• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?

Do you think that Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Hulk #181 is currently overvalued?

181 posts in this topic

I haven't seen any evidence from my critics that they are capable of much original, critical and/or analytical thought. In fact, the higher the reading on the "Anti-Gene Hostile React-o-Meter", the more I'm convinced that I'm right.

Your confidence is betrayed by the hostility and arrogance of this response. 27_laughing.gif At the rate your predictions are going over time, your accolades will come post-mortem, if at all.

I've even been told by a couple of Board members, who don't always agree with me, that at least they respect the intellectual integrity of my viewpoint.

Pencil me into this group. And, I've enjoyed your 'me' page as well, despite our diametrically opposite viewpoints.

Your confidence is betrayed by the hostility and arrogance of this response. 27_laughing.gif At the rate your predictions are going, your accolades will come post-partum, if at all.

Post partum? I wasn't aware that Gene was pregnant.

I don't "think" even Vince was suggesting that level of manipulation or conspiracy.

I got the impression he meant that CGC is intentionally limiting the numbers of the "highest attainable grade" (9.8) to get through the door. Such as... not giving some deserved 9.8's the grade because they feel there are too many of them and that by doing so the rest of the gradeds below may be affected even at their true numbers and thus submissions would fall.

A crock of 893censored-thumb.gif.

CGCs integrity and the patronage that follows would be destroyed by any hint of such actions.

They'd be gone faster than you can say 'Milli Vanilli'.

...well his bank account must be from his recent killings in the stock market

How else could he rationalize the possible purchase of his $6-7K "holy grail" comic that he knows will crash and burn?.. has to be from "found money" / "disposable income"

27_laughing.gif

stooges.gif <---- make note GP

I don't "think" even Vince was suggesting that level of manipulation or conspiracy.

I got the impression he meant that CGC is intentionally limiting the numbers of the "highest attainable grade" (9.8) to get through the door. Such as... not giving some deserved 9.8's the grade because they feel there are too many of them and that by doing so the rest of the graded below may be affected even at their true numbers and thus submissions would fall.

A crock of 893censored-thumb.gif.

CGCs integrity and the patronage that follows would be destroyed by any hint of such actions.

They'd be gone faster than you can say 'Milli Vanilli'.

Good Point... I'd have to agree. Keep in mind that was my "impression" of Vince's post... I'm not clear if that is what he's suggesting exactly or not to be fair.

Seems to me that CGC (or any grading co.) could come up with several better, legitimate ideas to create more business before even having to consider the dark side...

goodevil.gif

Your confidence is betrayed by the hostility and arrogance of this response. At the rate your predictions are going over time, your accolades will come post-mortem, if at all.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Sorry if you guys were taken aback by the bold text...I did it not to be forceful, but rather to make it easier to read - go check out a typical article on TheStreet.com, for example...they boldface/hyperlink words just to breakup the monotony of the text (or at least they used to).

My predictions are doing just fine, by the way...I never said the decline would be imminent (in fact, the Bronze/Modern market tanked much ahead of when I thought it would). 893frustrated.gif

Gene

Here allow me to sum it up for the crash theorists. "Sometime down the road, prices are going to go down. If they don't go down soon, it's too soon for them to go down. If they finally go down 3 years from now, I told you so"

Guess we'll have to keep waiting.. I can't wait to fill out some more ASM books. *rubs hands together eagerly* (they really need to make a smiley that does that..

Brian

All I know is that I am glad I wasn't the one who paid 19K+ for the 9.8 on Ebay. Kind of reminds me of Todd McFarlane paying 3 million for McGuire's 70th Homerun ball and then getting Bond's 73rd cheap for about 450k. I don't expect a decline in prices of the 9.6s and below, but I do expect them to stabilize for the foreseeable future. I would think the 9.8s would come down in price several thousand.

That's only partially fair...for each one of my posts on the market (the number of which is but a tiny fraction of what I used to write in the past), there are 20-odd posts on "Is Hulk #181 a good investment", "What S.A. books can I buy now for big profits", "Did I get a good deal at $7K on my X-Men #94", "Should I invest in USM #1 white cover", etc.

Half the problem is that people(usually newbies, or less active board members) bring up these topics that have been discussed to death. But instead of giving them links to where these topics have been discussed before, the same players cannot resist coming out to play(we all do it, myself included). I like the fact that there are a lot of vocal and intelligent posters on this board, and I like participating as well, but I don't like the fact that we seem relegated to talk about the same stuff over and over. Anyone who's a regular here knows prety much what the other prominent members are going to say, before they say it.

I can't believe that a day or 2 after I started this thread another one entitled "Do you think Hulk 181 is currently overvalued" gets fired up, and discussed intensely. 893frustrated.gif

That's only partially fair...for each one of my posts on the market (the number of which is but a tiny fraction of what I used to write in the past), there are 20-odd posts on "Is Hulk #181 a good investment", "What S.A. books can I buy now for big profits", "Did I get a good deal at $7K on my X-Men #94", "Should I invest in USM #1 white cover", etc.

Half the problem is that people(usually newbies, or less active board members) bring up these topics that have been discussed to death. But instead of giving them links to where these topics have been discussed before, the same players cannot resist coming out to play(we all do it, myself included). I like the fact that there are a lot of vocal and intelligent posters on this board, and I like participating as well, but I don't like the fact that we seem relegated to talk about the same stuff over and over. Anyone who's a regular here knows prety much what the other prominent members are going to say, before they say it.

I can't believe that a day or 2 after I started this thread another one entitled "Do you think Hulk 181 is currently overvalued" gets fired up, and discussed intensely. 893frustrated.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of the 93 posts so far, BronzeBruce13, Rip_Van_Sleep and greggy are responsible for 49 of them. grin.gif

The Poll idea is cool, BUT for those that choose the last option... no disrespect, but I've heard that before (in regards to "how" HG a copy people "think" they have) and also find "fear of HG market collapse" as a reason not to reveal they may have a projected 9.4/9.6 copy is an unrealistic fear (they just did). It MAY be just as likely that they could be apprehensive to discover the actual CGC grade their projected HG copy will get?

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'd get my copy graded in a flash if it weren't for the grading fee. Apprehension over the grade is little obstacle. Coughing up the bucks for grading without plans to sell, plus fear of loss/damage during shipping are real reasons to not get it graded. But at no cost I'd risk the loss/damage!

Maybe CGC should have a "Get your Hulk #181 graded FREE" promotion for the Fall? Try to get every existing copy graded. smile.gif

"False tiering" is where you falsely manipulate a census to LIMIT the number of high grade material to create a healther market situation. Creating a FALSE tier system.

Where as if you had lets say

20 9.9's

50 9.8's

150 9.6's

instead of lets say

1 9.9

3 9.8

50 9.6's

you would have less incentive to send in a book to make gobs of money.

It creates more of a speculators market by limiting the higher grade tiers.

Im not saying CGC does this by the way AT ALL.

This brings to mind a question I was just considering -- if you had several high grade copies of a certain comic, would you send them all in one shipment to be slabbed? Or would you send them one at a time, maybe a week or three apart?

My concern was that a grader would get the multiple copies at the same time, and feel compelled to compare them to one another. Perhaps a comic that would get a 9.8 if graded solo, might be slightly inferior to another 9.8 also at hand. Comparing the two, the ever-so-slightly lesser copy would be justified in getting a 9.6. But if not seen side-by-side, both might get the 9.8. Doesn't that seem likely that multiple high-grade copies of an issue being graded at the same time (same day?) would be compared and contrasted and be awarded different grades in that scenario? Or am I just paranoid? Or both? smile.gif

Why not ask a "cardee" friend to answer the question in more detail. I'm curious...

Exactly, so why should I do your legwork? I read about it in a few issues of a sportscard magazine, but don't have the issues at the present time.

I'd also point out even if one company was proven disreputable, it can't be assumed they all are... can it?

My comment was addressed to the pinheads who scream "conspiracy theory" everytime people bring up any point that may put professional grading in a bad light. There have been cases of counterfeit graded items - some of which were produced with the company's equipment - along with many other improprieties.

All it takes is one bad apple at a company.

Does it happen at CGC? Probably not, but my point with this messages is to illustrate that IT CAN AND DOES HAPPEN, and if bozos continue to spout "Conspiracy Theory" each and every time, that means they have no real knowledge of the graded collectibles market.