• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANYONE GOT $750,000 TO SPARE?

127 posts in this topic

The seller Chris Bell probably expects no one to be stupid enough to pay his hi-asking price. He is using this 1 crazy ad to drive traffic to his smaller eBay ads & his website. I fully expect him to take the top cash offer from last month's solicitation via the Cgc email bulletin. Who else would want all those hi-grade Cgc Westerns? Only 1 of each lousy selling tongue.gif title.
893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif So...you saying that his alledged offer of $500K by Geppi may have been a "fabrication"? confused.gif

$500K was the "ask price" prior to the books being certified.

Now that they are and the results favorable, I imagine Chris wants his grading fees and possibly a premium on top of that.

I'm pretty sure he's content to hold unless he gets his price. I don't think $500K will do it now. I'm not saying its realistic or unrealistic as I know little about GA values, but he does have a rather unique collection, is not desperate to sell and can set the bar where he likes.

It will be interesting to see if he reaches his goal.

The seller Chris Bell probably expects no one to be stupid enough to pay his hi-asking price. He is using this 1 crazy ad to drive traffic to his smaller eBay ads & his website. I fully expect him to take the top cash offer from last month's solicitation via the Cgc email bulletin. Who else would want all those hi-grade Cgc Westerns? Only 1 of each lousy selling tongue.gif title.
893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif So...you saying that his alledged offer of $500K by Geppi may have been a "fabrication"? confused.gif

$500K was the "ask price" prior to the books being certified.

Now that they are and the results favorable, I imagine Chris wants his grading fees and possibly a premium on top of that.

I'm pretty sure he's content to hold unless he gets his price. I don't think $500K will do it now. I'm not saying its realistic or unrealistic as I know little about GA values, but he does have a rather unique collection, is not desperate to sell and can set the bar where he likes.

It will be interesting to see if he reaches his goal.

But...wouldn't he be netting less if someone bids $500K because I can guarantee that there won't a bidding war for these books on eBay. If he's waiting for someone willing to buy that collection whole, I guess he better be willing to hold onto it. confused.gif

Here's some Church and San Fransisco pedigree statistics (far from complete list, but should give some info about average condition):

CGC-graded Church books

MilehighCGC_grades.png

San Fransisco

CGC-grades_SanFransisco.png

PQ-Church books

PQ_MileHigh.png

PQ-San Fransisco

SanFransiscoPQ.png

GA 9.8 books are very rare. I believe besides Church books there are very few 9.8 copies. If my memory serves me correctly there are couple from Allentown. I have seen very few SF books for sale, but based on the number of 9.6s there probably are some 9.8s. Hundreds of Rockford books have been sold through Heritage but there seems to be no 9.8s at all..

Btw..there are two Mint 9.9 Edgar Church books. (possibly more?)

Anyway, quality of those Vancouver books is incredible. It's possible that Vancouver pedigree has a best average page quality of all GA pedigrees.

As Sidney Fields used to say, "Boys, Boys, Boys"!!!

$750,000??? $500,000??? This is lunacy.

Geppi wouldn't pay $250,000 for this banana boat-load of oddball issues, let alone $500Gs.

Geppi didn't become the richest man in the comic hobby by being a fool.

As I and several others have pointed out, LOOK hard and long at the issues in this "Incredible collection", and ask yourself what kind of multiples of graded guide these books would have to realize to net that amount ($750Gs). Ten times graded guide? Twenty times graded guide? Fifty times graded guide perhaps?

What are you going to do about getting 20X graded guide+ on such magnificent books as:

Suzie Comics #49 .. 9.2

Wild Western #4 .... 9.0

Western True Crime #16 ... 9.4

etc. ?????????

Where are the 10 to 20 books that should be present in a big, high grade collection that you can make some of the money back that you laid out for it, rather quickly?

Think about this: There's 253 comics in this collection for $750,000!!!!!!

That's a pay rate of approx. $3000 PER BOOK. YES.....per book!!!

For every book here that can be sold for more than $3000, there's probably 25 to 50 that can't be sold for anywhere near $3000 and out of that 50% that can't even be sold for at least $1000!!!!!!! ANd many that won't even hit the $500 mark. That's alot of wasted wood to try and make your money back on.

There's no way that ANYBODY that knows one thing about buying and selling is going to pay $250Gs CASH for this oddball collection and even at that, it would be doubtful that someone could see their money back at the very least, even paying $1000 per book for this garbage. Least of all Geppi, one of the smartest men in the hobby.

"There's no way that ANYBODY that knows one thing about buying and selling is going to pay $250Gs CASH for this oddball collection and even at that, it would be doubtful that someone could see their money back at the very least, even paying $1000 per book for this garbage. Least of all Geppi, one of the smartest men in the hobby"

Once again, this shows that "Hammer" knows nothing. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

I know for a FACT this guy was offered a very large some of money (yes, still under $700,000) and turned it down. And it was someone that "knows (more than) one thing about buying and selling".

BTW- This is an amazing collection. I really believe that most of these copies will rival, if not surpass, their Church counter-parts. shocked.gif

There are a total of 3 G.A. CGC 9.9s and I own two of them. The Capt Marvel Jr. #29 is a 9.9 and the Thrilling #30 is a 9.9.

Is Capt Marvel Jr. #29 a Church copy? Or from another pedigree? It would be great if you could post a picture of that book 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I know for a FACT this guy was offered a very large some of money (yes, still under $700,000) and turned it down.

Well I guess we'll see in 8 days or so if this "offer" was valid, as anyone willing to bid just "under $700K" should be salivating at getting it at or over the $500K opening bid.

If the auction passes with no bids, as much as I hate to say it, Hammer gains a bit of credibility.

I know for a FACT this guy was offered a very large some of money (yes, still under $700,000) and turned it down.

Well I guess we'll see in 8 days or so if this "offer" was valid, as anyone willing to bid just "under $700K" should be salivating at getting it at or over the $500K opening bid.

Where did he say the offer was "just under $700K"???

He was responding to a post about the books not being worth $250K.

Where did he say the offer was "just under $700K"???

He was responding to a post about the books not being worth $250K.

WTF? If I offer $1800 to someone, that could be construed as "under $2K". It's common usage, and when someone says "under $700K", it had better be between $601K and 699K.

Otherwise, if it's 280K, it's "under 300K"; if the offer's 460K, then obviously that's "under 500K". It's pretty easy to understand, as that's the way intelligent people converse.

JC- I never said "just under". Don't pull a Hammer and twist what people say. I said it was a large sum and UNDER $700,000. This collection is very nice and I just thought I should point out that this was a real find and that people have offered real money for it. Trust me, the sale of this collection, if it takes place, will not be done on Ebay.

About Hammers "credibilty" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

I said it was a large sum and UNDER $700,000.

I know, and that obviously means $601K to 699K as an offer, with the end number being anywhere in-between. I didn't mean to state it was $699,999.00, but the number has to be above $600K.

Otherwise, why use "under $700K" if it's actually "under $600K" or "under $500K?