• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANYONE GOT $750,000 TO SPARE?

127 posts in this topic

I understood Steve's comment as just making it clear that the offer was certainly under the BIN price

Once again Einstein, the BIN was $750K, not the $700K you and Steve keep quoting.

Here's a link to the auction, though I'm worried the big numbers will confuse you:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2190032404&category=67

Instead of rehashing your same non-point, Nancy.......why don't you actually try reading several posts up where I said, "I understood Steve's comment as just making it clear that the offer was certainly under the BIN price but was still substantial in response to the 250K figure that he was responding to.(yes, the figure was off from the BIN price but an intelligent person could get his meaning.....unfortunately, that lets you out)."

You look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person so a misquoted price is all you can keep harping on. Keep it up and you might actually surpass ComicInvestor as the forums biggest dipstick. 27_laughing.gif

I disagree. Steve's comment does indeed make it seem like the turned down offer was in the $600K+ range. That's exactly what my initial reaction was

Gene and I seem to the only well-educated lads on the board.

I could just see Bug acting the big kid role and stating that he offered Geppi "under $120 Billion" for some of his comics. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I agree with your comments but the flame war will still continue! 893frustrated.gif

I am going to try and refrain from arguing with the math-challenged members of the board. Otherwise, I might as well go beat up some hobos and call it a night.

mad.gif

Sorry Greggy, you're either in or out. If you think an offer of "under $700K" could logically mean $1.55, then you're in Bug's corner.

If not, come and join the boyz over here.

Steve was replying to a post about the collection not being worth 250K and said that he knows for a fact that the owner was offered a large sum of money for it. All he did was clarify in parenthesis that yes, it was still under the $700K Buy-It-Now price.

Intelligent people would certainly NOT automatically take that to mean that the offer was "just under" $700,000....unless they have an agenda, and are just trying to set it up so they can say somebody was wrong.

I disagree. Steve's comment does indeed make it seem like the turned down offer was in the $600K+ range. That's exactly what my initial reaction was and then I realized that it must have been hyperbole on Steve's part. If such an offer existed, it's obviously between $250K and $500K because if it was lower than $250K, Steve would have had no basis to refute Hammer's post and if it was higher than $500K (before slabbing & eBay fees, no less), the seller would be taking a huge risk starting this auction below the offer price as there probably aren't more than 2-3 people who are realistic buyers for this collection at that price.

I can understand Steve's zeal to deliver a scathing response to Hammer, uh, I mean MrNice, but resorting to hyperbolic statements is not the way to do it, especially if the misleading statements reinforce to newbies & speculators the legitimacy of "investing" in comic books at ludicrous price levels. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Gene

I didn't take it that way at all from the very first time I read it. Steve was responding directly to a figure of the books not being worth $250K, and even quoted that statement for clarification, and said that he's already turned down a substantial offer. Why sould Steve put the "less than $700K" figure in parenthesis as just a side note if the offer was actually close to that......why not just say that the offer was near $700K?

And any way you look at it, Steve never said that it was "just under $700K" as Joe initially said while trying to twist his words.

I interpreted as well to mean somewhere in the 600k range, if the offer was under 700k...seems pretty straightfoward to me. In fact, if it were under $500k, wouldn't Steve had said "under the opening bid price"?

confused.gif

Why sould Steve put the "less than $700K" figure in parenthesis as just a side note if the offer was actually close to that......why not just say that the offer was near $700K?

Because that's how people talk. You can say "under $150K", "over $100K" or "low six-figures" and it is construed in much the same way. It's pretty common usage in business, and in all cases, it means the same approximate range of dollar amounts.

I disagree. Steve's comment does indeed make it seem like the turned down offer was in the $600K+ range. That's exactly what my initial reaction was

I could just see Bug acting the big kid role and stating that he offered Geppi "under $120 Billion" for some of his comics. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Actually, I do see Gene as being well-educated, but just didn't interpret Steve's post the same way I did. When you take in all the factors that had been discussed prior, including the starting auction bid, what the BIN is, and the post Steve quoted and replied to mentioning the 250K price, I think it's obvious he wasn't trying to say the offer was "just under 700K" like you said. But, you have your own obvious agenda for trying to purposefully twist what was said so you can say you were right later.

I agree with your comments but the flame war will still continue! 893frustrated.gif

I am going to try and refrain from arguing with the math-challenged members of the board. Otherwise, I might as well go beat up some hobos and call it a night.

Good......retards shouldn't argue with anyone......even the math-challenged members of the board. And no point in beating up any hobos, I'm sure you did that last night after you kicked a few puppies that looked like they might be pro-cgc.

I do know what you're trying to say, and if Steve had used the "under $750K" BIN amount, I would agree with you. I just didn't see it that way, as Steve doesn't impress me as a guy who gets his numbers wrong like that.

EXACTLY! HYPE, HYPE, HYPE...but no substance to support the sensationalism. Certain individuals are comparing these books to the Church collection????893whatthe.gif Some of these are nicer than their Church counterparts????893whatthe.gif .

WHO CARES?? Look at the titles!!!!

Where are the:

Adventures 40 through 103

Actions 1 through 100

More Funs 52 through 101

Supermans 1-10

Marvel Comics/Mysteries 1-92

Captain Americas 1-50

All Stars 1-50

Sensations 1-50

Peps 17 through 50

in NM and better????????

etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.

??????????????????????

What the hell is in this new, highly touted Pedigree collection of off-beat, oddball books that would make someone looking to turn a profit pay more than $1000 per book CASH!!

Let's put it to the Forum: (and for the purpose of accuracy, honestly go back to the lead post link and study all 253 components of this collection before you answer).

If you had $253,000 to invest for the purpose of investment, would you pay $1000 per book for each book in this collection as a whole??? To be clear, that means that you get the Namora for $1000 but you get the rest of the garbage for $1000 per book as well.

Secondly, How relatively important do you think this collection is in comparison to the Mile High, Allentown, or any other Pedigree that had high grade keys like Tec 27, Tec 33, Tec 38, Marvel 1, Action 1, etc.??

I interpreted as well to mean somewhere in the 600k range, if the offer was under 700k...seems pretty straightfoward to me. In fact, if it were under $500k, wouldn't Steve had said "under the opening bid price"?

confused.gif

I don't know what the offer was. The fact is, Steve NEVER said the offer was "just under 700K".

I've heard a figure of 500K thrown around as what was offered.......but, even if it was $605K, it still wouldn't be "just under 700K" like Joe initially said.

I took into account the fact that Steve quoted a post about $250K being too much, and based his statement on that.

confused.gif

I don't know what the offer was. The fact is, Steve NEVER said the offer was "just under 700K".

I've heard a figure of 500K thrown around as what was offered.......but, even if it was $605K, it still wouldn't be "just under 700K" like Joe initially said.

I took into account the fact that Steve quoted a post about $250K being too much, and based his statement on that.

Damn...this thread is like a car wreck. I want to leave but I can't! 893frustrated.gif

I do know what you're trying to say, and if Steve had used the "under $750K" BIN amount, I would agree with you. I just didn't see it that way, as Steve doesn't impress me as a guy who gets his numbers wrong like that.

If Steve wasn't referring to the BIN figure, then I can see an assumption being made about it being in the 600K range.....but still not "just under 700K".

However, the figure that greggy gave was that an offer of $500K was made on the books....so that does make me think that the statement was made in reference to the BIN price range on the book.

confused.gif

Damn...this thread is like a car wreck. I want to leave but I can't! 893frustrated.gif

Why don't you shut that gash under your nose? sumo.gif