• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

its interesting that in the Heritage listings for JLA #1 and #2 that their Census chart INCLUDES a 9.6 #2 but NOT a 9.6 #1. Werent they graded at the same time and neither are in the Official Census as yet?

Or was this 9.6 #2 the second 9.6 to appear?

its interesting that in the Heritage listings for JLA #1 and #2 that their Census chart INCLUDES a 9.6 #2 but NOT a 9.6 #1. Werent they graded at the same time and neither are in the Official Census as yet?

There was already a #2 CGC 9.6, so the new finding in Kentucky (with the JLA #1 9.6 and JLA #3 9.4) is the 2nd #2 graded a 9.6

Ahem. From an earlier post in this thread:

JLA 1 1960 CGC 9.6

JLA 2 1961 CGC 9.6

JLA 3 1961 CGC 9.4

I didn't ask about PQ but would expect OW/W based on everything else in the collection.

Amazing! (worship) I had just about given up hope that a true 9.4 copy of JLA 3 existed, when even the Toth copy ended up being Qualified.

Even more amazing is that this will be the SECOND 9.6 copy of #2. Now there`s a mindboggling statistic. :o

Edited by tth2

reading with comprehension AND retention was always a failing of mines. oh, and spelling too. sue me! Shouldnt Heritage still note that the better copies now exist in CGC slabs so that their buyers might not find out later and be a bit upset? Or does "buyer beware/do your own homework" suffice?

reading with comprehension AND retention was always a failing of mines. oh, and spelling too. sue me! Shouldnt Heritage still note that the better copies now exist in CGC slabs so that their buyers might not find out later and be a bit upset? Or does "buyer beware/do your own homework" suffice?

at the time the catalogue was printed, they were the highest or tied for highest graded copies. i don't feel they have an obligation to update the descriptions. maybe an attorney in the crowd has an opinion.

at the time the catalogue was printed, they were the highest or tied for highest graded copies. i don't feel they have an obligation to update the descriptions. maybe an attorney in the crowd has an opinion.

This attorney doesn't think they have such an obligation, and in any event the current Census, the official source, still doesn't show a 9.6 JLA #1 or 2 9.6 JLA #2s. Not that I'm doubting Cheetah, but I think it's a bit much to ask an auction house to update its stats based upon a few posts on the CGC message boards (and I note that the pics of the books that were posted here were actually pics of pics of the books, not of the books themselves).

I have noted in some cases where Heritage knows that its book is not in the Census yet, that they will actually increase the Census count in their description above what the Census actually says. But they don't seem to do this all the time.

obviously, there are many honest reasons not to "manually" update the census as an auction goes along... there are 1000s of lots selling to 1000s of collectors. But, in this case we have a 30K book that when sold appears to be tied for best copy, when in a few weeks time, just about when it arrives in the buyers eager hands, a new BEST copy will be well known.

Of course this same argument says that all bidders on this 9.4 are or should already be aware of the 9.6 in the wings. But here again its good business practices for Heritage as they would be protecting their elite customers (the 30K and up a book buyers) thereby prolonging the relationship with honesty and good advice rather than what might be considered short sighted salesmanship.

good point that the 9.6 is still just a scan of a picture. Might not be real. right. Arent we here all convinced its the nuts? Just suggesting that Heritage think about going that extra mile in some special cases. Not that they are doing anything wrong.

What makes you so sure Heritage is aware of this thread or the new 9.6? Just because WE have no life doesn't mean they don't either. lol

I've always been sure that the folks at Heritage hang on my every word. meh

But really, do you think CGC would actually let Heritage know about a book of this quality before it got listed in the census? :baiting:

Probably not. It`s a big deal for us JLA fans, but Heritage sells a lot of books that go in the high five-figures to six-figures. I don`t think CGC would be on the phone to them right away to tell them about the new 9.6 JLA #1.

What makes you so sure Heritage is aware of this thread or the new 9.6? Just because WE have no life doesn't mean they don't either. lol

my life is so full, I have found myself in SA threads once or twice a day now lol

I dont think an alarm bell hotline call would be made, no. But these guys "chat" like we do and as comics lovers, the 9.6 JLA 1 is a juicy nugget to mention in a call made for other regular business reasons. (Unless proprietary reasons forbid it) It wouldnt be out of the ordinary for other "hovering bodies" in orbit around CGC to glean the info and start chattering... just as we are here. How many collectors and dealers have you guys mentioned this copy to since the news was broken here? Its not exactly like Heritage has to troll the boards to glean info like we do.

Ive notified Heritage about a book where in the auction listing it incorrectly stated the book was the sole highest graded copy (census had 2 copies in listed grade and in fact the copy in the auction was copy #2) and you can probably guess the response. Granted the book sold for only 15K+ plus but I doubt they would change anything unless somehow forced to when it behooves a higher sale.

I was thinking you guys should go for this!

Any predictions on what it will go for?

$25k. will be interesting to see which goes for more the jla #1 or the b&b #28.

the jla #1 and the B&B #28 went for exactly the same. $30k + juice.

I think the call of $60,000 or better will be met by the JLA 1 9.6. I think it will get bought for $75,000.

What do you think would be the best route to sell it? Heritage, CLink, Pedigree or just a private sale?

I think the call of $60,000 or better will be met by the JLA 1 9.6. I think it will get bought for $75,000.

What do you think would be the best route to sell it? Heritage, CLink, Pedigree or just a private sale?

I'd say a private sale would be the best option if you have a pretty good idea how much the book should fetch for.....because No Commission!

And you only need one buyer willing to pay the price, instead of 2 bidders...

but I could be wrong...

Tim is "tth2," a forum member who's been around awhile, who likes the occasional 9.4 & above CGC comic.

He's got money. Stay out of his way.

Hi Tim!

Rick

PS: the book in question is mentioned in spookley's post above.

That was the old Tim, Rick! Don't forget, I've downsized my collection significantly!

i suspect the "new" tim might own a jla #6 9.4 by the end of the week :baiting:

For the record, I didn't win the book. I was the underbidder. Someone wanted to pay more than 10X Guide for the book. Since Heritage started the floor auction at 2 am HK time, bidding live was not an option for me, so I was forced to just rely on my last internet bids.

Man, I was underbidder on a lot of books. :tonofbricks: