• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question regarding these 1940's photos of comic books

16 posts in this topic

a friend (using that word loosly, as i know the guy, but we don't hang out) of mine mentioned via email that he makes coffee table books. he is interested in possibly making a book using the photos that have been posted here. now, this is in the infant stages, and i'm waiting to hear back from him whether or not he knows any publishers who would be interested. but if he does, would you guys be interested in not only helping us find as many photos as possible, but also providing any insight or details on the photos?

also, is there any interest here regarding a coffee table book? (i'm sure there is, but i figured i'd check)

again, this is just to gage interest right now. no promises, so please don't get your hopes up. i want to make sure he's serious. also, can anyone confirm that there are no books on the subject already? i haven't heard of any.

thank you

justin

Wow, I need those postcards!

I'd hope you would see my post, NM. It seems a set you can't live without. I saw it solicited in the latest Bud Plant catalog.

I like the soldier, the Bogart and the kid reading Menace best.

I'd like a closer look at the one with the kid looking at the spinner rack.

Isn't that the staged photo with Boris Karloff. If I remember correctly, the rack is full of Horror comics including E.C.s. But the photo is from the sixties!

No, I've got the one with Boris Karloff on my site(didn't know it was from the 60s, though!). The one on the postcard above is different.

You are right! But that means that kid has one scary looking dad!

so he got back to me. i'll post more info later, but at the least, it looks like he'll design it with me and maybe get a small quantity print going. still in the infant stages, but looking better.

so two different people with connections to publishing houses (one that specializes in coffee table books aimed esp at the collectors market, and one who works for one) have been in touch with me. of course, who knows how far this will go (to be honest), but i'd like to go as far with the idea as i can. the main thing is i will need more photos. don't want to make a 5 page coffee table book. 27_laughing.gif. if you have any more photos, or know anyone who does, stay in touch with me. i'll do the same. obviously, this won't be a quick project, but i'll keep anyone interested updated. anything can happen. shoot, it could fall apart, but i'm going to persue every lead and opportunity i can. even if it doesn't get published, i still think i'll be able to at least make a limited quantity print

A heads up for fans of old pictures of kids reading comics.

The latest issue of Arf (Arf Forum) from Fantagraphics has some nice full page color reproductions of comic centric magazine covers from the 1940s and 50s. There is a Dodge Monthly with a couple of kids reading comics at a newstand with one of them folding the cover back a Human Torch.

For you MLJ fans there is also a reprint of a fumetti style strip of a cute girl visiting the MLJ offices from "Close Up" magazine - with plenty of girls posing in their underwear for the benefit of the artists.

I recommend all 3 issues of this trade paperback sized mag. Put together by Craig Yoe they are chock full of comic strip and comic book esoterica.

For you MLJ fans there is also a reprint of a fumetti style strip of a cute girl visiting the MLJ offices from "Close Up" magazine - with plenty of girls posing in their underwear for the benefit of the artists.

I believe Roy Thomas is planning on reproducing those in an upcoming issue of Alter Ego as well. Gil Kane in his Comics Journal interview clearly remembers seeing the models coming in at night at the MLJ office for photo shoots. Close Up is of course also MLJ or Archie, whatever you want to call it since before it concentrate on comics only MLJ / Close Up was publishing also girlie mags and pulps.