• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Master of Kung-Fu 1st app.

8 posts in this topic

To everyone

The Master of Kung-Fu 1st app. was a comic, that for the writting of Mr.Englehart and the great art of Starlin remained as one fo my "obscure" comics from Marvel.

And a few days ago i made an new adition to my coll., one very particular one: Special Marvel Edition nº15!!!

This comic features the 1st app. of Shang-Chi, Master of Kung-Fu!!!!!

This comic is imo one of the best contained stories from the 70's, having the fantastic writting skills of the Mr.Englehart and the great art of Jim Starlin...

The funny thing was the way i got. I knew this one in great shape costs almost 100$, so i'll never could have it, at least right now.

While i was passing by a special, small comcistore that i love to go from time to time (the comic exists since the 60's, first comicstore in Paris), where Cap. is putted aside with Burroughs, SANDMAN near Ferlinghetti,and so on...and Ginsberg is everywhere,*** .

Well, i enter the store, saw this comic and it was marked 30$. I tought it was already a great price for it, since it's a solid VF (maybe VF+) copie, it must be a mistake or something. I looked/picked it up to see if it was a re-print or such, but no, the orignal great one.

I asked if the seller could do 20$ for me and he went looking at the overstreet and i tought "...i'm doomed, what he's going to do is increase the price, since it's marked almost 100$ overthere...".

The guy closes the book and say...ok.

I couldn't believe it, or understand the reason of the such lower price, but i didn't cared, i would tought about it later...i payed and went home reading the book over and over again.

Later on i found the reason of the mistake. The seller while going to the overstreet consulting, said mumbling "...let's see Marvel special edition..." instead of special marvel edition...and i found that the first one was indeed marked 28$, and the second (true one) was 100$...so there it was the mistake...the mistake that allowed me to have one great and gorgeous book!!!

I think i already read (extra carefully) this comic 6 or 7 times, it was one of those stories that marked me when i was a kid...the confrontation of Son-Father figure, secrets and lies...in some ways a metaphor of the teenager period.

Regards, Pedro.

ps- Do you fellas think this comic will rise in value? Is it hard to find (this was the 1st one i saw around here in Paris)?

I hesitate putting this topic on the silver of bronze age section...to which era does it belongs?!

Its done pretty well all things considered... BUT seller "Pandorn" has/had a considerable "legitimate HG stash" that produced MANY 9.2-9.8 copies. I'm sure Vince will second that. Even still, 9.6 sales have been about equal to their previous highs of late.. and even 9.8's were not that far off either.

I would have expected them to drop and stay down when it became apparent there was a HG source of undetermined size out there. In all fairness, the upcoming movie (unless its shelved) could be influencing values even though the advance hype has not arrived.

It is a cool book regardless.. do you have the MOFK Annual #1 with iron Fist?

This a great book... it's definitely in the Bronze Age though. Also, it's actually seeing quite a bit of trading lately. I wouldn't call this book difficult to find... but it is a minor key book. It's also very cool with one of my all time favorite characters. Congrats on the find.