• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book web page help & questions ?

11 posts in this topic

hi.gif This may be off topic and may be the wrong place to post this if so I am sorry. smile.gif

insane.gif I started a ebay store allmost 2 years ago which I named Cosmic Trading Post to sell all my extra comics and to hopefuly make a little money to buy those rare price variants & ASM DC's I collect. Well needless to say I really have not made much money from it so over the last few weeks I have been trying to think of ways get more traffic to my store, so I thought maybe if I make my owne website I could draw some more traffic to my ebay Store and maybe even sell some cheap comics directly from the website " you know those $1 comics that just don't pay to even list on ebay". This seemed like a good ideal at the time so I picked a site that my nephew used to make a free web page called freewebs and I made a single page with links to my ebay store, some of my items and auctions and some other comic book related sites that have interesting stuff. Here it is my web page now don't laff too much this is my first page, I have very limited HTML knowledge and I did it in one day, it still needs a ton of work.

confused-smiley-013.gif Now here is what got me going and what I have questions about. I figured that when I made this web page that it would show up on Goggle if I typed in the name "Cosmic Trading Post" and I also hoped that it would show up near the top of the page. Well I can not even find it on Goggle and what is worse this page shows up at the top of the search web page this kind of bothers me. Up until yesterday this page did not show up on a goggle search and the same day I try to put up my owne page called Cosmic Trading Post this page popps up and it is at the top of the goggle search, this sucks before this at least my ebay store was at the top of this search. frustrated.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif What I wanted to know is how do I get my page to show up on searches like google? I did add Meta Tags is their anything else I can do that is free? I don't want to put allot of work into it if no one will see it. Also wondering about this other site with the same name that magically popped up on the same day I was making my site, is this just a coincidence or is someone connected with freewebs taking possible business names like mine to use for some reason confused-smiley-013.gif.

blush.gifThis is my first try at webpages so any suggestions, help or info is greately appreciated. I also plan add links to some of my favorite threads here on the CGC boards is this ok to do? gossip.gif

Thanks; Terry

893scratchchin-thumb.gif What I wanted to know is how do I get my page to show up on searches like google? I did add Meta Tags is their anything else I can do that is free? I don't want to put allot of work into it if no one will see it.

I'm not a web programmer, but through my marketing work I try to keep on top of stuff like this.

To the best of my knowledge, meta tags are old news and web crawlers no longer weigh them the way they used to. I'm not sure if Google even considers them at all.

Here's a quick lesson on Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Search engine results take all of the follwing into consideration when posting results:

1 - Key word content on your high level pages

2 - How frequently page is updated

3 - The number of QUALITY pages that link to you

4 - Number and frequency of page hits

I'm sure some of our web gurus could add more.

Good luck!

no offense, but there's no way that a small site hosted on freewebs is going to get anywhere near the top of a google search. quite frankly, i wouldn't be surprised if Google changed the way they compute listings to move eBay sites down...

honestly, i would try something else before i would spend a lot of time and effort trying to get that page in any google search ranking of any importance. maybe contacting past buyers, printing up some business cards to hand out at shows/cons, etc. Search Engine Optimisation is a nice little niche in the Web Site Development world, and there's no "quick fix" for people who are getting into the game this late, unfortunately.

Search Engine Watch is the best site i'm aware of for what's going on in the wonderful world of search engines

Sal is right 893whatthe.gif

First thing you should do is buy your own domain. It is less than $6 a year and can come free when you get a web space from a company.

Now look around at available web space 1and1.com which I use has a basic package that will cost you around $50 a year. If you look hard enough there is always a new company starting up offering great deals. When 1and1 first started I got the first 3 years free.

If you dont want to fork out the cash check with Silvers24. If he has any Domains left he might be able to hook you up with a domain and space for a good price. He also does nice work on websites.

To get into the sponsored links on google, yahoo, msn or any of those will cost you $$.

Here is a Free web submission you can use FREE WEB SUBMISSION

It will help some.

Tip:

One thing that will also help your site climb is link exchange. The more people you get to link to your site and the more you are linked to will help you climb the ranks.

If I think of anything else I will post it.

Rich

no offense, but there's no way that a small site hosted on freewebs is going to get anywhere near the top of a google search. quite frankly, i wouldn't be surprised if Google changed the way they compute listings to move eBay sites down...

smile.gifThanks I really appreciate all the helpful response hail.gifhail.gif. About what you said above "that no way a small freewebs site is going to get on near the top of Google", well my nephew who put up a small site on freewebs more than two years ago and has like only 32 hits in all that time, if I type the name of his site in a Google search it is at the top of the search every time confused-smiley-013.gif that is why I tried that site, is it just because it has been up for a long time?

Christo_pull_hair.gif And what about that other site that popped up yesterday with the same name on the same day I made my page why does it show up at the top of the search when I type in Cosmic Trading Post even ahead of all my ebay store listings? 893whatthe.gif

flowerred.gifThanks; Terry

smile.gifThanks I really appreciate all the helpful response hail.gifhail.gif. About what you said above "that no way a small freewebs site is going to get on near the top of Google", well my nephew who put up a small site on freewebs more than two years ago and has like only 32 hits in all that time, if I type the name of his site in a Google search it is at the top of the search every time confused-smiley-013.gif that is why I tried that site, is it just because it has been up for a long time?

Christo_pull_hair.gif And what about that other site that popped up yesterday with the same name on the same day I made my page why does it show up at the top of the search when I type in Cosmic Trading Post even ahead of all my ebay store listings? 893whatthe.gif

if i created a site called www.pfaraesaniesanisnoggle.com, then i guess if i searched for "pfaraesaniesanisnoggle" on Google, my site would come up first.

You have "Cosmic" "Trading" and "Post" in your site name. one expects that there are quite a few people out there with sites that have a lot more relevance to those terms than you. Especially since that is also your eBay store name, which likely has quite a lot of SEO-positive things going for it...It's gonna be really, really difficult for you to get a one-off site to show up high in SE rankings without quite a bit of messing with it. Unless of course until Google changes their algorithms around again.

The other thing just sounds like coincedence to me. It could also mean your Innernets is broken, since a Google search on "cosmic trading post" puts your eBay store at the top two listings for me confused-smiley-013.gif

if i created a site called www.pfaraesaniesanisnoggle.com, then i guess if i searched for "pfaraesaniesanisnoggle" on Google, my site would come up first.

You have "Cosmic" "Trading" and "Post" in your site name. one expects that there are quite a few people out there with sites that have a lot more relevance to those terms than you. Especially since that is also your eBay store name, which likely has quite a lot of SEO-positive things going for it...It's gonna be really, really difficult for you to get a one-off site to show up high in SE rankings without quite a bit of messing with it. Unless of course until Google changes their algorithms around again.

The other thing just sounds like coincedence to me. It could also mean your Innernets is broken, since a Google search on "cosmic trading post" puts your eBay store at the top two listings for me confused-smiley-013.gif

smile.gifThanks for your time Sal I really appreciate it. thumbsup2.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif their just must be something wrong with the page, I just tried to type in the whole web address on Goggle & Altavista to see if I could find it and got nothing on either search. I guess the only way to find my page is to enter the address in the address bar on my computer, boy that is a good one. 27_laughing.gif

This is called SEO, or Search Engine Optimization. It is an incredibly intricate and difficult subject to get into. I've been running my comic covers site for a couple of years, and have many thousands of pages involved, and get only a limited amount of love from any of the search engines. It really is a very complex cat-and-mouse game to play.

Your VERY FIRST step should be set up your own website on your own domain. I know using Freewebs is easy, but the earlier poster is correct in saying that free-hosted websites get no love these days.

After you do this, put a link to the site in your signature like you have now to your ebay store - BUT: label it with keywords that people may search for, ex. '$1.00 comics' rather than 'Cosmic Trading Post' , because pretty much nobody is going to be actually searching for your website name.

A real key to getting high marks on search engines is to actively tie in your meta description tag, your meta title tag, and your actual content together, hopefully using keyword and relevance.

For example, if you had a page called "Cosmic Spider-Man's Amazing Marvel 35 cent variant page," you would want to use that as both the title ( in the <head> of the html ) and the leading <h2> or <h1> tag on your page. Then you would put something like "A page showing off the extensive and hard-won collection of 35 cent Marvel Variant issues belonging to the one like Cosmic Spider-Man" in your "description" tag, which is also in the <head> of your html page.

Your content of the page would then be chock full of images and important and relevant data pertaining to 35 cent Marvel Variant issues, including links to other valuable contributors to the 35 cent variant crowd. Hopefully, these sites would then link back to you. All images on the page would have the words "35 cent variant" if it was a cover of a variant, or "Cosmic Spider-Man" if not in their "alt" attributes, although this is not 100% necessary these days for SEO.

Do all of that, for every page on your site, and you're probably about 50% of the way there. If none of this made sense, my recommendation would be to just focus your energy on getting word out about your eBay store, and tell people who buy from you that you also *wink wink* have dollar books for sale.

Good luck to ya either way

thumbsup2.gif Thanks guys for the advise I guess it will just be something for me to learn on and play with until I get more serious about building a real website. I have so much to learn before I have any hope of putting up a good site but hay you got to start somewhere right. smile.gif