• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Grade This X-Men Giant Size #1

20 posts in this topic

No way! Not with the staple impressions and dirt on the back cover, and the bottom staple actually poking through the front cover. Unless this "manufacturer's defects ignored" policy extends to actual holes in the cover of squarebounds cause by staple tines poking right through the paper (to the left of NightCrawler), it can't be better than an 8.0 to 8.5.

When I looked at the front cover, the spine did look a bit twisted and with the minor damage to the upper right corner kinda felt the book probably had more of a "worn" look to it than we actually see on the scan. When I looked at the back cover, it confirmed my suspicions. So, I'll go VF on this one. But only because I am thinking there's more wear to the cover than we see. If cover gloss is like new, it could go as high as VF+?

Just my opinion. grin.gif

I second that emotion. CGC is notoriously lenient on these squarebounds, especially in the area of staple damage.

Didn't someone on here have a CGC 9.4-9.6 squarebound with staples poking all the way through?

I have a couple of comics I want the Forum opinion on as far as grades....

Thanks,

Jim

This is one of the problems I have with CGC, it is not quite a 9.0 and not a 8.5. The old standards of VF 88 would be perfect here. With that in mind, I would go with a 9.0. It is hard to see the staples pushing through that Mr Nice sees but if that is the case it would definitely push it down to a 8.0.

Tom

No way! Not with the staple impressions and dirt on the back cover, and the bottom staple actually poking through the front cover.

Doesn't matter - as JC said, CGC is notoriously lenient with squarebounds. I've seen GS1 9.6s that would grade 9.2 were they not squarebound issues. Unless CGC has modified their grading standards from when I submitted my own copy that came back a 9.2, this is definitely a 9.0 to 9.2 candidate.

Gene