• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.4 Give or take...

30 posts in this topic

Well, I'm a little disappointed as I purchased a raw 9.4 Mighty Marvel Western #1 from one of the major dealers. I sent it in to CGC and had my fingers crossed as I opened their email today with the images. I was saying to myself, "please let it be a 9.2." Well, you can see the result here. I guess I'm only buying slabs from them now.

1872673-798272-0011.JPG

1872673-798272-0011.JPG.e904aad231f18fc54d7fabff016235db.JPG

Definitely call for graders notes on that one. Thats got to be the nicest 7.0 I've seen. There is always a possiblity of a misgrade could've been a 9.0 rather than a 7.0. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's a square bound book in fantastic shape. Intact with a bright white cover. I agree with the PQ. Edges and corners are as nice as they appear. The back is no different. I'll call for the notes because it has to be something big, like maybe I missed a ham sandwich stuck between the pages.

It's a square bound book in fantastic shape. Intact with a bright white cover. I agree with the PQ. Edges and corners are as nice as they appear. The back is no different. I'll call for the notes because it has to be something big, like maybe I missed a ham sandwich suck between the pages.

I still have a bitter tase in my mouth from an early submission, that I thought was a hands down 9.4, that came back as a 7.0. I cracked it out, and lo' and behold, CGC was right - very light moisture (humidity) rippling to the upper half of the FC went unnoticed by me . . . frown.gif

Note to all - you can't tell squat from a small scan of one side of a book encased in plastic . . . insane.gif

To get downgraded that low with structure that solid means it has to be one of those kinds of defects, i.e. humidty ripple, interior tanning, staining, or even finger prints on the book. I think for almost anybody who has submitted a good amount of books there has been books where we get surprised like this one because of something you miss that CGC obviously did not. Maybe you can try and speak to the dealer whom you bought the book from and explain the situation. I doubt they ll give you a refund but maybe they ll at least offer you some sort of freebie.

To get downgraded that low with structure that solid means it has to be one of those kinds of defects, i.e. humidty ripple, interior tanning, staining, or even finger prints on the book.

Assuming the book is a 9.2-9.4 outwardly, the only defect that could drop it to a 7.0 would be moisture damage/rippling. An interior stain probably wouldn't and if there was a missing coupon or page, it would get a Qualified or be hammered down well below 7.0.

Just got off the phone with them. Graders notes say there is a small crease on the back cover and some slight spine damage. I do remember the top of the spine being tapered a little at the tip. Don't remember that crease but apparantly there is one.

I'm not really concerned as this was an inexpensive book but I figured this "raw 9.4" would at least generate a 9.0 to 9.2. No defects really stand out. I guess it's just the accumulation of several small ones.

One more thing, no moisture stains, no rippling, no missing pages or cut coupons. They also said there was color break somewhere on the cover. These square bound books really take hits. I can tell you this 7.0 MMW looks much better than my CGC 9.4 Vampirella Annual.

JC,

Id agree with you in that the only way a book that looks like a 9.2/9.4 to be dropped to a 7.0 because of staining or finger prints are if it is a significant amount of either one which you would most likely notice. However Id disagree with you about the interior tanning especially on a Bronze Age book. If there is tanning on the interior of both the front and back covers, in my experience that is deemed a significant enough defect by CGC to drop the grade a full 2 points.