• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which price guide do you use?

20 posts in this topic

Which one do you use?

I took a look at Overstreet and Wizard and there are items that have completly different prices...overstreet is more generous towARds the old ones, wizard is more the opposite. But overstreet standars are way beyond the current new hit comics in the market...

Thanks for the help/explanation, regards, Pedro.

I use the Comic Sheet from Darryl (who's a member of the forum) as I really only buy CGC'd books. If I find a raw book from a seller I trust, I'll pay approx 50 percent to 75 percent of the CGC'd value.

Brian

I used to think that Wizard got a bit of a bad rap...we know they're the masters of hype and hot air, but I thought generally their price guide wasn't too bad and more realistic than Overstreet showing "hot" new books at close to cover price.

Over the past year or so, however, they have gotten progressively worse, as if they've felt the need to get people speculating again. Hot new books like Hulk #34 and ASM v. 2 #30 would soar to nosebleed prices immediately...even worse, books that followed a hot issue (like, say, ASM v. 2 #31 or #32) would also be shown at prices around 75% of the inflated hot book's value. I remember at one convention (maybe San Diego 2002?) that there were stacks of Origin #2s being sold for $5 each when Wizard had it at like $25.

To me, the greatest insult to my intelligence was when Wizard recently started pumping up movie hype books, so that all the common Uncanny X-Men books from the mid-1980s (e.g., the issues around #180) were suddenly revalued from like $4 to $15 in one month. What a joke. I noticed this week that Daredevil #181 is listed at $75 - the same price as Daredevil #158!! If they're going to publish prices like that, you might as well just rip out the Wizard price guide and line your birdcage with the pages...

Gene

I'm curious what you guys think about http://www.comicspriceguide.com.

I use that guide when I need to quickly look up a price and I'm no where near my Overstreet Guide. Sometimes, I feel they're pretty exaggerated but I've noticed that their prices on Ultimate Spider-Man seem to be pretty close to the the prices I'm seeing on Ebay.

Overstreet.

But I collect the pre-1975 stuff only.

Also eBay is a good guide of actual prices, especially for Good to Fine copies of early Marvels.

Supapimp

Thanks for the rating...looks like by my rating that my startung wasn't the best one...

I tend to follow a little of wizard for the recent comics and the bronze/silver age overstreet...but sometimes they tend to be only as mere guides, because lately it seems overral that the prices increased a lot (AMS silver/bronze autions specially).

Regards, Pedro.

i just rated you 5 stars since some hater knocked you down to 1 star. confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Isn't one star the best rating one can give another? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Otherwise, why would it be the default choice?

Just realized I haven't rated you yet. Do you want the 5 stars I was going to give you, or would you prefer a 1 star rating? confused-smiley-013.gif

Beyonder

lol, thanks for dropping by.

I started collecting a few years ago and since i found this nice community i tried to bring up my questions/doubts and points of view...it's always interesting to hear óthern people's points of view...

I'm not much into CGC comics (way too expensive and i like to read my comics,lol) but it's always good to share our common interests...

Regarding the rating...put the one you think it suits be better, no prob'.

Regards, Pedro.