• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,060 posts in this topic

:o:applause:

Rick!!

P.S.---are you going to go for a complete set in 9.4 and above!!

:gossip: I hear there are some high-grade material in Kentucky (JLA #1-3)

Not likely. Just sprucing my own set up a lil. Probably gonna take a year to pay for these books!

And I'm perfectly happy with my 9.0 #2 & #3 (even with the slight CT). Besides, unless someone has a 9.4 raw set already, I don't see a slabbed 1-30 9.4 set ever coming to fruition. Ever.

Unless the Kentucky owner decides to keep what he's got and make the attempt. Then he needs to come after my #6...and the sole #4...and the two #5s...and one of the two #9s...the only #10...2 #16s...oops no #19 higher than 9.2 (so much for a 1-20 set in 9.4)!

Rick

I know what you mean Rick, I'm the one who should be saying I can't keep up with the heavy hitters. I recently bought a 13 in 8.5 and a 19 in 9.0 off of C-Link, but I'm happy with those grades. I'm happy when I can afford a 9.2, but can settle for an 8.5 or 9.0 when the price is right.

You sound like you're in the stage I was in a short couple of years ago, John: riding the fence. You want presentable copies without selling the farm to get them.

Becareful, though; the allure of those $$$ copies is pretty strong. Resist as long as you can, cuz there ain't no turning back!

Rick

can't hang w/ the heavy hitters- only picked up #8 and #14 in 9.4 and #5 in 9.2

The #14 was an exceptional pick up, and I would've gone for it if I would've realized that Rick and another bidder were going to go insane on the 9.6 copy. I think that used to be Nearmint's copy?

Edited by tth2

the sole #4

:hi:

the only #10

:hi:

Of course, with the way 9.4 copies of early SA DCs are coming out of the woodworks, this may be a very temporary condition.

Edited by tth2

Just received and adding to the pile:

Ok, now that I busted a nut up-grading, time to go back to filling holes.

hm

That previous sentence is just soo wrong.

Rick

:o(worship) (worship)

hm What grades are your undercopies?

Edited by john72tex

Is it just me or are the early JLA the best silver age covers period. All three of those are classics.

Overall I agree with you, but not about #13.

59587-cgcjla13.jpg

Too much dead space and the figures are too small. It reminds me of my least favorite early Green Lantern cover, #21. Same unappealing (compared to other DC color choices) yellow-orange background too.

59649-1448_4_021.jpg

Compare to these stronger (IMO) early covers, one of which overcomes the same yellow-orange color!

59651-1449_4_009.jpg

59650-1449_4_007.jpg

Great books anyway. I'd love to have copies as nice as yours!

Jack

Thanx all ! Doubt I'll ever need to (or want to) up-grade these babies ever again.

Too much dead space and the figures are too small. It reminds me of my least favorite early Green Lantern cover, #21. Same unappealing (compared to other DC color choices) yellow-orange background too.

Gotta disagree here. Always had a soft spot for the "battling yourself...how do you defeat an equal" storylines. And this cover just throws that plot right at you. Dead space? You make the heroes any bigger, and it crowds the cover. And you can only push them together so much; how close can the 2 GAs or WWs get? I am with you on the color though; I love it on #4, but they used it too much/too soon (7, 13, 18?, 30)

Rick

Thanx all ! Doubt I'll ever need to (or want to) up-grade these babies ever again.

Gotta disagree here. Always had a soft spot for the "battling yourself...how do you defeat an equal" storylines. And this cover just throws that plot right at you. Dead space? You make the heroes any bigger, and it crowds the cover. And you can only push them together so much; how close can the 2 GAs or WWs get? I am with you on the color though; I love it on #4, but they used it too much/too soon (7, 13, 18?, 30)

Rick

Of course it's all a matter of preference on the covers -- I'm not trying to talk anyone out of liking #13!

Here's an example of how (IMO) the "battling yourself" cover was done better on JLA. Better use of two larger, central figures with the others in the background. Almost the same background color again. Lots of examples on JLA books because of the annual "Crisis on Earth-whatever" stories.

59669-1449_4_030.jpg

Jack