• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?

Do you think that Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?

181 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Seeing as we are all trying to figure out which book is the next Hulk #181, I was wondering what the consensus is regarding its current value. Looking at how many high grade copies have been submitted and graded, do you feel that at the current prices it is overvalued?

Have a great weekend!

Just in case you need it, here is the current census info:

Mint 9.9 1 0 0 0 1

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 5 0 0 0 5

Near Mint + 9.6 54 0 0 1 55

Near Mint 9.4 112 1 0 7 120

Near Mint - 9.2 152 2 0 10 164

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 155 2 0 20 177

Just in case you need it, here is the current census info:

Holy 893censored-thumb.gif!!! I didn't notice that there are now FIVE 9.8s in the Census. Jeez, pretty soon there'll be enough for everybody! tongue.gif

Gene

Yes, I believe the book is long overdue for a price drop

For those interested in current prices........

(9.8) - $19,067.89     -  

(9.6) (9) $3,983.44 5,049/3,051  

(9.4) (37) $2,168.15 3,262/1,550  

SA (9.4) - $743.00     -  

(9.2) (65) $1,252.58 1,725/810  

(9.0) (48) $997.91 1,300/800  

I think what's astounding is 54 9.6s and 112 9.4s... since I'm not a nut about the condition... that seems like a ton of high grade copies for one book, to be commanding such high figures... but obviously there's more than 200 wolvie fans, so I guess it's all in relativity to who can pay for it...

how many more raw copies in high grade exist of this book? any guesses?

I have had the same discussion on a couple of other boards and the consensus is that there are a ton of them out there in 9.4 or better condition. Over the past year or so I have seen at least four 9.6 copies (one of which was submitted and came back 9.6) at local shows, and Alberta, Canada is a very small place. In addition, a collector friend told me that he picked up his copy in the early 80s on the advice of a long time comic store owner who had hoarded them when they originally came out. At the time my friend paid $40 each for a NM Hulk #181 and NM X-Men #94 from the store, and is kicking himself now that he did not pick up more copies!

What's the significance of this issue? First I've heard of it.

I have no idea...I think it's a pretty 893censored-thumb.gif book myself, but this Bruce guy seems to think it could be worth something. tongue.gif

Gene

Judging from the steadily growing census, its clear there are probably quite a few 9.4 copies out there. Even in 9.6, there are more than I thought there would be at this point if you asked me a couple years back.

I feel (5) 9.8's (even though the number has grown by -3- in the last year, year and a half) its still pretty low considering the number of HG submissions and the fact it's a late '74 (almost '75) issue.

The real question here is "supply and demand" related... "Is there enough 9.4 or better copies available and heading for certification to satisfy the rather enormous Wolverine (and to a lesser extent Hulk) fan base that may want one?"

If you feel that Supply will catch up with Demand at some point... the value should adjust downwards somewhat (although I doubt it would move drastically even if it happens, IMHO).

If you feel that Demand will stay ahead of Supply or increase, the value should at least maintain at worst, or increase (although not by leaps and bounds at this point IMHO) even if the gap widens.

It's a tough call because regardless of how many might be out there, we just don't know how many are "heading to CGC", nor how many of the considerable Wolverine fan base will be able to, or will be compelled to pay the price to have a copy. We also can't predict the number of CGC collectors that will enter or leave the hobby... or the effects of X3 or the solo Wolverie movie...or how many people actually cut the Marvel Value Stamps out?... and a bunch of other variables.

With no disrespect to any participating in this thread, one thing i will say, is I agree with Andrew "CaptainsOfIndustry" that the "supply" of threads revolving around any Hulk 181 topic is quickly outweighing "demand" for them on this particular messageboard anyway. Most have been discussed several times and can be found with a search. Heck, I even started the longest one.

I love the book! Hulk 180-181-182 is my favorte mini-run of all time, but even I'm tired of talking about it or seeing a thread about it... but its a free world.

Check out this link... Thread on all the Hulk 181 threads

no offense kimik

[quoteHoly 893censored-thumb.gif!!! I didn't notice that there are now FIVE 9.8s in the Census. Jeez, pretty soon there'll be enough for everybody!

This pattern suggests that the rumors may be true; there are some serious Hulk 181 hoardes out there, and these are slowly leaking into the CGC market, but not in a lump amount that would send off alarm bells.

The fact that stacks of HG copies exist is no secret, but it's pretty apparent that these are now a factor, and that copies are consistently siphoned off towards a CGC graded sale. Over the next few years, I expect the census numbers to continue growing.

I'll say this one more time: The only 1970's and above Key issue I have NEVER seen in mass quantities is Iron Man 55, which is due to the incredible length of time between publication and key-issue identification.

I'll say this one more time: The only 1970's and above Key issue I have NEVER seen in mass quantities is Iron Man 55, which is due to the incredible length of time between publication and key-issue identification.

Sigh...my only serious blow to my legendary status. Sold my 9.6 or better copy raw in the late 90s when the book died down from the heights of the Infinity Gauntlet push! confused-smiley-013.gif

Sigh...my only serious blow to my legendary status. Sold my 9.6 or better copy raw in the late 90s when the book died down from the heights of the Infinity Gauntlet push! confused-smiley-013.gif

The only thing worse is that I wasn't there to buy it.

And speaking of sending more money your way, still waiting on a PM.... Hmmmmmm

The only thing worse is that I wasn't there to buy it.

And speaking of sending more money your way, still waiting on a PM.... Hmmmmmm

Relax...have to eat! tongue.gif