• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pricing of a restoration.

3 posts in this topic

Like everyone else I have noticed the price of restored books slipping a touch.

I am inexperienced as to what I should pay for a restored book. Obviously there is more than one answer. There are many factors such as: Restored grade, amateur or pro restore, extensive, moderate, slight, Availability to acquire the copy in any grade, and many more. In addition it seems that buyers are very reluctant to pay serious dollars for a restored book (meaning there seems to be price resistance above $5000 for instance). I am making some assumptions based on my limited knowledge of a changing market. Let's assume you don't know the grade of the book before restoration Therefore, I was wondering how others are determining the price they would pay for restored books *as a guide only). Is there a formula? Thanks

I have seen several FF #1's (raw) graded and looking like VF's selling for VG guide. I've also purchased one myself and was told by the seller that a restored VF usually goes for around VG guide. As far as what I've noticed on e-bay, seems he was correct. Not sure how this works with other comics or grades though.

Slightly restored Silver-Age keys seem to go between 20-40% of the market value for a non-restored book.

In almost all cases, these are books that should never been restored in the first place (ie: small color touch, tear seal, etc.)