• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,061 posts in this topic

i overlooked the #18, i would have been a couple of clicks higher than the hammer on that book.

Not to worry, Mike, I'm sure there will be more 9.4 #18s for you to bid on in the future.

Late to the party (as usual). Let me give it a go:

#1 8.5 -- Though I didn't pay much attention to it, it seems a lil low.

#5 9.2 -- Dark edges (shadowing) & C-OW...surprised it sold so high.

#6 9.6 -- Outside of the slight mis-wrap & a couple spine ticks, what am I missing?

#9 9.4 -- ??? Seems like a bargain til you look at the back cover (major top edge and corner chipping).

#13 9.2 -- Relatively speaking, it sold for less than the last one. Comparatively speaking, there are 8 9.2/9.4's out of 57, so I wouldn't call it a steal. Good price, yes.

#14 9.2 -- Got my 9.4 for $1800 a lil over a year ago -was it NM's?- so I'll say boo-yah!

#16 9.2 -- And again, thanx to whoever popped this baby way up (almost 6X what I paid last year)

#20 9.4 -- I know why this pleases you Tim...

#22 9.0 -- Disappointing but not shocking.

#23 vs #28 9.6 -- Please explain Tim :) vs :screwy: for $100 difference on 2 relatively equal books. BTW, I bought the 28 (upgrade)! :grin:

Overall I thought it was well balanced for the JLAs; some deals, some records. Mostly healthy increases. And thanx for the compliment on my #6 Tim, but I'm going to have to dig it out & compare to the 9.6. Offhand, better centering is the only advantage I can recall on my copy. You guys definitely see something I don't.

"POS" Tim? Harsh dude. The #9 was much more over-graded IMO.

Rick

#6 9.6 -- Outside of the slight mis-wrap & a couple spine ticks, what am I missing?

I don`t know if the raw scans that the MC guys put up, before they got it back from CGC, are still available anywhere. But those "couple of spine ticks" in the scan of the slab looked a whole lot worse in the raw scan. Plus, some dust shadows and relatively blunt corners. Just did not impress me.

#23 vs #28 9.6 -- Please explain Tim :) vs :screwy: for $100 difference on 2 relatively equal books. BTW, I bought the 28 (upgrade)! :grin:

Because #23 is relatively tough to find in 9.6, whereas #28 is right up there with 18, 32, 37 and 41 as being always available in 9.6.

#23 -- 2/43

#28 -- 6/62

#18 -- 4/56

#32 -- 6/73

#37 -- 6/63

#41 -- 10/58

Yep, pretty high % for these. Plenty to go around...until the specs creep in.

You think steady availability has more to do with flippers dipping their toes in JLA waters? DC collectors historically hold onto their acquisitions longer, don't we? hm

Still like my upgrade. :)

Rick

#23 -- 2/43

#28 -- 6/62

#18 -- 4/56

#32 -- 6/73

#37 -- 6/63

#41 -- 10/58

Yep, pretty high % for these. Plenty to go around...until the specs creep in.

You think steady availability has more to do with flippers dipping their toes in JLA waters?

Could be. I'm pretty surprised to see that there are only 4 9.6 copies of #18, actually. The number of times that 9.6 copies have been up for sale certainly would cause you to think that there are a whole lot more copies. It's puzzling that more haven't found their way into a permanent collection rather than being constantly flipped, particularly the PC copy which doesn't look to me like some overgraded POS which therefore keeps being handed off like a hot potato.

Still like my upgrade. :)

Rick

(thumbs u Have you received it yet?

like some overgraded POS which therefore keeps being handed off like a hot potato.

Are you implying a specific JLA issue?

And no, taking my time paying. $2K for 1 book is a lot of money for me. Can't wait to start swimming around with the big boys.

wait...that came out wrong!

Rick

like some overgraded POS which therefore keeps being handed off like a hot potato.

Are you implying a specific JLA issue?

JLA 18. :gossip:

I`m amazed to hear that there are only 4 9.6 copies in the census. Those 4 copies must turnover once a year on average. So my point was that when you see that kind of heavy turnover in a book, there must be something wrong with it that causes it to get flipped soon after arriving in its new owner`s hands. And yet, most of the 9.6 copies of #18 that I`ve seen, particularly the PC copy, really looked fine.

Or do thay have remorse and flip it hoping to make a little extra and try an search out a deal on a different copy? (shrug)

From what I can see of prices, many of the flips couldn't have resulted in very much profit after factoring in commissions, shipping, etc.

OK, just checked CL and the PC copy went in July for over $2200 while a non-ped copy embarrasses itself by only going for $1300 the next month! Also, under "My Bids," a copy sold in March for $1700, last Nov for $1200 and $3500 in May '08 (the PC I'm guessing).

Nice run of consistency there.

Also of note: the last 2 sales state 5 9.6's, though the current census (11-16-09) shows only 4. Tom foolery? Shenanigans? A re-sub that backfired?

Rick

Uh guys, not to complicate matters further, but one of those 4 is mine...and has been since 2003. So now there are at max 3 copies selling over & over for the past 6+ years?.

Good point. Weird, huh?

i dunno the answer either, but it seems like a HG copy of 18 is in every major auction.

it seems to highlight the inherent deficiency in GPA, which is no fault of George's but rather the lack of voluntary / paid data submission by certain sellers / sites

If anyone wants to know price history of just about any notable SA DC book that's sold on CL in the past few years, I can provide it. But yes, CL's continued refusal to play along hurts GPA's data.

pm me all the Doom Patrols, please.

oh wait, you said "notable."

er

whatever fits the bill would be awesome. thx in advance

pm me all the Doom Patrols, please.

oh wait, you said "notable."

er

whatever fits the bill would be awesome. thx in advance

you have to laugh. i just zipped thru my 2009 clink auction results and there isn't one Doom Patrol sale. zippo, zilch, nada.

If anyone wants to know price history of just about any notable SA DC book that's sold on CL in the past few years, I can provide it. But yes, CL's continued refusal to play along hurts GPA's data.

what happened to "information is power?"

lol Clink is public data, just not easily retrievable. So I don't mind providing, particularly since the info would be available on GPA if Josh weren't so childish about the whole thing.

Names, where the books are--that's not public info.

Edited by tth2