• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art you regret selling....

64 posts in this topic

I normally dont get upset if I overpay for a piece. Often my purchases are done privately so I have some time to reflect on my purchase price. Auctions have the ability to get buyers into emotional feeding-frenzy bidding. I thought I overpaid when I purchased my Wood Weird Science cover through Heritage a few years back. Over time, I realized it was a smart pickup.

Yeah, I understand what your'e saying, Trent. I guess it's just that the idea of price is a very liquid notion in OA. I hear alot of :so and so is overpriced", but people still buy the stuff so is it over priced? The market's kinda all over the place. But I do agree that if you do enough research you can make a pretty good guess as to the FMV...if there is such a thing in OA hehe.

I normally dont get upset if I overpay for a piece. Often my purchases are done privately so I have some time to reflect on my purchase price. Auctions have the ability to get buyers into emotional feeding-frenzy bidding. I thought I overpaid when I purchased my Wood Weird Science cover through Heritage a few years back. Over time, I realized it was a smart pickup.

It's really hard to say if you truly "overpayed"....it's a one of a kind item and being that you may have to pay more than you want, it's really the true price. Otherwise you don't get it. I know that people won't part with something, will swear up and down that it's a "grail" and won't leave their collection.....only to throw out "well, make me an offer".....everything has a price.

I tend to look at buying art more like what is my comfort level. Do I feel okay with spending XYZ dollars for this particular piece ? It's a personal thing and everyone's comfort zone is different. I may spend 5k for a cover and be fine with it, and someone else might be like 893whatthe.gif - but then this person might turn around and buy a 5k piece that I wouldn't spend 500 bucks for and they might feel it was a "steal"....It's all relative....

Yeah, I understand what your'e saying, Trent. I guess it's just that the idea of price is a very liquid notion in OA. I hear alot of :so and so is overpriced", but people still buy the stuff so is it over priced? The market's kinda all over the place. But I do agree that if you do enough research you can make a pretty good guess as to the FMV...if there is such a thing in OA hehe.

IMHO the market is all over the place because each piece of OA is unique.

I myself try not to get attached to a particular page, so that I don't overpay. For example, if I want a Perez Avengers page, one action panel page is the same as another. However, others may be attached to a particular page for whatever reason (found it funny, read it when he broke up with his gf, whatever) thats why sometimes one panel page (or splash) is priced totally different from another even though its the same artists/series/storyline.

That being said, there are specific pieces of OA that I was suckered into emotionally attaching myself. Those I have tend to "overpay" which is a relative term. I probably paid more than anyone else out there was willing, and I probably can't get what I paid for it if I had to sell, but due to the emotional attachment, I have no problems paying that price.

Malvin

Wally Wood WEIRD SCIENCE cover, you say, sir?

Only 13 of those exist. hail.gif

That's, uhm, 10 less than the 23 Romita Snr Large Art ASM covers - right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Those Woody covers have got to be worth at least $250,000 each, eh? grin.gif

Smart buy, Spider! thumbsup2.gif

I don't have scans, but here are just a couple.

The last page to Swamp Thing 53, the double sized Batman crossover. All Totleben. Full page splash of Batman holding Abby. Bought directly from Totleben in 1987, sold on eBay in 2002/3 (don't remember). I would imagine the price is now at least 10X what I sold it for.

The four pages of Adams Deadman art from Justice League of America 94. Sold them in college in 1983

At least 15, maybe 20, Byrne X-Men pages from the 115-135 range. Sold them also in college from 1982-1986.

The cover to Marvel Team Up 69 (the ASM-Havoc team up) by Byrne. Sold it to a friend of mine (who I think still has it) in 1979.

Selling the double page splash from X-Men Annual 3 (Perez) in 1981. Board member Odin still has it. Ouch.

Selling a page from Giant-Size X-Men 1 for $100 in 1981 to pay for prom tickets (although there was a "happy ending" ).

Although its easy to have art regrets now as the market has exploded. I was happy to get what I sold the Swamp Thing page for then.

Ron Jeremy (oh, I mean donut) -

I wish I had known you when you were selling all this stuff. We could have been best friends! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Do you have a CAF now? Because if that's the stuff you sold, I absolutely have to see what you held onto. . . .

- A

Overpaid is really a matter of opinion with OA....at least in my opinion! 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, each piece is one of a kind, but how many similar items by the same artist exist? Bob Kane (I know, I keep using him as my example) must have done thousands of Batman sketches. There's one on eBay practically every day. The ones that bring a premium though are the remarks on prints/lithos (guaranteed authentic) and nicer (full body) or larger pieces. We won't get into fakes on this one.

John Romita Sr. comes to mind as well. I'm told (I can't verify) that he did the famous Spidey sense/Peter Parker drawing for free for years. He apparently doesn't do them for free anymore, but not at all? I don't know. I looked high and low for one before "overpaying" on eBay....$200 for a framed pencil sketch. By the standard, I know I overpaid, but it put an end to a loooooooonnnnngggggg search for me. I'd pay it again if I was still looking.

I forget what I paid for my Wrightson Swamp Thing head sketch in marker/Sharpie. Again, it was a grail piece for me and I had the cash on hand. I may be off my rocker, but I'm thinking it was around $175 about three years ago. For a marker sketch! Just sitting here, I think I must have been high, but when I look at it....... cloud9.gif

My recent "steal" was David Lapham's first page of Plasm from the card set or issue #0, however you look at it. $180 and change. I think that's a cheap one, so it all balances out in the end.

Ultimately, there is no price guide for this stuff and unless you watch eBay and other dealers' sites, you're not going to know what to even expect to pay. Being as they're one of a kind, though, I'd say what you're willing to pay is a good guideline.

If I were Bill Gates, I'd easily lay out a literal fortune for a Ditko Spidey, but I'm a public servant, so I'll just watch them move across the internet and sigh.....

and occassionally sob

I wish I had known you when you were selling all this stuff. We could have been best friends! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Do you have a CAF now? Because if that's the stuff you sold, I absolutely have to see what you held onto. . . .

- A

I have very little art now. I just sold three Perez FF pages to drummy. I've got a couple of them left, a couple of Oeming Powers pages, and an Ingels Haunt of Fear page. There are a couple of covers I'm eyeing, but the prices are just INSANE. Remember too, that the art market has gone nuts in maybe the past 5-8 years. End of the 90s, art was all but dead.

A friend of mine bought up lots of art at the end of the 70s when we were still in high school, and I'm pretty sure he still has a lot of it. It was really cheap - $40 for covers, that sort of thing. I know he had several Byrne Marvel Team Up covers and a bunch of Byrne X-Men pages. I suppose I should call him again. thumbsup2.gif

I had to...back in the mid 90's sorry.gif

Judge-Dredd8.jpgsorry.gif

Hey Fred

Certainly one of my fave Dredd covers. Hadn't realised you'd been a custodian and its sad you had to let it go. I'm still looking for a FF 57 page tho blush.gif)

I've had to settle for the prelim since I doubt its moving any time soon - at least not in my direction.

Joseph

Sometimes when you overpay for something,you may have "overpaid" now,but fast forward 5 years from now and then ask yourself if you "overpaid"...chances are,depending on what you bought,you didn't. When I buy something,I try to see what they go for,what the market value is and then deceide weather 1) do I have or can I get the $$? 2) what's the long term potential of said piece? 3) Is it 'overexposed"? and 4) Did I get the best example of a certain character by this artist, within my budget? The KJ page on heritage I'd buy in a second...here's my $25K..gimme me! gimme me! gimme me! But since it's a high profile auction,After I won the piece I wouldn't show it off to every man,woman and child (unlike my other half) hence,the "overexposed" piece. But it is a killer page by a high profile artist and gives some great examples of the joker and batman.It's certianly worth 'overpaying" for now,cause it'll be a steal 20 years from now,as long as it doesn't see the light of day for a long time which spider9869 pointed out.

You should call him! He may be sitting on an unknown fortune!! 893whatthe.gif

- A

I have very little art now. I just sold three Perez FF pages to drummy. I've got a couple of them left, a couple of Oeming Powers pages, and an Ingels Haunt of Fear page. There are a couple of covers I'm eyeing, but the prices are just INSANE. Remember too, that the art market has gone nuts in maybe the past 5-8 years. End of the 90s, art was all but dead.

A friend of mine bought up lots of art at the end of the 70s when we were still in high school, and I'm pretty sure he still has a lot of it. It was really cheap - $40 for covers, that sort of thing. I know he had several Byrne Marvel Team Up covers and a bunch of Byrne X-Men pages. I suppose I should call him again. thumbsup2.gif

Posters,

First, this is a great thread. I have been away for a while, and I have not had time to post lately. Therefore, I wanted to share a couple of thoughts (with no scans).

Second, to FlyingDonut, is Steve Donnelly your friend? I write this in reference to your first post on this thread:

"The cover to Marvel Team Up 69 (the ASM-Havoc team up) by Byrne. Sold it to a friend of mine (who I think still has it) in 1979."

If so, then he has this cover for sale for a mere $25,000. You may want to call him. However, I think that it was Cockrum pencils and not Byrne pencils for this cover. The interior is all Byrne/Hunt.

Finally, I have no scan of this art because it was during my pre-technology days, but my stomach churns thinking why did I sell this page. It was Dave Cockrum's X-Men 99, page 30 original art. It had the entire team featured as they prepared to battle Dr. Lang's new age sentinels. I sold it in 1997 to cover my costs to the San Diego Comic Con.confused.gif I did not really need to do it, but Brad Johnson offered me US$360.00 for the page at Mid-Ohio. I then found out later that he sold/traded it to Mankuta. Where this page resides now I have no idea. I will follow up in a later thread with other art that I traded/sold. makepoint.gif

Ciao!

PRC

Sometimes when you overpay for something,you may have "overpaid" now,but fast forward 5 years from now and then ask yourself if you "overpaid"...chances are,depending on what you bought,you didn't. When I buy something,I try to see what they go for,what the market value is and then deceide weather 1) do I have or can I get the $$? 2) what's the long term potential of said piece? 3) Is it 'overexposed"? and 4) Did I get the best example of a certain character by this artist, within my budget? The KJ page on heritage I'd buy in a second...here's my $25K..gimme me! gimme me! gimme me! But since it's a high profile auction,After I won the piece I wouldn't show it off to every man,woman and child (unlike my other half) hence,the "overexposed" piece. But it is a killer page by a high profile artist and gives some great examples of the joker and batman.It's certianly worth 'overpaying" for now,cause it'll be a steal 20 years from now,as long as it doesn't see the light of day for a long time which spider9869 pointed out.

High-quality, rare, and coveted pieces will always go up in price. I don't care how visible it is. The only real kiss-of-death is when a piece is on the market (ebay, auction house, dealer website) repeatedly without any takers. But, in those cases, it just probably wasn't as high-quality, rare and coveted as people thought.

"The cover to Marvel Team Up 69 (the ASM-Havoc team up) by Byrne. Sold it to a friend of mine (who I think still has it) in 1979."

If so, then he has this cover for sale for a mere $25,000. You may want to call him. However, I think that it was Cockrum pencils and not Byrne pencils for this cover. The interior is all Byrne/Hunt.

I guess Mark sold it then! foreheadslap.gif I won't tell him how much it sells for now. 27_laughing.gif

Actually Phil, the last page to X-men # 99 is in a private collection out of the country, the page Brad traded to me was the splash page to X-men #100 (same image though...new X-men face-off against old X-men), and I sold that 2 years ago or so...

JONATHAN (yeah, there's art I regret selling too...) MANKUTA