• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

What are your minimum grade requirements for your JLA collection?

For me, #1-50 in at least CGC 9.0 or better

#51-100 in at least CGC 9.4 or better

#101-200 (if I decide to collect them) in at least CGC 9.6 or better

1-29 9.2 or better

30-99 9.4 or better

I started at VF or better. Then got tired of paying to upgrade. So I finally settled on 9.4 or better for 1-50. And stopped collecting books outside of those. Even though I had 9.4 and 9.6 books scattered up through 120 or so.

Thanks Cap & Shadow,

that 9.2 is the highest graded copy that I've been able to find in over a year.

I don't believe there are any 9.4 or 9.6 copies

and I think I saw the highest graded copy posted on this thread by our very own tth2 (worship)

Yep, and Tim & I couldn't agree on a sale price at the time.

Depends on the grade range you're shootin' for.

9.0 or higher, a decade seems overly optimistic...even in these "internet-available" times.

Unless your Uncle's last name is Gates or Buffet.

But :wishluck: anyways.

Rick

What are the 10 hardest JLA issues to find in high-grade?

(I'll define high-grade as CGC 9.0 or better for issues #1-26

and CGC 9.4 or better for issues #27-100)

For 1-26, I think there are only four issues that are really hard to find in 9.0 or better: 3, 4, 24 and 26

I would agree with 3 and 4. The best copy I could ever come across between the two was the #4 at 9.2 that I passed on and I believe Rick now owns. At the time, the other issues I couldn't locate in 9.4 range were #6, 10-12, 22-25? Although I did find most of them in 9.0 range.

It seemed like after the mid to late 20 issues you could find 9.4 with much greater frequency than anything in the first 20 or so imo.

1-29 9.2 or better

30-99 9.4 or better

I started at VF or better. Then got tired of paying to upgrade. So I finally settled on 9.4 or better for 1-50. And stopped collecting books outside of those. Even though I had 9.4 and 9.6 books scattered up through 120 or so.

:o Welcome back to the boards, Scott!

1-29 9.2 or better

30-99 9.4 or better

Acesilver,

Good to have you on the boards. (thumbs u

I saw on your registry that you stopped collecting HG JLA. Are you actively collecting something else now?

Nice copy.

Unusual to see Mera on a JLA cover.

Is this the first? Is this the only?

Jack

JLA #88

JusticeLeague88.jpg

Jack,

I'm pretty sure that JLA #88 is the only cover that she is on---at least in the first 200 issues.

Nice copy.

Unusual to see Mera on a JLA cover.

Is this the first? Is this the only?

JLA #88

Jack,

I'm pretty sure that JLA #88 is the only cover that she is on---at least in the first 200 issues.

That was my guess. Thanks.

Jack

Acesilver,

Good to have you on the boards. (thumbs u

I saw on your registry that you stopped collecting HG JLA. Are you actively collecting something else now?

If you mean am I collecting any other HG titles or Silver Age, then no. I'm no longer in the hunt (which helps Tim out on carrying on the HG JLA legacy along with Rick :baiting:).

I have gotten hooked on a number of current DC storylines, GL, GL Corps (love the Sinestro Wars story arc), JLA, JSA, Checkmate, etc. But unless today's age becomes tomorrow's Silver Age I wouldn't call it a Pacific Coast collection of stuff. :grin:

I figured I'd give you a head start on post count so now I have a moving target to shoot for. lol

Still haven't figured out how to use the quote function, I see. :baiting:

I see that the CGC Book of the day is a JLA #20 in 9.4. If I was still in the hunt I'd have wanted that one. It was one of the few I never could find in 9.4 within the first 20-30 that I needed for my run.

Yeah, good thing you were out of the market by the time one came up on eBay, so I was able to pick it up for some ridiculous price like 2X Guide without you driving me up.

There's another copy on Heritage right now to tempt you. Prices are on the move in HG JLA-land, though, so I'm guessing this copy will go for more than the last.

I see that the CGC Book of the day is a JLA #20 in 9.4. If I was still in the hunt I'd have wanted that one. It was one of the few I never could find in 9.4 within the first 20-30 that I needed for my run.

Yeah, good thing you were out of the market by the time one came up on eBay, so I was able to pick it up for some ridiculous price like 2X Guide without you driving me up.

There's another copy on Heritage right now to tempt you. Prices are on the move in HG JLA-land, though, so I'm guessing this copy will go for more than the last.

Would love to have that JLA #20 in 9.4, but it's already bid up to $1000 for the

next bid :frustrated:

Acesilver,

How come you stopped collecting HG JLA? (shrug)