• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,057 posts in this topic

Rick,

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to pursue #101-200. I would be looking for

CGC 9.6 or better, but they seem to be sparse on the CGC census and seem to sell for too much when they do appear. How available do you think these issues are in ultra high-grade---as Raw books

Remember the trickle-down factor: As the earlier, hard-to-find issues continue to rise in value/price, it will bring up the books underneath. Also, bear in mind that -currently- low Census numbers in this range mean they're not yet worth it to slab 'em. But with talk of the movie bringing the title to the forefront, that will all soon change.

I think finding these in "ultra-high grade" will be tougher than normal because JLA was not a 'speculative' title, so neither dealers nor collectors hoarded them. But I'm referring to 9.8, not 9.6. Plus, I'm sure prices will soften on NM+s after the movie is released...even if it's a monumental success. So of course, timing is important. And I'm referring to both slabbed as well as raw. 9.6s should not be that tough.

As for 9.8s, try this example on for size:

I have a 1976 CGC #136 (Joker cover) which was the 1st 9.8 in 2003 (1 of 2 out of 19) that I wouldn't even think of letting go for less than $300.

'Course that's just me...I'm biased. :cloud9:

Rick

9.6's not that tough to find hm

I remember getting all the back issues of #120-140's when I was a kid :cloud9:

Too bad they are only mid-grades at this point

Rick,

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to pursue #101-200. I would be looking for

CGC 9.6 or better, but they seem to be sparse on the CGC census and seem to sell for too much when they do appear. How available do you think these issues are in ultra high-grade---as Raw books

Remember the trickle-down factor: As the earlier, hard-to-find issues continue to rise in value/price, it will bring up the books underneath. Also, bear in mind that -currently- low Census numbers in this range mean they're not yet worth it to slab 'em. But with talk of the movie bringing the title to the forefront, that will all soon change.

I think finding these in "ultra-high grade" will be tougher than normal because JLA was not a 'speculative' title, so neither dealers nor collectors hoarded them. But I'm referring to 9.8, not 9.6. Plus, I'm sure prices will soften on NM+s after the movie is released...even if it's a monumental success. So of course, timing is important. And I'm referring to both slabbed as well as raw. 9.6s should not be that tough.

As for 9.8s, try this example on for size:

I have a 1976 CGC #136 (Joker cover) which was the 1st 9.8 in 2003 (1 of 2 out of 19) that I wouldn't even think of letting go for less than $300.

'Course that's just me...I'm biased. :cloud9:

Rick

9.6's not that tough to find hm

I remember getting all the back issues of #120-140's when I was a kid :cloud9:

Too bad they are only mid-grades at this point

I'll have to make it out to a convention and look around. I would like to make it

to the Mid-Ohio Con, but it is held during Thanksgiving weekend every year :frustrated:

What are your minimum grade requirements for your JLA collection?

For me, #1-50 in at least CGC 9.0 or better

#51-100 in at least CGC 9.4 or better

#101-200 (if I decide to collect them) in at least CGC 9.6 or better

What about Brave and Bold 28-30? Man I don't think I could hold myself to those standards, especially when I'm trying to complete 4 other SA DC runs. I'm just happy when a book presents well on early Silver Age books.

I'm not sure about B&B 28-30. I would probably say CGC 8.0 or better.

When I decided to collect high-grade JLA, I told myself that I would not and could not collect anything else. It was either high-grade JLA or mid-grade issues of multiple different titles.

What about Brave and Bold 28-30? Man I don't think I could hold myself to those standards, especially when I'm trying to complete 4 other SA DC runs. I'm just happy when a book presents well on early Silver Age books.

I'm not sure about B&B 28-30. I would probably say CGC 8.0 or better.

When I decided to collect high-grade JLA, I told myself that I would not and could not collect anything else. It was either high-grade JLA or mid-grade issues of multiple different titles.

Sacrifice. For those without unlimited resources...sacrifice.

I sold my high grade GL's & Flashes to support my completion of JLA. Plus other odds 'n ends in my collection (HG copper Spideys, X-Mens, etc).

As for B&B, I sold my NM #28 to Metro at SD-con back in '93-94 when I really needed the money. Please don't ask for specifics or the price, too painful. Won't be collecting those 3 unless I hit the Lottery.

Rick

1-29 9.2 or better

30-99 9.4 or better

1-29 9.2 or better

30-99 9.4 or better

If you find a JLA #1 in 9.0-----I'm your man!! :grin:

Posted this in the general forum...but figured I'd contribute a little bit to the thread rather than just looking at all the pretty pictures.

Wife got me this for my bday:

jla68.jpg

slowly whittling down my needs for my JLA run.

Edited by jordanscott

Posted this in the general forum...but figured I'd contribute a little bit to the thread rather than just looking at all the pretty pictures.

Wife got me this for my bday:

jla68.jpg

slowly whittling down my needs for my JLA run.

(thumbs u for the comic

(thumbs u (thumbs u for your wife!