" effect in the reds in that corner. I am always reluctant to guess restoration from a scan, but in this case it certainly is worth writing about.

All of the cover gloss is completely gone from the surface of this book. Were Seven Seas issues printed with paper stock covers?

By evidence of the scan, it appears that:

Cover wet-cleaned and pressed (very grainy reds and blues, absence of any surface sheen).

Black spine line retouched at the top (obvious) and the upper left corner cover area (about 1 to 1.5 inches) had at one time separated from the paper of the spine.

Staples cleaned or new staples (stainless steel?). Do not appear to be ca. 1946/7 staples commonly used in production. May have possible internal reinforcement on paper at bottom staple.

Possible sealed tear on spine's edge, bottom left, of approx. 1/2 to 1 inch, or may just be preventive glue.

Now, since I've made these observations, this would be an EXCELLENT book to buy and send to CGC for the UN-kiss of death that I've just bestowed on it by divulging what was done to it. Whether right or wrong, SB will slab this book Blue top 9.8. There's no way that he could possibly accept or admit my being correct on all counts or his brain would burst right through his ear-drum. 893frustrated.gif

makepoint.gif27_laughing.gif