• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your best deals/findings...

14 posts in this topic

To everyone

Since most of us has been hunting down comics for a long time, there were times where we were ripped off (childhood) but others where we made some of our best deals...not only because of the value, but also (and more importante) because of the importance of those comics for us and ours coll. and the joy we can have on hunting them down...in the end a collectors fan fav. experience.

So...which deals are still stuck with you fellas after all these years?!

My experience: around 4 years ago i found a person (long time reader) willing to sell a major coll.

His coll. not only was a big and great one, but the comics were in pristine grade (i see a lot on stores who aren't near as these ones).

At the time i made an extra financial effort to get the most important ones...but i had the feeling that the fella was out of contact of the actual prices, so...

Uncanny X-Men nº108-270, i payed around 350$

DD nº158-200 (with a dozen of silver age issues on the lot)...115$

2 years ago i bought an almost complete AMS coll. from 120-400, all in pristine (the few worst are at VF) shape including the fabulous NM nº121,122,129, 194, 238, 252...only missing nº300 (that i already have)...in this lot the fella included some other few items ex:Ultimate spider nº1 and a few silver age AMS too...i payed 500$ (including the big shipping costs!!!).

As an investisement, more recently, i bought from a friend of mine a complete Ultimate Spider coll. nº1-40 for 150$.

What do you say, did i made good deals?!

Regards, Pedro.

ps- the only down from the first dealer i bought the DD and UXM coll, was that the guy had a complete Conan nº1-25 coll. and Savage Sword of conan nº1-100 fro sell, and i din't had enough $,lol. But i'm really happy for what i got.

As an investisement, more recently, i bought from a friend of mine a complete Ultimate Spider coll. nº1-40 for 150$.

Yes, but you did rip off your friend....

Yes, but you did rip off your friend....

I disagree chromium. His friend was obviously happy with the $150.00. Sure, he could have received more for them on e-bay...but knowing me, I wouldn't want the hassle. And it was quick money.

Kermit, over-all you did ok. But, I've noticed that most forum members don't generally share deals insofar as the $ in concerned. Perhaps 'cause they are concerned over how the deals could be perceived by other members. grin.gif

The exception to the rule, seems to be e-bay. Had you won your Ultimates on e-bay for $150.00...well that would have been ok. insane.gif

Ninanina

Thanks for the reply

I disagree chromium. His friend was obviously happy with the $150.00. Sure, he could have received more for them on e-bay...but knowing me, I wouldn't want the hassle. And it was quick money.

WE simply did this way, ia say i was interested (since he was changing from comic to the HC) and i asked him how much he could do to me...he said 150$ and i agree.

Kermit, over-all you did ok. But, I've noticed that most forum members don't generally share deals insofar as the $ in concerned. Perhaps 'cause they are concerned over how the deals could be perceived by other members.

lol, ok, let's think that the above lots were purchased on ebay... smirk.gif

At that time i wasn't much inside the value of the comics price (UXM and DD), but some months after when i started building my excel list (including comics value) i was pleasntly surpsrised. grin.gif

Chromium

By you reply i presume it was a good deal.

Regards, Pedro.

Let me know next time you are selling a full run of USM 1-40 for $150.00 and you want 'quick money' and don't want the hassle of selling on eBay.

Bottom line, his friend got stiffed, USM #1 goes for more than he paid for the entire collection. it's a $350 - $450 sale.

I disagree chromium. His friend was obviously happy with the $150.00.

Do you know him personally and have asked him about his "happiness level" about the sale?

If so, invite him on here, as I'd like to hear of his happiness first-hand.

Do you know him personally and have asked him about his "happiness level" about the sale?

JC. The two things needed in making a deal is the seller has to agree with the buyer over the price. A price that they are both happy with. If you and chromium really think he got taken advantage here, I'd like to hear from people like lighthouse what they would have done. grin.gif

I don't feel the dealers would have to justify a purchase like this. Why should a collector?

JC. The two things needed in making a deal is the seller has to agree with the buyer over the price. A price that they are both happy with. If you and chromium really think he got taken advantage here, I'd like to hear from people like lighthouse what they would have done. grin.gif

I don't feel the dealers would have to justify a purchase like this. Why should a collector?

First of all, Pedro said it was as an investment so I wouldn't qualify him acting like a collector in this example. 2, I agree that he "took" his friend. What would dealers do? Break out a Wizard or Overstreet, tell him what it currently sells for on ebay and then work out an agreeable price. If $150 is it and the guy doesn't want the hassle then great deal. But it seems Pedro's friend was operating in a vacuum without full disclosure of the true value of his books. If the books were all beat to then $150 is a great deal. If they are in anywhere in NM/MT and if that USM 1 first print red cover grades for CGC 9.4, he just made back his cost.

If you are asking what dealers would do, I just told you what I have done in the past - full disclosure. I've quoted Wizard guide to you for our potential Hulk deal and even knocked a percentage of it off and you basically said no. But at least I told you exactly what they were worth and you knew what they were selling for on ebay. Bargain hunting is one thing, but paying sucker bucks to the ignorant is out and out theft 893naughty-thumb.gif

flamed.gif893applaud-thumb.gif I second that invite and would like to know if that friend knew full well what his books were worth. This story and the Marvel Special Edition 893naughty-thumb.gif - there so much wool around my eyes, it's like my head's stuck up a sheep's arse tongue.gif - a hundred bucks huh? I hve one for you (Pedro) for $30 as well and I know what the book is tongue.gif

First of all, Pedro said it was as an investment so I wouldn't qualify him acting like a collector in this example. 2, I agree that he "took" his friend. What would dealers do? Break out a Wizard or Overstreet, tell him what it currently sells for on ebay and then work out an agreeable price. If $150 is it and the guy doesn't want the hassle then great deal. But it seems Pedro's friend was operating in a vacuum without full disclosure of the true value of his books. If the books were all beat to then $150 is a great deal. If they are in anywhere in NM/MT and if that USM 1 first print red cover grades for CGC 9.4, he just made back his cost.

If you are asking what dealers would do, I just told you what I have done in the past - full disclosure. I've quoted Wizard guide to you for our potential Hulk deal and even knocked a percentage of it off and you basically said no. But at least I told you exactly what they were worth and you knew what they were selling for on ebay. Bargain hunting is one thing, but paying sucker bucks to the ignorant is out and out theft 893naughty-thumb.gif

Darth,

Being upfront with me during a sale is a no-brainer and is not an example of a dealer being up front with a seller during a purchase although I have no doubts as to how you conduct business.

I am not in a postion to defend what happened here and I am not gonna get into a [!@#%^&^] contest over a situation I know nothing about. If Kermit wants to explain how the deal went, great. It's his call. But...

we are assuming the seller had NO idea these comics were HOT and valuable, which may be a stretch. We are also assuming they were NM, or at least as NM as all the others sold on e-bay right now. Many collectors buy for the investment potential of comics while dealers buy to re-sell. I feel that is a significant difference and again consider Kermit a collector in this transaction. Dealers do not buy comics to invest in, their money ( for the most part ) is made by buying and selling.

I know what these comics were selling for on e-bay and I personally would not want the hassle. If I wanted to sell these to a dealer, I would have been happy with the $150.00 so why wouldn't I be happy to sell them to a guy for the same. Now, if I was set up to sell on e-bay, had a scanner and knew how to use it - different story. But I don't and probably neither did the seller.

Just some things to consider. grin.gif

yeah...well I had drunk a lot of soda and felt the strong need to p.iss tongue.gif

I'll take your point on the assumption. That's why i had listed some scenarios in my previous post where this would have been a "good" transaction. By Pedro's own admission, this buy of USM for $150 was for "investment purposes" - why I was saying that he wasn't acting like a "collector"

and Kermit, welcome to the boards! smile.gif