• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

Great question. Pedigreed SA JLAs have been notable for their absence from the public market.

I have never seen a Western Penn, White Mountain, Mass or Curator JLA. If they exist, they've never been brought to market as such to my knowledge. Given the love of the WM OO for sci-fi related covers, you'd think there must be some WM JLAs. I own the Bethlehem MIS #75, but have never seen any Bethlehem JLAs. I've seen the odd Northland and Diamond Run, but never seen anything approaching a run.

The only recognized pedigree that has anything approaching a big run of JLAs is Pacific Coast, which seems to have a pretty complete run beginning from 21 or so. I don't recall seeing earlier issues, although I would be happy to be corrected on that count. The PC JLAs are unbelievable and probably average 9.6 if not higher, and not only represent most of the current top of census copies but there are also more than a few doubles. In yet another chapter in the book "It's Impossible to Ever Understand Robert Roter", he kept a lower grade PC JLA #24, one of the toughest books to find in high grade, and sold the better copy raw on eBay, which I was fortunate enough to win and later slabbed as a 9.8.

There of course is an as yet unrecognized pedigree which currently stands above all other JLA pedigrees known thus far, and that would be the David Toth pedigree. As far as I can tell, it's pretty much complete in terms of the earlier issues, and includes the B&B issues (including a 9.2 copy of #28). Average grade must be at least 9.4, with many of the toughest early issues represented in 9.4 or higher, including #1.

Wish I could remember who I bought my earliest issues from, but I never keep that detailed amount of info on the books. The earliest book I have from a known source is my #21 9.2 OW-W, which I picked up courtesy of Mile High back in '88. I believe it came with one of those "mile-high collection" certificates, but since I don't care about those things...I tossed it.

Rick

Great question. Pedigreed SA JLAs have been notable for their absence from the public market.

I have never seen a Western Penn, White Mountain, Mass or Curator JLA. If they exist, they've never been brought to market as such to my knowledge. Given the love of the WM OO for sci-fi related covers, you'd think there must be some WM JLAs. I own the Bethlehem MIS #75, but have never seen any Bethlehem JLAs. I've seen the odd Northland and Diamond Run, but never seen anything approaching a run.

Tim,

I think there was a Bethlehem JLA #1 CGC 8.5 that sold on ComicLink...maybe a year ago or so...it had a date stamp on the front cover...

Thanks for the info. So who is this David Toth? (shrug)

BD,

I believe he was a Canadian Doctor that collected comics in the late 50's and early 60's...I know there was a JLA #1 CGC 9.4...I remember that he has a son who also collects (I think the son was more into Marvel than DC)....

If you want to know more, check out the heritage website...there may be more of an official biography

unbelievable prices in this Sunday's Heritage Auction. 8-11x guide for a few 9.6's, issues #65,66,70

:tonofbricks: Rick got a great deal from me on a 9.6 #78 then.

Seems like the action was mostly in the later issues, though. The prices for the earlier issues were not particularly impressive, even though there were a decent number of 9.6s. On the other hand, a 9.6 #28 went for $1800 in one of the recent Sunday auctions, which was amazing.

The February Heritage Auction previews are showing a very nice run of JLAs, it will be interesting to see how they do.

unbelievable prices in this Sunday's Heritage Auction. 8-11x guide for a few 9.6's, issues #65,66,70

JLA 70 went for over $700 :o ...I wasn't even following the sunday auction....

Hefty prices on the JLA #65 and 66....I remember similar numbers for JLA #64 and 66 in a previous Comiclink auction months back...

Anyone interested in a JLA #64 or #66 CGC 9.6 :whistle:

Seems like the action was mostly in the later issues, though. The prices for the earlier issues were not particularly impressive, even though there were a decent number of 9.6s. On the other hand, a 9.6 #28 went for $1800 in one of the recent Sunday auctions, which was amazing.

The February Heritage Auction previews are showing a very nice run of JLAs, it will be interesting to see how they do.

Tim,

Are those your Pacific Coast JLA's? :o

Tim,

Natch. A few more in the 20s will be appearing soon.

Anyone who checks out the Ducks thread in the GA Forum will be able to see why I need to sell some JLAs.

Tim,

Natch. A few more in the 20s will be appearing soon.

Anyone who checks out the Ducks thread in the GA Forum will be able to see why I need to sell some JLAs.

I just checked out that thread....FC #9 9.4....

:o Sweet Book Tim!!